Menu
Your genes decide how much liquor you can drink
Jan 27, 2014 02:58
  • SUNNYDREAM
Do you believe excessive drinking can kill a person? A 32 years old Chinese drank 250 ml Chinese liquor and went to sleep. Next morning his friend asked him to have breakfast and found that he was already dead. The police did a field investigation and found that the man choke to death because of the vomits on the floor. What a pity.

I am a girl who has poor drinking capacity. Every time I drink wine or Chinese liquor, my face blushes. I have a friend who is a doctor. He told me that my face blushed because there was something wrong with my metabolic capability.

The alcohol goes into the bloodstream when we drink. Then the alcohol changes into acetaldehyde with the help of alcohol dehydrogenase secreted by the liver. Then acetaldehyde dehydrogenase decomposes acetaldehyde into acetic acid. At last, another kind of enzyme in the liver decomposes acetic acid into carbon dioxide and water.

People like me are lack of alcohol dehydrogenase. As a result, alcohol can’t be decomposed into acetaldehyde, which makes my face blush. My friend warned me that I should avoid drinking wine and Chinese liquor. If I keep drinking liquor or wine, I will have my liver hurt. If it is getting worse, there will be something wrong with my heart and brain.

People whose faces get white when they drink are lack of both alcohol dehydrogenase and acetaldehyde dehydrogenase. The more alcohol you drink, the more oxygen is consumed during the process of the process of metabolism. It’s the reason why your face turns white.

Some people believe that they can enhance their drinking capacity if they drink more and more wine or liquor. It’s true that your body tolerance to alcohol can be improved temporarily but your body will be hurt if you keep drinking.

Outwardly your face can tell whether you can drink liquor or not. Inherently, your genes have already decided how much liquor you can drink because you can’t increase your alcohol and acetaldehyde dehydrogenases.
Jan 28, 2014 04:58
  • WANHU
Better not to consume things that are hazardous to our health.
Wan
Feb 7, 2014 00:48
  • CHERRY07
Sometimes you can't decline alcohol or cigarette. If the manager in your company proposes a toast to you, will you say "No, I don't drink"? If you did say it, you might have offended him. Your behavior (turning down his proposal makes him lose face).
Feb 8, 2014 18:59
  • WANHU
It's good to think of others, but others too, need to think of us. While smokers have the right to smoke at the same time non smokers also need to be respected. There is no compulsion in either smoking or drinking, or even eating. It is up to an individual to choose or to decline. Just be sincere to ourselves and health.

In one of the social gatherings, I was offered a cigarette by one CEO but I politely declined the offer, informing him I never smoke and dislike smoking. He put back his pack of cigarettes in his pocket and apologised.

Wan
Feb 11, 2014 23:55
  • GRIZ326
Your body weight influences how much alcohol you can consume.

I know that my Grandmother (from Ireland) and my Wife (Han Chinese) turn red when they've had a bit too much, so perhaps genetics has something to do with it.

Moderation in all things, but realize what is moderate for a big man is not moderate for a petite young woman.

Regularly drinking to intoxication will eventually kill you.
Mar 13, 2014 03:49
  • JIMMYB
I don't drink and smoke. I do hate those who smoke in public. I want to tell those who smoke "For the sake of your family, you should give up smoking."
Post a Reply to: Your genes decide how much liquor you can drink
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code