Menu
A good teacher??
Sep 5, 2005 22:36
  • CONNY129
Once a Canadian and an British teacher gave us a lecture about something I can't remember now ,but I will never forget that when the Canadian was explaining his ideas ,I was totally confused and felt ashamed of my poor English ability ,but when the British teacher opened his mouth ,well ,excellent London accent ,I could understand him all ,fully self-satisfied ,yup~~
Sep 6, 2005 03:40
  • GAZ07
Conny, i love you for that last comment =)

Take note Kyle!!
;)
Sep 6, 2005 03:45
  • CALIFORNIA
haha,I have the same experience of Conny!but not canadian,the other is australian!I only can understand 20% of the australian!
And now,when I watch the Tennis Open Game,I can understand Henman's words,I have never understood Hewitt's!
Oh,it is too bad!
Sep 6, 2005 03:50
  • RITA
I had problems to understand people from Scotland and the English Italian people speak:), but I had a Scotland lady as teacher, oh, God!
Sep 6, 2005 03:54
  • CALIFORNIA
haha,I am worried about when I listen the Russian english!
Sep 6, 2005 04:38
  • CONNY129
Hi ,Gaz07,I noticed that you are from Manchester
^_^
Sep 6, 2005 04:55
  • GAZ07
Yes, i live 20km from Manchester. So i have a nice accent ;) And my friend Kyle is from Canada!

Only joking though. Actually me and Kyle worked for the same teaching agency in Thailand and our boss thinks he's great!

There are people from London with horrible accents too! During my "teacher training," rule number one was to speak slowly and clearly. Without doing this, the rest of the lesson could be about anything... because nobody understands!
Sep 6, 2005 07:29
  • JABAROOTOO
It's interesting to hear which accents are considered easier to understand. I'm a native Englsih speaker and I often have trouble understanding, folk from Scotland, Manchester, Canada, the US, South Africa and of course my own countrymen. It's got to do with elocution and how well a person articulates. i.e. does he breath properly open his mouth or mumble. Unfortunately most of us do not get this kind of speech training.
As for the listener, well we each have to hone our listening skills.
It's the same for us foreigners when we travel around China. We have difficuly understanding the PutongHua spoken in different areas of the country. Some is clear and well spoken and some is well....... what can I say but almost unintelligable.
The key here is to speak at a moderate speed and articulate clearly and you should have no trouble being understood.
One would hope that schools would take into consideration some of these issues before employing prospective teachers but the demand is still higher than supply so there you have it.
And for many schools a foreigners real benifit is not in the ability to teach but the ability to pull in fee paying students.
Sep 6, 2005 08:55
  • CALIFORNIA
haha,I want to listen Gaz's accent!!!
Sep 6, 2005 09:07
  • RITA
I want to attend Jabarootoo's class the most. :)
Page 2 of 4    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: A good teacher??
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code