Menu
What is the American dream?
Sep 4, 2013 03:30
  • CHERRY07
According to Daily Mail, a homeless man has bought a house and a car with the donation given by strangers who were touched by his honesty.

Billy Ray Harris, the homeless man, returned a 4000 USD engagement ring to its owner. The owner’s husband was touched by Billy’s honesty. Therefore, he built up a donation webpage as a “Thank you” to Mr. Harris who could have sold the ring. Three months later, 180000 USD have been raised for Mr. Harris.

Mr. Harris has eventually bought a house and a car. He describes his experience as “the American Dream”.

What’s the American Dream? I have heard this word a few times but I can’t fully understand what it refers to.

Sep 12, 2013 08:51
  • WANHU
I think initially an American dream is to have home and land, but later gradually changes to success and happiness and social mobility. It's a Chinese dream too to have good house with land. A dream is something not possible to achieve, once achieved it is said: a dream comes true.

What's your dream dear Cherry?

Wan
Sep 14, 2013 18:45
  • NOBODY
I believe that the American Dream is the dream of being able to be successful and it doesn't matter who you are or what you believe in. "From dishwasher to multimillionaire" used to be a very common phrase when I was young
Sep 15, 2013 01:05
  • CHERRY07
What's your dream dear Cherry?

Wan, I have many dreams. Just pick up some important ones to share. First, my parents and I are healthy. Second, I hope that I can meet a trustworthy husband. Third, I hope that I can have visit one destination I want to visit every year with my husband.
Sep 16, 2013 11:05
  • NOBODY
My dream is to belong to the upper middle class.

When people are rich, they worry that someone will take their money (though stealing or business)
When people are poor, they worry that they won't have enough money to buy food, pay rent, etc.
When people are in the middle, they worry about both a little.
But upper middle class, they don't need to worry about the economical crisis, because they have enough money in reserve. They don't worry about their money being taken, because they are daily working and spending money.

But what is the upper middle class? It's that state of life where I have my own little shop/business. Have 1-2 cars and can have a trip 1-2 a year. enough money to go to the hospital or to pay for a broken down car. Yet if I want to buy something bigger (new TV, computer, car) that I will have to save for a bit.
Sep 23, 2013 05:09
GUEST92131 Cherry07
The American dream is something that's different for different people. For most, it's owning a home. Then for others, it's owning a home free and clear (= no debt or mortgage).
It can also mean owning a sports car, travel around the world or a date with a Sport Illustrated's model. Or whatever, but mostly materialistic.
Sep 23, 2013 14:05
  • WANHU
Quote:

Originally Posted by CHERRY07

Wan, I have many dreams. Just pick up some important ones to share. First, my parents and I are healthy. Second, I hope that I can meet a trustworthy husband. Third, I hope that I can have visit one destination I want to visit every year with my husband.

Maybe I don't have dream(s) as I seldom sleep at night,and I daydream neither haha. My only hope and wish is I could get back on my feet with better health. I already have an intelligent and good hearted wife and I have already managed to visit many destinations. Now am trying to build a strong neighbourhood through Community Association.
Wan
Sep 23, 2013 21:27
  • CHERRY07
Nobody,

I think the the upper middle class refers to sucessful professional managers or other successful entrepreneurs. Well, I have heard middle class mnay times. Can you tell me what middl class refers to?

GUEST92131,

Thanks for your reply. I started this post because I read many Chinese articles that have mentioned that more and more Chinese people migrate to the USA to fulfill their American dream. However, I don't know exactly what American dream is.

Wan,

I think you will recover very soon. My best wishes to you!

Sep 24, 2013 23:02
  • NOBODY
CHERRY07,

I think I already stated what the upper middle class ist:

But what is the upper middle class? It's that state of life where I have my own little shop/business. Have 1-2 cars and can have a trip 1-2 a year. enough money to go to the hospital or to pay for a broken down car. Yet if I want to buy something bigger (new TV, computer, car) that I will have to save for a bit.

middle class is often referred to office workers having their own apartment or little house and in general no money problems.
Sep 24, 2013 23:48
  • GRIZ326
I have a home and land; 3 cars; fine firearms for hunting; and a good job that provides a reasonable amount of money. However, it is my good wife, our daughter (my step-daughter), and my few good friends that bring me happiness. All of them took care of me when I was near death 2 years ago. Today, my health is good - much better than I ever expected it to be. Of course, without good health, the "things" that you have are meaningless.

Our daughter graduates from the Skaggs School of Pharmacy in a year and a half, then our finances should improve. ...although winning the lottery would be helpful

All in all, I'd say that I have the American dream.
Sep 26, 2013 03:49
  • JIMMYB
I don't know about American dream. My Chinese dream is:
1. to buy an apartment. it seems that I never have a chance thanks to the so damn expensive housing prices.
2. marry a girl. It's too difficult if I don't have an apartment. As I said in another thread, the mother-in-law has revised the requirments for future son-in-law. I can meet her requirements.
3. have a baby. If I can't find a wife, how can I have a baby?
4. My parents and I can be in good health conditions. I really don't know what to do if my parents or I have serious sickness. I can't afford the expensive cost in the hospital.

Why is so difficult to realize my Chinese dream? I have done what I could. My salary increases every year but I still can't afford the first payment for the apartment.
Post a Reply to: What is the American dream?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code