Menu
What is the meaning of this in the Chinese Culture ??
Apr 6, 2006 08:05
  • INCHINA
Yes, it is Chinese saint valentine's day! More information is on:

http://www.indobase.com/holidays/valentines-day/valentine-day-facts/chinese-valentine-day.html
Apr 6, 2006 20:19
  • INMEDIC
Yea, I think it is beautiful but sad story that they are only allowed to be together only that one day a year.
Apr 6, 2006 20:35
  • MAY001
I don't like this story, too. It's so sad that they can only meet once a year.
Apr 6, 2006 20:42
  • RITA
There are a few editions of the story, all approximate to Conny's version. Well, I can't say I like this story, either.

Love should make people feel good and happy, nothing but happy...

If there is TOO MUCH pain or suffering or waiting involved in love, ---they can't do anything but waiting for that one single day out of 365 days---, it's not so romantic at least to me, it's tragic.
Apr 6, 2006 22:14
  • CALIFORNIA
Usually,I try to find the two stars when I lay down on the grassland!

Yes,only once a year was too bad!
Apr 6, 2006 22:54
  • ROGERINCA
Thank you all for your comments and input into this thread !!

And Conny, please know that your explanation was very well done and your translation into English was excellent and very easily understood by me !!

More to follow........
Apr 9, 2006 22:25
  • ROGERINCA
It is really too bad that the story does not match the very romantic feeling of the art work, which is supposed to represent the folklore.

Just like the discussion in another thread regarding romantic movies; I personally like romantic stories which have a happy and romantic conclusion or ending, not those with sad and tragic conclusions !!

Apr 26, 2006 11:05
  • PRIDE
Most people tend to create this fairytale image in their minds about who their ideal mate is.I was hoping for a fairytale-ish story, but the romance went stale right away.I live in the LA area in California and I\'m also interested in connecting with other Black/Asian couples as I want to talk to them.
May 10, 2006 17:48
  • LOVECHINA2
Roger, Do a web search for Chihai: Chinese Valentines Day.This will tell you the story..It is a very beautiful but sad love story.There are a few variations to the story and makes for interesting reading and learning Chinese culture:)
May 10, 2006 22:09
  • ROGERINCA
Yes, thank you, I did the search !! A complex story, depending on the particular version, but I now understand it.

Also, I now understand the birds in the illustration……a ‘bridge’ of Magpies, which enable the two personages to meet, each year :)
Page 2 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: What is the meaning of this in the Chinese Culture ??
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code