Menu
A controversial sculpture
Jan 27, 2014 21:05
  • JIMMYB
Wu Song is a hero in the Chinese classical novel Water Margin. He once killed a tiger with his two bare hands when he was drunk. Wu Song’s big brother has a beautiful wife called Pan Jinlian. Pan was deeply attracted by Wu Song when she met him for the first time. Later, she seduced Wu Song but got refused and scolded for her disloyalty to her husband.

Wu Song’s big brother is an ugly dwarf who makes his living by selling steamed cakes. Pan Jinlian was dissatisfied with him and didn’t want to live in poverty all her life. She got to know a handsome and wealthy man Ximen Qing and had an affair with him. Wu Song’s big brother found that his wife had an affair with Ximen Qing. Then he argued with Ximen Qing but got beaten badly. Ximen Qing and Pan Jinlian were afraid that Wu Song’s big brother asked Wu Song to revenge for him. Then they poisoned him to death.

Wu Song finally learnt about the truth that his big brother was poisoned to death by Ximen Qing and Pan Jinlian. Then he killed Pan Jinlian first and then brought her head to Ximen Qing. Ximen Qing was scared and killed by Wu Song.

Those who read the novel should understand that Wu Song killed Ximen Qing and Pan Jinlian to avenge the death of his big brother. However, a modern Chinese sculptor has different understanding. In his opinion, every man has instinctual impulse (sexual desire) when he faces a beautiful girl who has a shapely figure. So does Wu Song. He just controls his instinctual impulse because he clearly knows Pan is his big brother’s wife.

Therefore, this sculptor creates a controversial sculpture. Wu Song raises a dagger in hands and licks Pan Jinlian’s breasts with his tongue. What do you think of it?

His sculpture makes me think that Wu Song is not a hero anymore. He is just a Lech who has sexual desire for his brother’s wife.

Jan 28, 2014 05:31
  • WANHU
Dear Jimmy, do not easily get influenced or distracted by someone's opinion.
Wan
Feb 7, 2014 01:01
  • CHERRY07
Such a sculpture shouldn't have been displayed in public. It should be placed in a modern art museum for those visitors with "high taste" of modern art.

I just have a question "How many men can resist the lure of a very beautiful girl?"
Feb 8, 2014 21:21
  • WANHU
A simple question but not easy to answer unless one has moral dignity.
Wan
Feb 11, 2014 01:01
  • JIMMYB
Cherry,

You really posed a good question. I haven't experienced the situation you mentioned. So I don't know if I will resist the lure.
Feb 12, 2014 00:09
  • GRIZ326
The sculpture is troublesome. It looks like the sort of "shock art" that we see in the west. The connection to the classic novel seems more like cover for the "art" than a true interpretation.

As for the larger question...

Men and women both are animals with instinctive drives. We do not often hear about women losing control. Men are such suckers for women. Geeeeesh!

The golden rule is: Never mess with another man's wife.
Mar 13, 2014 03:38
  • CHERRY07
Jimmyb, you are very honest.

Griz, women lose control too. But they regret and blame men for what happened.

The golden rule is: Never mess with another man's wife. One more sentence, never mess with another woman's husband. It a woman does, she must have very low taste.
Post a Reply to: A controversial sculpture
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code