Menu
Simatai Great Wall
Aug 28, 2005 18:11
  • DEEJ417
A friend and I are making our first trip to China in January. The tour we are on included a trip to the Badaling great wall, however we were wanting to take the 'road less travelled.' I have heard the Simatai section is awesome, and our tour provider was able to switch our itinerary to include it. I'm just looking for some feedback. Will we survive considering it will be the dead of winter?
Aug 28, 2005 22:57
  • CALIFORNIA
haha,you are so humorous!You will be very very very safe,because in Samatai Great Wall,the most dangerous parts wasn't opened to the tourists!!
Aug 28, 2005 23:21
  • GAZ07
Great decision.

Simatai was one of the highlights of my whole trip in China. All my photo's are without other tourists and the views were stunning.

Although it can be a little steep in places, don't worry about danger. If your lucky it will have snowed and thats the most spectacular view of all!
Aug 29, 2005 00:40
  • CALIFORNIA
To Gaz07:you are so lucky that you were in snow in Si Ma Tai!!!
Admiring......
Aug 29, 2005 03:03
  • ELCABRON
Simatai is the place to be for the true ancient Great Wall without masstourism and tourist traps. The wall goes up on the thin mountain ridge looking like a dragons back. It`s in the original state without the newest renovations like in Badaling, which is more like a Disney Land. In Simatai the wall is broken, steps are missing and trees grow on the Towers. Some parts are so steep you need to go on your feet and hands! Be aware, there are no banisters stopping you from falling down the cliffs. Here you can enjoy the silence of this magnificent world heritage on your own. Ive been there with a friend on our own for a whole day - not one single soul came passing by. It was great

Aug 29, 2005 03:07
  • ELCABRON
BUT mass tourism is already at the gates because they were already building tourist shops in the valley.
And if you arrive in summer, I guess it can get crowded, too.

Aug 29, 2005 03:20
  • CALIFORNIA
WOW,Elcabron,your pics were so nice!Yes,you are right,I agree with you,so I only have been to Badaling one time,but I have been to Simatai three times:-)I have different feeling every time!
Btw,Jinshancheng\Mutianyu\Jiankou Great Wall,they are all amazing!All of them were better than Badaling,100 times......
Usually,I go to Mutianyu in fall,in this year,I think I will go to Simatai in winter,when it snowed!!!like Gaz07......
Aug 29, 2005 08:52
  • DEEJ417
Just to clarify, when I said "will we survive" this was coming from 2 guys from Florida where the coldest temps in winter is a high of 55f. I was mainly curious if the temp would make it less enjoyable. Personally, I would prefer if there was snow on the ground.
Aug 29, 2005 09:29
  • CALIFORNIA
sorry for my poor english:-(
Aug 29, 2005 11:49
  • GAZ07
It didn't snow when i was there, i only saw my friends pictures and they were amazing.

It's great to be able to picture the whole wall with few, or no tourists!
Aug 29, 2005 12:11
  • MISHEN
I hear so much about people going to Beijing to see the Great Wall, but as California pointed out, there are lots of other places to see it - remember it stretches across a great deal of the length of North China!

A few hours on the train from Beijing East is Shanghaiguan, where the wall hits the sea - and a few hours West is Zhangjiakou, at the former Mongolian pass. These are just the places near Beijing. There's some Great Wall of debatable authenticity in Dandong, there's stretches through Shandong, Ningxia, Gansu... there's even the recently discovered Southern Great Wall in Hunan. Most of these sites have few or no tourists, because the 'package' guys go for Badaling and the 'Road Less Travelled' guys like yourself, Deej, head for Simatai. I'm not saying this isn't a good thing - I admire anyone who chooses to come to China - but I would like to hear more from people who've seen the Wall outside Beijing. Any stories or recommendations?

Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Simatai Great Wall
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code