Menu
BJ National library
Dec 28, 2013 10:37
  • WANHU
On Dec 25 I went to the National Library of China. Just around the corner of National Library Line 4 Metro Station. I thought of asking about any brochure about it so I could browse through such an article. I went to inquire and the desk office who spoke a little bit of English asked me to register first. I did register but then for what purpose? It was rather for using the reading room! I don't blame her too as my interpreter didn't understand library jargons either.

Wan
Dec 28, 2013 20:58
  • JIMMYB
Wan,

I never had a chance of reading in the NL. But I went to the provincial library of Shaanxi several times. They do require me to show my ID before entering. It's kind of registration. If you borrow books outside of the library, you will be asked to deposit some money and apply for a card for borrowing books.

Perhaps, the books in the NL are too precious. So they do everything to ensure the safety and record everyone who enters the library. I searched on the internet about NL in Beijing. Some people complain that the staff there are not professional. They don't provide good service to the readers. By the way, it's too expensive to copy books inside.
Dec 31, 2013 01:34
  • WANHU
Dear Jimmy
My initial intention is not to read books but rather to enquire about the set up of the library, and should there be any brochure pertaining to the National Library. How many dvisions it has and what kind of services it provides. For general info, I could get from the internet, but with a brochure from the National Library itself could provide an opportunity for other officials from Malaysia who would like to visit such an establishment that boasts to be the biggest library in Asia.
Wan
Dec 31, 2013 02:02
  • JIMMYB
That's strange, Wan. Since I never been there, I don't know if they have free brochures.
Jan 10, 2014 10:03
  • WANHU
Dear Jimmy, even small public library would have simple brochure(s) informing the public what kind of service it provides. I have been to JT Library in Xinhui about seven years ago, and its librarian was quite user-friendly and explained to me of its services and provided me a guided tour of the library. I am sure being a nation's main library that houses collections for its national heritage would be good to inform the pblic with at least a simple brochure. Perhaps it is too costly to prepare such a brochre.
Wan
Jan 10, 2014 10:05
  • WANHU
brochure*
Jan 21, 2014 00:22
  • JIMMYB
Wan,

Those libraries look like some scenic spots. Some provide free brochures to the public but some don't. Excluding the information provided in the brochures, it's also a piece of good souvenir.
Jan 21, 2014 04:23
  • WANHU
Dear Jimmy, before going to the National Library of China, I did browse through its website at: http://www.nlc.gov.cn/newen/ that tells about its services and I just wished to know more and I am sure librarians at the Information Desk should be well-versed of its activities, and if they can't at list they could provide a simple brochure. Each nation has only one national library and its main purpose besides research is a repository centre for its national heritage. With its great project with IFLA for example, it would be great for the public to know.
Wan
Jan 22, 2014 03:29
  • JIMMYB
Wan,

Your experience has proved that Beijing National Library still has a long way to go if it wants to be a world-class library.
Jan 28, 2014 05:12
  • WANHU
Dear Jimmy, I have penchant for libraries and I'd try my best to visit them whenever I have the opportunity as I view libraries are the source of vast information and knowledge. I even visited a small library such as JT public library in Xinhui.
Wan
Mar 13, 2014 03:41
  • JIMMYB
Wan,

I haven't been to the library after my college life ends. What a shame!
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: BJ National library
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code