Menu
Disease, money or morality?
Sep 8, 2005 02:09
  • PEA28COCK
There are two interesting sayings in China:
1. You'd better have everything except disease; while you may have nothing except money.
2. You'd better have everything except disease; while you may have nothing except morality.
In this extremely material-oriented world, so many people have lost their faith and right direction. They cannot distinguish which is more important, money or morality.
Sep 8, 2005 02:19
  • RITA
There is also an old saying like this: Only when people do not have to worry about basic necessities of life, they could possibly think about honour or disgrace. What do you think?
Sep 8, 2005 03:04
  • PEA28COCK
Yes, you are right, rita, to some extent. But there are still a lot of people who very value their honor and grace even in poverty-striken situation, right? They never sell out their soul and faith for money or other kind of material temptation even though they suffer a lot.
Sep 8, 2005 03:21
PEA28COCK,

You are so right in saying that most people of the world today are more concerned about money and material gain (FAME, SUCCESS, by any means possible), to the point that they would sell their very souls. They are no longer concerned about obtaining and keeping their faith, or in being moral and ethical individuals.

Praisehimanyhow...
Sep 8, 2005 03:48
  • PEA28COCK
Yes, praisehimanyhow, you are my confederate. I totally agree with you. If I am ever given a chance to meet you, I will shake your hand warmly. I am serious. By the way I love your name.
Sep 8, 2005 04:18
  • RITA
I hope if only a father of 2 or 3 kids and never know what is internet could come and say something, though what will never happen.

Fortunately, I worked as volunteer in a poverty-stricken village in Gansu for about 2 months, so I had opportunity to see the darkest side of the country (forgive me for said so). Most people in the village could not spell their names if they had any. The farmlands were almost none compared with the population. In summer, some of them just went far outside to collect potherbs or anything edible. In wintertime, if they had teenage boys, they would send boys out to beg, if they didn't, the men at home did that. I guess, 90% of them had never even think about sending their kids to school, while the tuition fee for a primary student was about only 60 yuan for the whole year. If only they understand what you asked about. People have never experienced constant poverty and hunger and without hopes of any improvements in the future will never be qualified to tell which are more important among those you concerned.

I am not qualified, either, but I, at least experienced something I had never imagined. I hated myself for not being able to stay longer there, but I could not drink the water there, I could not eat the food there. I was sorry.

I didn't see many virtuous and well educated people there, do you know why??
Sep 8, 2005 04:22
  • KETCHUP
To Rita,

I know why: because they are talking about moralities elsewhere. :D
Sep 8, 2005 04:32
  • ELCABRON
About morality and money:

Money makes morality quite flexible in China.
Recently I was told in China that for example you can just buy a drivers license. You take an envelope of 300Yuan with you, so in case you fail the examination you just hand over the money to your teacher and everything is fine;-)

Another friend was asked by her university teacher if she could do the englishexam for a job qualification for someone else - in exchange for money of course. This kind of exam cheating is said to be quite popular;-)

The same with college entering tests......
Sep 8, 2005 04:33
  • RITA
Shame...
Sep 8, 2005 04:37
  • RITA
Morality is not flexible, I think. :)
Sep 8, 2005 04:42
  • ELCABRON
No, I dont want to judge it like that. Can happen everywhere....
Here it has a tradition, also called GUANXI(the right connection) or HOUMEN (backdoor).....
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Disease, money or morality?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code