Menu
Are you willing to take middle seat on airplane and train?
Mar 25, 2013 21:15
Voting without time limit
Exclusive Vote
  1. 46 vote(s)
  2. 76 vote(s)
Note: Guest voter(s) are not displayed here.
I saw a photo a few days ago. It shows that New Yorkers’ rides into the commuter trains. In the photo, the window and aisle seat are occupied but the middle seat isn’t. The train is very crowded. The aisles are jammed with passengers and some of them even sit on the floor. Why don’t they take the middle seat?

I searched on the internet to seek the answer. Actually, Americans hate center/middle seat. Those who take the middle seat take a great risk of being physically squeezed, unwillingly forced to listen the neighboring phone conversations, entering the ‘smell zone’ of foods eaten by their neighbors or heavy odors from the ladies who use perfume etc.

What about buses? They put their backpack, lunch box or any other articles to occupy the neighboring seat in case someone takes it. Why? They don’t want ‘close contact’ with their neighbors.

Do you hate the middle seat?
Mar 30, 2013 20:53
  • WANHU
Lonely, you mean buses also have middle seats?
Wan
Apr 1, 2013 04:14
Quote:

Originally Posted by WANHU

Lonely, you mean buses also have middle seats?
Wan

Sorry, buses usually have two neighboring seats. I have seen many Chinese people who put their bags on their neighboring seats. They are like Americans who don't want close contact with others. I met such a woman. I didn't stand far from her. Instead, I asked if she could take away her bag and let me sit down. She did as I said though she wasn't very happy.
Apr 1, 2013 09:15
  • WANHU
Yes Lonely, it happened to me too. But only some are inconsiderate.
Wan
Apr 9, 2013 18:09
GUEST09216 Airplane middle seats are the worst, in short flights or long flights. I always sit in an aisle seat.
Apr 9, 2013 22:53
Quote:

Originally Posted by GUEST09216

Airplane middle seats are the worst, in short flights or long flights. I always sit in an aisle seat.

Are you sure that you can always get the aisle seat? It's a shame that I haven't flown ever. But I have traveled by train many times. I personally prefer the window seat. It's too crowded on the train. So it's not wise to choose an aisle seat. Otherwise, you will have close contact with them.

But it's a bit inconvenient to sit at the window seat too. It's difficult for you to walk to the restroom if there are too many passengers. Sometimes, passengers with standing tickets plead to those who sit at the aisle seat if they can sit beside them. Then the space is limited and the one who sit at the window seat will suffer.

Apr 9, 2013 22:57
Quote:

Originally Posted by WANHU

Yes Lonely, it happened to me too. But only some are inconsiderate.
Wan

Well, it happened to me many times. Then I have found a way how to take the seat without bothering the passenger. All you need to do is smile and ask in a polite way. And make sure that you call them "Shuai Ge (handsome boy)" or Mei Nv (beautiful girl) when you ask them. It really works.
Post a Reply to: Are you willing to take middle seat on airplane and train?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code