Menu
travel in Xi' an
Aug 25, 2004 10:42
  • DAISY
colourful golden fish!!

Aug 26, 2004 00:24
  • VICKIEJANE
daisy, i can hardly believe I am going to china.
Dumplings, here I come.

thanks

vickie
Aug 26, 2004 03:41
  • RMAYEKAR
Hey! I have not been to Xi'an since 2002 but I remember that it was one of my favorite places to visit in China. I did the trip on my own... just used a guide book as backup. We stayed at Melody Hotel and it was really convenient and cheap (plus western toilets). It was very close to the city center and the Muslim district and just about everything else. I guess just take a taxi everywhere else you want to go since it's relatively cheap.

Have fun and stay safe!!
Aug 26, 2004 09:04
  • DAISY
Hi, Vickie!
In fact, there are many other delicacies in Xi'an. I can't count them one by one in this forum.
If you really want to taste the delicious local food in Xi'an, please have a look at the travel tips I posted about the dining in Xi'an.

http://community.travelchinaguide.com/d_tip.asp?d=93&i=5,1

Hope they can work up a great appetite for you ^_^
Aug 26, 2004 09:22
  • DAISY
Hi, Rita!
Nice to meet you!
You are so brave! If I will come to one totally strange place that I have never been to, I would ask friends to be with me, or book a travel from traevl agency. But you just took one guide book, and found a ideal hotle (from both the facility and its price) on your own.

Can you share with us your wonderful experience?
I am so anxious and curious~~ ^_^
Aug 28, 2004 14:12
  • MACMA
travel in Xi'an can be done in several ways:

This was our way;

To visited sites in the city it self we used the motortaxi's cheap and fast and driving through small lanes and lovely streets. Every where in Xi'an there are motortaxi's even with disabled people who drive (we had a guy who only had 1 leg)

To visit the sites in the city centre go by foot.........an instead of the usual (city wall, belltower, drum tower) go early in the morning to the moslim quarter and visit the mosque and walk around in the neighboorhood .........lovely

be aware of the fact that if you want to visit the terracota warriors.......it is not near Xian it is a nice trip that you can do in a expensive way (taxi) a cheap way (travel agent) or a cheapway and nice way....( go to the bus station which is situated near the station)..but be aware there are tons of vans who go to the terracote warriors but there is only one official bus (all the fake busses use the same number but on carbord plates for example)..take the right bus........an go early because nearby the terracota warriors is also a small mountain where some king or queen is burried (sorry for my bad english)....and another tip is when you go to china forget about the western food (of course it is very nice to visit the pizzahut or the mac) but you only experience china to eat what the are eating............i know that everybody is affraid of getting sick but here is our experience.........before we went to china the only thing i worried about was the fact that i had to eat rice for the period of 6 weeks and was verry afraid of getting sick..........but the first day we arrived in Beijing we went for dinner in our western oriented hotel.........and the food was good but after dinner we walked in the city of beijing and saw several streetrestaurants (even bikes with an kitchen on it) and we made an arrengement...the next day we would eat on the streat and when we got sick we would never eat chinese again but if we didn't get sick we would try it again...to make a very long story very short .........be sure it is cooked or boiled and than you can eat every thing and do not think what kind of meat it could be.....i never had such nice food in my live during the 6 week periode in china...and als visit the small restaurants and to be sure go there were a lot of chinese people are sitting ......and if there is not an english menu .....look around and point to the food other people are eating and choise your own food..

regards,

Martin
Aug 30, 2004 11:02
  • DAISY
Hi, Martin!
Good and interesting experience!
Why not put it as a travel review?
You must have many other helpful and wonderful experinece, do you?

I am expecting to read :D
Sep 1, 2004 11:38
  • DAISY
Xi'an is the cradle of ancient Chinese civilization dating back to 4000 BC. It was the capital city for eleven dynasties, up to the 9th century and it is from here that caravans started on the Silk Road to Europe, changing the Western world forever.The dramatic life-size warrior figures of the 6,000 strong terracotta army, known as the eighth wonder of the world, were built to protect the first Qin emperor in the afterlife. Moving around this old city gives an eerie feeling, like traveling back through thousands of years in time. The local government is trying to preserve the layout and size of its prototype from the Ming Dynasty dating back over 600 years ago.
Xian is the capital city of Shaanxi Province and was Changan for a long time. It used to be the capital of 11 dynasties. The well known Silk Road starts from Xian and stretches westward. In the Han and Tang Dynasties, Changan was in its heyday with magnificent and splendid palaces and strict city arrangement.Because of staying in Xi'an many years,I have visited almost all the travel spots of Xi'an,Imperial Tomb of Qin Shi Huang,Shanxi Provincial (History) Museum,Qian Mausoleum……In addition,the feature foods of Xi'an also attract many visitors.
Tourist zones of city Xi’an(recommendable):
The Bell Tower and Drum Tower:
Shanxi Provincial (History) Museum:
600-year-old Ming Dynasty City Wall:
The Great Wild Goose (Dayan) Pagoda and Cien Temple:
The Forest of Steles:

Huashan Mountain:
Museum of Qin Terra Cotta Warriors and Horses:
Hua Qing Hot Springs:
Taibaishan Mountain(National Forest Park):

PS:When you travel in China,and you do not know how to communicate with local people fluently. Gesture(e.g., forefinger and thumb outstretched means "eight") and drawing will be helpful when communicating with Chinese.Do learn to count to 10 in Chinese.

And would you like to tell me any other helpful travel tips for foreigners when travelling in China?

Sep 6, 2004 02:17
  • MACMA
learn to great and to say good by it is always an opening for locals to make contact.

We also had an large map of china with us and people liked it to show where they live and are very interested in the chinese city's and towns we visited.

We als took a picture book of our country with us (in our case the netherlands).......but the chines prefered to talk so take a lot of paper with you and a pen (we drawned our familie (1 father, 1 mother, 2 sisters etc...).

when you are in a very remoted area its usefull to take some baloons with you and give them to kids when they approach you, or when childeren are afraid of you.

Another tip is to take coins from your own currency with you many grown up kids like them to change them against old chinese coins...........

pictures of you own home are often confusing for the chinese.....so leave them at home.

a perfect time-taker is to ask a chinese to learn you several chinese words.........

Regards,

Martin

Sep 6, 2004 09:44
  • DAISY
Hi, Martin!
Thanks for sharing your great tips about your visit of Xi'an:D
Your real and true feeling adn experience makes your tips and stories vivid, interesting, and helpful.
You are really thoughtful ^_^
Page 2 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: travel in Xi' an
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code