Menu
Children's Village in Xi'an
Mar 8, 2006 03:29
  • RITA
Thank you, May!!

I'll get in touch with them for details, I really need that:-) Do you happen to know their contact info?
Mar 8, 2006 21:56
  • MAY001
Hi Rita,
I found this to you: http://www.xawb.com/gb/news/2005-01/05/content_441485.htm
It's in Chinese and I'm sure u can read it! haha
Mar 8, 2006 23:22
  • MERMAID
Yes. Good idea, vocca.

We may spare icecream at Haagen Daz once in a while and buy some books for the kids in need.
Mar 8, 2006 23:34
  • RITA
QUOTE:
Author: MAY001 | Xi'an | 2006-03-08 21:56:00 GMT-6 Reply Back

Hi Rita,
I found this to you: http://www.xawb.com/gb/news/2005-01/05/content_441485.htm
It's in Chinese and I'm sure u can read it! haha
-----------------------------------
Thank you so much, May, I opened it and yeah, I can read Chinese with the help of a dictionary:-), but the hotline was for the tsunami in southeast Asia.
Mar 9, 2006 00:53
  • ROGERINCA
Mermaid, your thoughts are very good here !!

I have been involved in similar efforts in my local community for over 30 years now, and have adopted and raised, since infancy, three 'special-needs children', in addition to my natural child. Now, I am especially interested in the children of China.

I think all who are frequent visitors to China, should engage is some sort of assistance or volunteerism, such as this. I am also working through a local civic Service Club, in my community to seek assistance to develop a program directed at China. I am in line, however, as there is so much need in the world and so many requests in queue.

I am in the process of facilitating this type of work, on my own,in the Guangzhou/Huadu region, where I most frequently travel to, and have family and friends. There are hospitals and orphanages and schools, all with (hands-on) needs to be filled in one way or another. On my last trip, I spent time at a hospital and a local school, reading to young children from English language children’s books. They were all so eager to practice their English skills and try them out on a westerner.

I do not drink, and am not a [party-on] kind of guy, so these expenses come from other aspects of my family budget, not "one less beer". Truth be known, I am just a boring, go to work each day, single dad, family kind'a guy, who just happens to also love China !! With three active, younger children still under my roof, and loyalty for only one woman in my life, I will have to leave the partying for others with more flexible schedules and less demands, to enjoy !! :) :)

PS: Don't worry California, you will still get your Kings shirt !!! :) :)
Mar 9, 2006 02:07
  • CALIFORNIA
Haha,Roger,

Maybe I should mention you,don't forget my gift!!!Just joking!I don't worry about this!!!

Mar 9, 2006 02:15
  • MAY001
Quote:
Author: RITA | Xi'an | 2006-03-08 23:34:41 GMT-6
Thank you so much, May, I opened it and yeah, I can read Chinese with the help of a dictionary:-), but the hotline was for the tsunami in southeast Asia.

Rita, don't try to confuse me, I know u are a Chinese, a beautiful girl~lol
And for the hotline. Yes, but I think u can call for details or write to them according to the address.
Mar 9, 2006 09:34
  • SABERXLCR
This is a very good post!

I would like to donate when I am there- what is best to give that they really need? Books, food, money, clothes, etc?

Also, are there still many orphanages throughout China?
Mar 9, 2006 18:18
  • MERMAID
To, SABERXLCR:

Personally I think food that the children can eat at the moment is the best. Clothes are donated by the whole city of Xi'an. Used books may be welcome.

Stationeries are ok, I think.
Mar 9, 2006 18:21
  • SABERXLCR
MERMAID: What would be best as far as books go for the children?

Perhaps other Westerners like myself would consider bringing some to China or have an idea of what to buy for them when visiting.
Page 2 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Children's Village in Xi'an
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code