Menu
Travel from Macau to Guangzhou
Apr 8, 2008 06:57
  • JABAROOTOO
Best to get a visa before you leave Thailand

Border crossing can take anything from 15mins to more than 90 mins. This was my experience last weekend. We arrived at Gongbei terminal beneath the Immigration Building and after making some inquiries about the return bus trip found ourselves entering Immigration about 10.00am BIG MISTAKE We waited in one of the relatively fast moving queues in a packed hall on the Mainland side and again on the Macau side. All up we took more than an hour and a half to clear them both. It was after 11.30 by the time we got through.

Collect an English map from the information desk on the right as you leave the building.
Construction work on the Macau side is now complete with a new bus terminus underground. Once outside , take any of the elevators downstairs.
Money changing kiosks are located across the street a short walk away. Hotel shuttle buses are to the right in the above ground parking lot but you'll have to cross a street to get there.

Coming back into China we hit the border at 2.00pm At that time in the afternoon the flow was quick and smooth and we were through in less than 20 mins.

Buses returning to Guangzhou leave regularly from the terminus beneath the plaza but be sure you know where you want to arrive in Guangzhou. The Tianhe bus drops off at a University (not where we had originated)

We had left from the bus Jinhan station in Tianhe near the Sports Stadium (Y60) and although it dropped us at the underground station, the return buses actually depart form the Gongbei station just across the street. 2 hours duration although the return took a little longer and cost Y75

There is another station to the right as you exit from the Immigration Building where buses also leave regularly for Guangzhou This is also where the Airport Bus leaves from (about 30/50 mins) not as often and takes three hours.

So it is important to allow minimum of two hours for the border crossing or time it for midday and early afternoon.
Also allow another four to five hours bus travel time between airports. It is better to sit and wait a little for your flight than to be stressing out about missing it or worse still, miss it.

My flight was 9.25pm and we left from Coloane which took an hour by bus to get to the border. We then had time in Zhuhai to have a look around before catching a bus at 4.30pm. It left late and took longer than the expected two hours. I was able to catch a 7.00pm Airport shuttle from Tianhe arriving at 7.40 with a comfort margin of more than an hour.

There is another bus station in Zhuhai with direct buses to the airport so it can be a little confusing.

It's a good idea to keep your outbound bus ticket and then you can use this to show at the ticket counters and ask if this is where you will be returned to.
Apr 9, 2008 11:03
  • BETWEENUS21
and it best to avoid crossing on weekends and on public holidays if possible or be prepared for a long queue and long wait.
May 25, 2008 22:56
GUEST16147 Hi
I am traveling to Macau on the 19th June and would like to go to Beijing. What is the best options - air, rail or bus?

If so how much and how do we go about orgnising it?

I was thinking of catching a coach to Ghangzhou then fly from there to Beijing. This may be cheaper I think - what are your thoughts.

Thanks
May 26, 2008 05:09
  • ELLYSE
There's no train station in Macau so direct train wouldn't be possible. You'll have to take a bus to Guangzhou and continue by train from there.
I wouldn't dream of taking a bus for this route, too long and uncomfortable.
Plane is certainly possible. For cheaper, take a bus to Zhuhai or Guangzhou then fly from there.
May 27, 2008 10:01
  • JABAROOTOO
Best option for flying is to take the bus directly to Guangzhou Baiyun Airport from Zhuhai. Leaves from stations outside the Zhuhai Border Gate to the right.

Cheaper to fly from Guangzhou to Beijing

And same for train take the bus from Zhuhai to Guangzhou train station.
Jun 18, 2008 21:44
GUESTGLO
i'll be going to macao from china. i'll take the bus from guanzhou to zhuhai then from there to the macao airport.

i've read all the instructions but just wondering if some or most of the people in zhuhai and macao could speak or understand English.. you see, if ever i will be confused with the instructions i surely would need to do a lot of asking from the people there.

sorry for my ignorance but it's my first time to go through this route. thanks for any info.
Jun 19, 2008 00:48
GUESTHON Hi i m a malaysian & wanna go to Guangzhou from Hong Kong then back from Guangzhou to Macau. Pls let me know whether wat kind of transport should i take which is easier & save time.
Jul 13, 2008 19:32
  • ELLYSE
At least some of the younger people in Zhuhai and Macau should understand some English.
Hong Kong -- Guangzhou by train, Guangzhou -- Macau by bus.
Jul 18, 2008 01:15
GUEST22858 hi is there any good and cheap hotel around guangzhou shopping place? thanks a lot!

bng,philippines
Jul 18, 2008 04:17
  • ELLYSE
Simple, general answer: Yes.
Page 3 of 8    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Travel from Macau to Guangzhou
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code