Menu
Toilet Facilities In China
Nov 17, 2005 21:40
  • PINETREE
My 1st travel to China was in 1988. Since then I have been travelling there regularly esp during the last 5 yrs.
One of the horrible things that I encountered in China was their toilet facilities. I used to travel to the outskirts/smaller towns on business. Visiting toilets there was an experience that I can never forget. What I learnt to cope in case of emergency is as follows :-
(a) Unzip and be ready
(b) Take in a long/deep breathe
(c) Dash into the toilet
(d) Hold your breath and head high - don't look down.
(e) Used force to shoot out quickly
(f) Dash out and gasp in another lot of fresh air
(g) All within 30 -40 seconds.

Things have improved very much over these 15 yrs or so. In fact at some top tourist attractions like JZG, the facilities are now very modern and clean.
Any other experiences you have on this matter ??

(e)
Nov 17, 2005 21:59
  • CONNY129
look at Ethniceast's photo album ,you'll find the answer .

But , I have to admit that although things have improved a lot , we still have much to do about it . In Xi'an , construct 200 public toilets had became one of the top 10 urgent things government had to do during 2005 .
Nov 18, 2005 01:53
  • ELCABRON
I never had any problems with toilet facilities.

Take a look at this picture of January 2005 in Downtown Chongqing - a top 10 city in China:

Nov 18, 2005 01:57
  • ELCABRON
Or Beijing:

(this is the result when many people use public toilets...no harm to any image, no need to feel ashamed)

Nov 18, 2005 06:19
  • GIREESH
Goodness mine !! Was that the pic of a public toilet or that of a place in hell ??? Kudos to those who 'successfully' used those toilets. After seeing the pic, i feel that even the steps suggested on how to use chinese toilets will be of no use !
Nov 18, 2005 10:18
  • NEWBIRD
village toliet

Nov 18, 2005 10:20
  • NEWBIRD
public toliet at yichang. quite clean eh?

Nov 19, 2005 18:02
  • GAZ07
The public faciliteis were fine in the big cities in China, but when i was in the countryside around the South East.... oh man they were bad!
Nov 19, 2005 21:10
  • SNOWBIRD
These toilets are meant for the locals. You tourists just happened to be there. But remember, when in Rome do as the Romans.

Anyway, these toilets will be a thing of the past soon. China is a member of the World Toilet Organisation. China attended the World Toilet Summit held recently in Belfast, Ireland from 26 to 29 September 2005.

You can read all about it in : http://www.happen.co.uk/wts/links.htm
Nov 21, 2005 02:47
  • SAYHITOANT
I visited Shanghai, Hangzhou, Suzhou, Najing in 2002, Fuzhou, wuyisan, xiamen, in 2004 and Sichuan, Jiuzhaigou this year. I would say more than 85% of the toilets are pretty clean. 15% or so are in bad condition like the pictures shown above. Usually these toilets are found in places where our tour buses would need to stop for coffee break, top up petrol, bus cleaning, etc.

Many of my friends in Singapore still have the impression that majority of the toilets in China are very dirty, no door, etc. This is one of the main reasons why many youngsters in Singapore are reluctant to visit China despite the fact that it is one of the most beautiful countries in the world.
Nov 21, 2005 02:58
  • GIREESHAKS
Hello,
I was in GZ and I never used such a toilets. Even I just can't believe that toilets are like this in China.
Don't misunderstand me, I was saw only good toilets in GZ, that is why I said like.

Thanks & regards
Gireesha.KS
GZ, China
(Now from Bangalore, India)
Page 1 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Toilet Facilities In China
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code