Menu
What to eat in Hong Kong?
Jul 9, 2013 04:39
  • FLOWERCAI
Travelling in Hong Kong,never lost food!so,let me guide what to eat!

Dim sum (點心), literally means 'to touch (your) heart', is possibly the best known Cantonese dish. Served at breakfast and lunch, these delicately prepared morsels of Cantonese cuisine are often served with Chinese tea.
Dim Sum comes in countless variations with a huge price range from $8 to more than $100 per order. Common items include steamed shrimp dumplings (蝦餃 har gau), pork dumplings (燒賣 siu mai), barbecued pork buns (叉燒包 char siu bau), and Hong Kong egg tarts (蛋撻 dan tat). Expect more choice in upmarket restaurants. One pot of tea with two dishes, called yak chung liang gin is a typical serving for breakfast.

Siu Mei 燒味
Siu mei is pork roasted over an open fire or a huge wood burning rotisserie oven. With the addition of a slightly crispy honey sauce layer, the final taste is of a unique, deep barbecue flavour. Rice with roasted pork (叉燒 char siu), roasted duck, pork with a crisp crackling, or Fragrant Queen's chicken (香妃雞), are common dishes that are enduring favourites for many, including local superstars.It is recommended to taste the roasted pork with rice in 'Sun-Can' of PolyU.

Tea time 下午茶
Showing signs of British colonial influence, tea time (Ha ng cha) plays an important role in Hong Kong's stressful office life. Usually starting at 2pm to 3pm, a typical tea set goes with a cup of 'silk-stocking' tea, egg tarts and sandwiches with either minced beef, egg or ham, but without vegetables and cheese.
Similar to Malaysian 'teh tarik', Hong Kong's variation shares a similar taste. The key difference is that a sackcloth bag is used to filter the tea leaves and the tea-dyed sackcloth resembles silk stockings, giving the name 'silk-stocking milk tea'. Milk tea, to some Hong Kong people, is an important indicator on the quality of a restaurant. If a restaurant fails to serve reasonably good milk tea, locals might be very harsh with their criticism. Mandarin duck (Yuanyang) is also a popular drink mixed with milk tea and coffee.

Street food
Street food is thriving in this territory. Local specialities include curry fish meat balls (咖喱魚蛋), fake shark fin soup (碗仔翅) made with beans and vermicelli noodles, egg waffle (雞蛋仔) and fried three filled treasures (煎釀三寶, vegetable filled with fish meat).

TIPS:
Individual listings can be found in Hong Kong's district articles
With more than 50,000 rooms available, Hong Kong offers a huge choice of accommodation from cheap digs to super luxury. Most places are linked by the excellent public transport system that ensures all attractions are close at hand but budget travellers who are spoiled by cheap prices in many Asian countries are often shocked by the accommodation cost in this international city where rental payment is as high as London and New York.You must choose available room :
SO WOW!Are you crazy
Oct 7, 2013 06:07
  • MIRANDALOPEZ
Hi,

Because of the subtropical location, Hong Kong's weather is generally mild in winter and uncomfortably hot and humid in summer, with an average annual rainfall of 2.3m (89 in.). The most pleasant time of year is late September through early December, when skies are clear and sunny.
Oct 27, 2013 21:00
GUEST40138 I suggest Food is good an I have been to 83 countries, that is what I did.
Nov 13, 2013 05:25
  • WANHU
Not only accommodation, the foods too are highly priced. Just imagine, one small cup of milk tea, at a rundown stall in Chungking Mansion costs HKD20, crispy Nan bread also at HKD20. I dread to think the price of them at posh restaurants.
Wan
Nov 13, 2013 05:28
  • WANHU
Dim sum in Wan Chai is reasonably priced, for steam shrimp dumpling, formerly HKD10 for 4 pieces, now HKD12 for 3 pieces.
Wan
Nov 13, 2013 23:55
  • JIMMYB
Wan,

Do they have two table menus? One for the locals in HK and the other for the travelers. Some Chinese restaurants do have two table menus. When you order dishes, they give you the real one. When you pay for the bill, they give you another one. I am pretty sure that you will be shocked when you look at the second one. The prices of all dishes are more expensive.

Another trick is that they have two menus (one for Chinese tourists and the other for foreigners). Of course, dishes served to the foreigners are more expensive.
Nov 23, 2013 22:16
  • WANHU
So far the ones that I used to go do not have 2 different menus. I used to try the Indian food at Chung King Mansion along the Nathan Road as I brought along with me some Malaysians who'd love Indian food. Probably they have 2 sets of menus because with 12 Nan bread, 6 cups of tea, one plate of curry beef and one plate of curry chicken, we were billed HKD490.
Wan
Nov 27, 2013 01:05
  • JIMMYB
Never mind, Wan. I don't think the samething happens in HK. Here is a method: If you want to taste the best food, follow the locals. The restaurants filled with swarms of locals must have good food.
Post a Reply to: What to eat in Hong Kong?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code