Menu
Which city is the best shopping city in PRC?
Nov 26, 2013 00:33
  • SUNNYDREAM
An article from CNN reports that CNN has listed the world’s 10 best shopping cities.
No.1 New York
No.2 Tokyo
No.3 London
No.4 Kuala Lumpur
No.5 Paris
No.6 Hong Kong
No.7 Buenos Aires
No. 8 Vienna
No.9 Dubai
No.10 Madrid
No.11. Milan
No.12 Seoul

Which one is the best in your eyes? Ok, I also have a question for those who have visited PRC. Did you go shopping when you traveled in China? Which is the best shopping city in your eyes?

Nov 27, 2013 10:53
  • WANHU
Most cities that you listed down are for shopping without having to bargain, unless night market in Hong Kong. On the contrary, purchasing things in China needs bargaining skills, which not easy for non-business people to know the minimum cost or price. Each city in China has its own strength. In Shanghai, last year I was in Puxi, and we went to one watch shop to change a battery. The man said, it will take 3 days, and the cost will be RMB170. I told my niece better change the battery in Kuala Lumpur. It was only RMB15.

Anyway, Guangzhou offers many options and is a shopping haven for many business people. all over the world. And of course one needs local guide to interpret and bargain.

Wan
Nov 27, 2013 20:29
  • SUNNYDREAM
Bargaining is an art. We customers never win in the battle between the businessmen and us. As you said, you can't bargain at certain places, for example, big shopping malls. When you buy from the vendors, you should bargain as much as you can.
Nov 28, 2013 08:02
  • WANHU
Vacationers do not have time to waste on bargaining thus China cities do not belong to the top 10 in the eyes of CNN. Perhaps.
Wan
Nov 28, 2013 20:27
  • SUNNYDREAM
Did you mean tourists visit Top 10 shopping paradises and bargain there? Then these places become the top 10 shopping cities?

Sometimes, you can bargain at the shopping centers. I did and got some discounts. Don't be shy to bargain.
Nov 30, 2013 12:54
  • WANHU
On the contrary, dear Sunnydream, most people, don't like to bargain. They would prefer fixed prices.
Wan
Dec 1, 2013 03:27
  • SUNNYDREAM
Wan,

They don't bargain because they are afraid of losing their faces. They are afraid of someone saying 'He/she can't afford to buy it." Comparing with losing face, I'd like to try to bargain because it saves some money.
Dec 5, 2013 11:37
  • WANHU
Dear Sunnydream
They don't bargain not because of worrying they lose face, it's the conduct of business in most big cities outside China. Prices are mostly fixed, thus buyers will buy at the same price, like others. Thus when people go to certain cities (besides China) they feel at ease because things they buy will not be overpriced.

in October 2010 I visited Beijing with some academicians. At one flea market, I was greeted by a man saying that he was happy that his wife gave birth to a son and would give me RMB5000 instead of the usual RMB15000 for a jade bracelet. In December the same year, the same man informed me that he was happy to see me as a Malaysian because his Malaysian wife just gave birth to a son a week before and would be happy to give me a jade bracelet at RMB6000 instead of RMB20000 but then I shouldn't tell others about this offer. It was only for my group. We just smiled at him thanking for his kind offer, and of course we didn't buy anything.

Wan
Dec 8, 2013 20:11
  • SUNNYDREAM
Ok, I understand it, Wan. Here in China, especially in the markets or tourist attractions, you should bargain as much as you can. Once I saw two foreigners who bought souvenir outside of Yuyuan Garden. They didn't speak Chinese but they still bargained with the vendors. They used their fingers to communicate with the vendor. That's very funny.
Last edited by SUNNYDREAM: Dec 8, 2013 20:13
Post a Reply to: Which city is the best shopping city in PRC?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code