Menu
A good teacher??
Sep 6, 2005 09:19
  • CALIFORNIA
Jabarootoo must be a good teacher,I think!
Sep 6, 2005 20:09
  • CALIFORNIA
haha,Wocca!I love you style,every reply followed by a little pic:-)
Sep 7, 2005 04:42
  • JABAROOTOO
Funny that we seem to be the hardest to understand. Me personal experience has been quite the opposite with lots of comments on how easy I am to understand. Negatives would be the speed of delivery.
But I would have to say that listening skills are the weakest of almost everyone I meet here, whether student or teacher. I find some of this is naturally a lack of experience with foreign speakers and the rest is cultural.
Sep 7, 2005 04:53
  • JABAROOTOO
Another advantage many Australians have is a lot of exposure to both British and American language through movies and television. This often makes us quite familiar with many idiom and differences in vocabulary from our three nations.
And believe me there are quite a lot of differences when you start delving and not just between these three counties, but all the English speaking countries.
It's a mine field out there for the English learner and its' good to give them some indication of the subtle and not so subtle differences from country to country.
Sep 7, 2005 09:59
  • GAZ07
Sorry CALI, i don't have the Manchester accent. I never did. I have been told i sound American, Australian, Swedish, German and one native New Yorker said i sounded Mexican!?!?! haha.

Are Chinese students taught american or british english?
Sep 7, 2005 10:07
  • CALIFORNIA
haha!I don't want to listen the Manchester accent!I think most of chinese students learn the american english!
Sep 7, 2005 10:41
  • CALIFORNIA
Btw,I love listening to the Latian Americans!It is very very very arioso when they speak!Maybe because of Spanish!!!
Hi,Gaz,mexican british!
Sep 7, 2005 22:19
QUOTE: "The parents of students in particular prefer foreign teachers to be white skinned, English native-speakers from English-native speaking countries (UK, Australia, NZ, Canada, USA).

It is a bit difficult for schools to justify paying extra money for anyone else."

If they prefer teachers to be "white skinned" native speakers from the countries you have mentioned, this is because they have been prejudiced against people of color. "White is right" is an American saying that has come to be true about for White people all over the world.

I am a trained African American, holding two degrees, and work on a third degree from American universities. I have a BA in English, Journalism, and Communications; I have an MA in English and African American Literature; I have completed all but my dissertation for a PhD in English; I have studied Education classes and past the State and National Teacher's Examinations to be licensed to teach English and Journalism on the secondary level in American schools; I have taught English in public and private American high schools for 4 years; I have taught English in American colleges and universities for over 16 years, and I am teaching English right now at Foshan College of Foshan University where I am the ONLY foreign teacher. Prior to teaching in this Asian country, I have taught English in Japan and South Korea.

Not only have my students requested of me to remain in China for longer than my 1-year contract, but also has many of my Chinese colleagues. Not only have my Chinese students told me that I am a better teacher, that I know what to give them, than did the previous "White" non-degreed teachers, but also so has my Chinese colleagues. The College Administrators of my school have praised me for the work I have done and have said to me that my students love me!!!!
Chinese parents where I live have approached me and asked me to teach English to their children. The same is true of the parents I have met on my travels.

While being a good teacher doesn't mean you have to be degreed, it does help you in being able to teach correctly. Having the passion to teach is equally important, but passion alone does not mean that you will be a "good" teacher either. Likewise, being "White" doesn't mean you are more knowledgeable and therefore a better teacher than someone of color.

We need to move beyond this kind of prejudice!!!!

Signed—A proud, educated African American
Sep 7, 2005 22:28
  • DOUTIN
To PRAISEHIMANYHOW:
don't go back to disneland,
china needs teachers like you,
not policemen and soldiers...
Sep 7, 2005 22:38
In my haste to write this reply, I overlooked two mistakes: about for (in paragraph 1), should be "about/for"; past the... (in paragraph 2) should be "passed" the; and both of the but also has (in paragraph 3) should be "but also have."

A sign of a good teacher also is humility--the ability to admit when he or she has made a mistake.

Praisehimanyhow
Page 3 of 4    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: A good teacher??
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code