Menu
Cantonese or Mandarin?
Nov 11, 2009 01:40
GUEST23224 Learn to speak only Mandarin if you are not too language gifted. Otherwise, learn Cantonese first then Mandarin. It is way easier to learn how to speak Mandarin if you know Cantonese than the other way around for most people.
May 27, 2010 05:55
GUEST48217 Of course Cantonese!
Aug 21, 2010 22:46
GUEST48218 i think mandarin because when you learn it, afterward you can tell which girl is really interested in you just bc of you for your money, for foreign sized mandarin poker, or for the funny way which you will use the four tones.
Aug 23, 2010 23:14
  • SIMOOON
Mandarin and Cantonese are of equal importance, useful both are in China and in its Special Ecomomic Zones.
Both useful even in Oversea Communities.
He or She views one language being better than the other should really broaden ones horizon before acting on any criticism.
Those who listen to criticisms and learn from criticisms has potential..
Those who let go of their bias view would find enlightment to true equality.

ps: just passing by this forum.
Feb 26, 2011 23:55
GUEST64242 hmm...this post is old lol
but anyways
I did spoke chinese wheni was younger though.
english was my 3rd language.
first was thai, chinese and then english.
I forgotten chinese due to past events.
but i retain my Thai and i taught myself how to read and write Thai and i can read stuff my thai frends messages me and etc.
As for chinese, i have a hongkong accent (friends said).
i found it easier to learn cantonese then mandarin for me cause you can express emotions and the songs are better in cantonese. but mandarin i do struggle with the tones at first cause it has to be perfect but i am confused when thai and mandarin has the same 4-5 tones. Thai words fall together in a sentence but mandarin u have to be percise. As for Cantonese, I just say the words normally like I am speaking and it comes out right lol
well I do have a gift to learn languages, ick how.
Yes, I was born and raise in USA my whole life.

Back to the subject, it is more beneficial to learn Mandarin and if you can, cantonese if you plan to stay and conduct regular on basis business in China. (^_^)
May 15, 2011 22:35
GUEST48245 Which dialect is spoken more at the wholesale markets in Quangzhou and Yiwu? Cantonese or Mandarin?
May 16, 2011 20:12
GUESTDAVE
Quote:

Originally Posted by GUEST48245

Which dialect is spoken more at the wholesale markets in Quangzhou and Yiwu? Cantonese or Mandarin?

In Guangzhou, probably Cantonese ; in Yiwu, it's Yiwu dialect. But Mandarin is used in both places.
Sep 9, 2011 11:41
GUEST45729 Learning another language will take time but at the end well worth it. I was born in Macau and grew up in Hong Kong but left pretty young to America. I am also part vietnamese but I understand both mandarin and vietnamese. It's hard to communicate with another Mandarin Speaker if you speak Fluent cantonese and speak little mandarin. I can speak a little mandarin but will go back to school someday and learn mandarin to fully know it because in the business industry thinking of going abroad for business. I have lived in San Francisco for over 15+ years so I am use to cantonese(chinatown) speaks almost 70% to 80% cantonese where there will be the same amount. I also read the Singtao Newspaper so more use to Cantonese. I will learn mandarin later when not busy.
Oct 30, 2011 12:19
GUEST23649 My boyfriend is going to work in Hong Kong and he is choosing between Mandarin and Cantonese too.
He took free lessons of both Mandarin & Cantonese online and he said Mandarin is way easier.
However, he said he likes how Cantonese sounds and so he is planning to learn Cantonese. He said he just feels the attachment of Cantonese, it just makes him feel better when he speaks in Cantonese.

Plus, it is much harder to learn Cantonese if you start off with Mandarin, you can ask your Chinese friends whose native language is Mandarin to see if they are having an easy time learning Cantonese haha.

So, I think if you want to learn both, do Cantonese first. If you tell the mainland chinese who speak mandarin that you know Cantonese, they will all say that you are super awesome man!

Well, anyway, as long as you speak english.. I think you can survive in the business field in China.
Page 4 of 4    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Cantonese or Mandarin?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code