Menu
What is your understanding of 1111?
Nov 13, 2013 00:47
  • SUNNYDREAM
If you take it as date, it means Bachelor’s Day in China, Veteran’s Day in the US and Couple’s Day in HK. Thanks to the booming online business in China, 1111 can also be regarded as Online Retailer’s Day, Consumer’s Day (totally different from the Consumer Rights Day) or shopping festival. It is reported that the total sales amount from Taobao.com (China’s largest online business website) has reached 35 billion RMB (5.7 billion USD) just on the Bachelor’s Day.

Many pregnant women have advanced or delayed their schedule of bringing their babies to the world. 1111 is not a lucky day for their children because they are worried that their children can’t find a wife or a husband in the future.

To me, 1111 also looks like two pairs of chopsticks or four deep-fried twisted dough sticks.
Nov 23, 2013 17:30
  • WANHU
Also Remembrance Day when the First World War ended. Even after Independence, school children in Malaysia were asked to sell "poppy" flowers during Poppy Day, to remember the fallen soldiers who died in the war (especially WWI).
Wan
Nov 27, 2013 00:07
  • SUNNYDREAM
Wan,

We have a similar ceremony. When I was in primary school, our principal brought us to present flowers to the martyrs at a park in our city on the Tomb Sweep Day. We were also brought to the cinema to watch documentary like Nanjing massacre. We were educated to remember those who sacrificed their lives for our country.

However, I still don't think it is a good idea to let kids below 12 years to watch bloody documentary like Nanjing Massacre. There are two violent scenes. I was scared when watching it.
Nov 27, 2013 08:15
  • WANHU
But Poppy Day was for the soldiers in WW1, celebrated on Nov. 11th. Our nation's independence was 1957 August 31st, and post WW2 there was insurgence and several dissatisfied citizen took arms to fight against the British, and Emergency was declared in 1948-1960. Although not many were killed, unlike the Cultural Revolution in China (1966-1976) but still a few thousands were killed. To commemorate the fallen soldiers, the Malaysian government erected a national monument in 1966.
Wan
Nov 27, 2013 21:17
  • SUNNYDREAM
Wan,

I am not very good at history. I don't think China played very important role in the WW1.
Nov 30, 2013 13:57
  • WANHU
Neither am I.
Wan
Dec 9, 2013 20:45
  • SUNNYDREAM
Wan,

Last night I read a German's post on his Weibo. He thinks that China just has 3500 years history. It's totally different from what we have been taught. We were taught that China has 5000 years long history when we were little kids.
Jan 21, 2014 06:40
  • WANHU
People may air their opinions, even historians and archaeologists. What we need are tangible proofs.
Wan
Jan 22, 2014 02:21
  • SUNNYDREAM
Yes. I ust watched a documentary about Egyptian pyramids last Sunday. The pharaoh, the ruler of Egypt, builds their mausoleum when they ascended the throne. Unlike Chinese emperors, the pharaoh builds pyramids as their mausoleum. Khufu’s pyramid is regarded as the grandest and largest one in Egypt.

After Khufu died, his son Radjedef became the new pharaoh. Some historians guessed that Radjedef killed his brother Kauab, married his sister and seized the throne. He was depicted as a cruel ruler in the past. After he became the new pharaoh, he also started to build pyramid. He didn’t build his pyramid near his father’s. Instead, he built a smaller one a bit far from his father’s pyramid. Therefore, someone guessed that he didn’t maintain good relationship with his family. That’s why he chose another location to build the pyramid.

However, the latest discovery proves that Radjedef was a good pharaoh. He didn’t build grand pyramid because he didn’t want to waste his people’s money. Besides, he built Sphinx sculpture which was based on the image of his father Khufu.

Thanks to this documentary, I have learnt much about the pyramids in Egypt. But it was really difficult for me to understand all the contents. The documentary was narrated in English.
Post a Reply to: What is your understanding of 1111?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code