Menu
Cantonese or Mandarin?
Jan 4, 2009 14:56
GUEST64161 From a gentlemen I know in Australia that is a language teacher and speaks both Mandarin and Cantonese. He once told me that Mandarin is the main language and most useful to learn but Cantonese is more colorful. You can give greater expression to your stories and you can curse a lot more. Haha. From the time he has spent in different parts of China, he has used Mandarin more often in public but preferred to tell stories in Cantonese to those that spoke both languages.
Jan 11, 2009 21:32
GUEST22197 Mandarin!
Jan 28, 2009 06:56
GUEST10363 There are Chinese people all over the world like in Canada and they speak a form of chinese. Which are they speaking? I mean which is popular internationally?
Jan 29, 2009 03:58
  • ELLYSE
Cantonese if you're talking about Chinese immigrants in North America (continent).
Otherwise, if you're talking about Taiwan, South-East Asia and such, it's usually Mandarin, or other forms of "distorted" Hokkien or Cantonese.
Jan 30, 2009 10:13
  • DANO
I have been studying Mandarin for the past three years, it is still very difficult. I hear Cantonese is way more difficult with the 9 tones. But, aside from what everyone else has said, I know native Mandarin speakers trying to learn Cantonese because many businesses here in the U.S. are run by Cantonese speakers and most of the staff speak Cantonese. Countless times I have gone into a businesses and spoke Mandarin only to find out the person helping me really spoke Cantonese, mainly the older generations. You have to becareful not to offend anyone by assuming they speak Mandarin. Good luck with the with what you choose, it is both humbling and fun.
Feb 1, 2009 07:10
  • JOSHIRV57
Dano,its unbelievable where all of you get your information from,and well enough to tell other people,when you dont know yourselfs.
Feb 19, 2009 09:56
GUEST98101 It depends on where you go into china. Search it up in the internet! ^^
Mar 25, 2009 08:03
GUESTANDREW If you're going to work or live in China, you'll need to learn Mandarin.

If you're going to work or live in the province Guangdong, you can survive on Mandarin but learning some Cantonese would help too.

As for Chinese people outside Asia, most of them speak Cantonese but this is changing rapidly - Mainland Chinese are getting wealthier every day, and many wealthy ones emigrate.

Have a look at my comparison of Mandarin and Cantonese if you're interested in knowing about the differences between the two ... http://whitey.net/comparison_of_cantonese_and_mandarin_chinese_dialects.htm

I’ve also put real reviews of books, courses, and electronic translators that I have used to learn Chinse: http://whitey.net.
Aug 7, 2009 07:24
GUEST76161 I love China and it's people, and I recomend learning Mandarin, then if you want to, going on to learn Cantonese.
Oct 11, 2009 20:00
GUEST63158 umm no not really! its more like over 1billion to 10 millions (GUEST11613) I know both speak both and im born in beijing yes mandarin is more famous but canto is way funner and if you learn mandarin first its nearly impossible to speak canto. My word: learn both first canto then mandarin
Page 3 of 4    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Cantonese or Mandarin?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code