Menu
Ching Ming Festival Offerings - For The Live or For The Gone!?
Apr 5, 2006 00:51
  • RITA
On the way back home yesterday evening, I saw lots of people burning papers for their passed-away families, some in the design of cash, some in the shape of everything that their beloved ones might possibly use afterworld - washing machines, refrigerators, TV sets, etc...

Apr 5, 2006 01:35
  • PINETREE
It is the same here, Rita. It looks so silly, isn't it ? But that's the way people are & these are reflections of the living.
The dead may actually be so happy where they are and could be exclaiming "If only I knew it earlier" !!
Apr 5, 2006 01:53
  • RITA
I heard some even burn pictures of beautiful stars :-). Yeah, that sounds a little silly:)
Apr 5, 2006 03:47
  • CALIFORNIA
Actually,I don't like today!The weather was cool,even rainy!

Maybe their tears......
Apr 6, 2006 20:13
  • INMEDIC
I think going to the grave to honor your relatives should be a sacred tradition. Every culture goes to a grave of a loved one to remember them and honor them. Some leave flowers, wreaths, letters. Whatever makes them happy no one should make fun of.
Apr 6, 2006 20:49
  • MAY001
Yes,INMEDIC, u are right. But I really don't know buring papers for the passed-aways is good or not. It's a tradition for Chinese but it's really harm to the environment.
Apr 6, 2006 22:12
  • CALIFORNIA
Hi,may,maybe you are right!

I don't like this way to pray for them.
Apr 6, 2006 22:13
  • PINETREE
When raised as a environmental issue, it is bad.
When raised as humanitarian issue - it is ok.
Depends on how u see things - it is always like that.
No right or wrong - they say. Just raising the issues at the most opportune moment to suit you.
Apr 6, 2006 22:45
  • ROGERINCA
Celebration of Tomb Sweeping Day--(Qing Ming Jie)

This is one Chinese cultural tradition I was aware of and understand/respect; moreover, I too, believe that in every society, we each have our ways and traditions to honor and remember our departed loved ones. I understand this and I am very respectful of any such tradition. And as far as the environment goes, I think for only a portion of one day each year, this has minimal impact, when comparing how much automobiles and industry can impact the environment in a single day.

Celebrated two weeks after the vernal equinox, Tomb Sweeping Day is one of the few traditional Chinese holidays that follows the solar calendar-- typically falling on April 4, 5, or 6. Its Chinese name "Qing Ming" literally means "Clear Brightness," hinting at its importance as a celebration of Spring.

With the passing of time, this celebration of life became a day to the honor past ancestors. Following folk religion, the Chinese believed that the spirits of deceased ancestors looked after the family. Sacrifices of food and spirit money could keep them happy.

Today, Chinese visit their family graves to tend to any underbrush that has grown. Weeds are pulled, and dirt [swept] away, and the family will set out offerings of food and spirit money.

Also, Chinese regularly provide food as offerings to their ancestors at Altar Tables in their [homes]. Sometimes, a family will put burning incense with the offering.

My feeling is, if this tradition is important to you and has meaning, then you should follow your heart. If not, then it doesn't matter.......

Apr 6, 2006 23:45
  • PINETREE
Well said & well done, Roger.
Apr 7, 2006 00:58
  • SAYHITOANT
Yes, well said by Roger.

Qing Ming Festival has become another family gathering for us after Lunar New Year. My father passed away almost 17 years ago. Since then, every year during this period, my whole family (20 of us) would visit my father’s tomb. We would spring clean the grave by removing any wild grasses and dirts around the gravesite. We would bring along food and flowers and my mother would personally make “Teochew Png Kueh” – my father’s favourite Teochew Snack (ie. Rice flour cake with steamed glutinous rice filling - see picture below). We do burn paper moneys (in denominations of billions & trillions) hoping that my father would receive them in the afterworld. We didn’t burn paper washing machines, LCD TVs and pictures of beautiful stars though! Anyway, I am a free thinker and I don’t really believe it this sort of thing but if that makes my mother happy, we would do it for her. I have many nieces and nephews and my sisters would also take this opportunity to share with them how great our father was.

To us, Qing Ming is a important Chinese festival because, amongst other things, it reinforces the ethic of filial piety.

Page 1 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Ching Ming Festival Offerings - For The Live or For The Gone!?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code