Menu
Salary expectation
Feb 8, 2006 20:36
  • PINETREE

"When u pay peanuts, u get monkeys" is a Western saying. No, it is not derogatory - it is western blunt way of saying that when u pay little, u don't get guality workers (monkeys are actually smart when compared to other animals).
Nothing to do with the type of jobs, Hysu. No jobs are low.
Feb 8, 2006 20:39
  • PINETREE
Infact, if u read Snowbird's comments more closely, he meant well - that they don't pay you a good salary if you are not that good. And he said that the salary range offered to you was good.
Feb 8, 2006 22:21
  • SNOWBIRD
To : Pinetree

Thanks for the explanation, Pinetree. I think this phrase is not known in China. Maybe it will become popular now. LOL

And to MAY001 :

A good worker don't come cheap. A cheap worker is no good. That is the general meaning of the phrase.

I had praise HYSU for being a good worker and getting such a good salary.

And I will not be offended by what you say because you are ignorant of this phrase. Period.
Feb 10, 2006 21:36
  • HYSU

Thanks Pinetree.

The job is : Engineer Quality

Company: US multinational into electrical and electronics.

Should I consider anything else while negotiating with the company.
Feb 10, 2006 22:29
  • PINETREE

MNC normally pays well - esp to their expat. Why not you find out from your company what is your entire remuneration package :- what are provided for - eg :
(a) Housing accomdoation
(b) Car/transport
(c) Medical
(d) Insurance
(e) Other allowances/coverage - most should provide a dislocation allowance for pulling u out of your home country ; some also provide "hardship" allowance ( tho China is no more a hardship posting - it's heaven ! ); etc.

Some of the expat members here should also be able to throw some advices to you on what to look out for so that you won't lose out by leaving your country.
The local members can also advise you on what price for accomodation u need to pay - in case your package doesn't include housing.
Whatever it is, the opportunity to work outside your own country is a very enriching experience that u probably will endear for years to come.
Feb 11, 2006 08:21
  • MISHEN
Sounds like a great offer to me. Both Tianjin and Xiamen are great towns. You'll be living extremely well - more than likely better than at home.

That monkey phrase is actually very insightful - a reminder to employers that if they want to hire good people, they have to pay good money. Definitely something bosses should learn here, where the tradition is to see workers as eminently replaceable - meaning pay is very low.
Feb 11, 2006 09:49
  • SNOWBIRD
Thanks Mishen for speaking up for me. Thanks indeed. I hope MAY001 read about it and say some nice words for me.

Chinese employers benefitted by paying low salary. In this way they get more staff, lower cost and better efficiency. They may be exploiting the workers in this respect. In turn, the workers don't live so well thus reducing inflation. It works for China but probably it will not work for other countries.

MNCs works differently. Expats expect a certain salary range in line with their home pay plus perks of being an expat. I believe housing allowance is a "must-have" in China. My friend asked for a big house which he in turn rent out 2 rooms for additional income. Not a bad idea. HYSU can certainly think about it.

Feb 12, 2006 19:50
  • RITA
I lived in Tianjin and Xiamen for quite some time respetively, if I could choose between these two cities to live and work, I definitely choose Xiamen.
Feb 12, 2006 20:29
  • MAY001
Thanks, mishen, you make me clearly understand the phrase.
Sorry to SNOWBIRD, I apology for my misunderstanding.

To HYSU, I think Xiamen is better. It's a seaside city, so the environment can be better.
Jan 24, 2008 04:08
GUEST04110 Hi Everyone.

Can any one advice me on what is the income tax rate in China? I have been offered a position of Senior Manager with a telecom company in Shenzhen. They have offered 45000 CNY per month. Would that be enough to live comfortably with my family (2 kids)? Would I be able to save anything?

Thanks.
Page 2 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Salary expectation
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code