Menu
different attitude to love and marriage
May 26, 2006 03:22
  • PEA28COCK
As for a genuine Chinese, I know that people in China keep a conservative attitude to love and marriage, especially marriage.

While as I have learnt from media, especially movies, Hollywood movies, that western people are really out-minded toward love and marriage. But still some western people consider themselves conservative for sometimes. I don't know why these contrary things coexist.
May 26, 2006 03:38
  • PEA28COCK
For quite sometime Chinese couples won't divorce even though there is no love between each other. The reason is that they have to be responsible for their children. :)
May 26, 2006 03:48
  • CALIFORNIA
So terrible~~~~~~
May 26, 2006 03:56
  • PEA28COCK
Hi California,

What do you mean by saying 'terrible'?

You cannot understand it, right?
May 26, 2006 03:59
  • CALIFORNIA
"For quite sometime Chinese couples won't divorce even though there is no love between each other."

---It is terrible!!!
May 26, 2006 04:00
  • CONNY129
I heard that in western country a certain amount of couples won't divorce because they don't want to make any loss of their property , one person can not pay off all the debts by one own , so they still live together to share the house and any other debts
May 26, 2006 04:03
  • ROGERINCA
It is really too bad that so many opinions and impressions are created and shaped, by what is produced by Hollywood and other related western media/news outlets !!

Without having the day-to-day perspective, and knowledge of what is real, it is difficult to distinguish the fantasy and fiction of the ‘entertaining’ movie, from the factual realities of life.

I can only speak to being an American; but I can tell you that ‘most’ Americans are very family oriented and live fairly conservative lives. Moreover, most American men are not ‘playboys’ !! LOL Most Americans are happily married with family at the center-point of their existence. I understand though, even through [past] observation within this forum, that a few westerners, can set a very bad example and form a very negative opinion in other’s minds.

Most of what you see in the movies is entertainment and not real life. Real life can be boring and mundane. Real life does not sell movie tickets and make profits for the movie studios. Most of us go to the movies to be entertained and escape reality for a couple of hours. The producers of motion pictures and most western news media, focus on what is negative and not on what is so good and/or positive. This, over time, and with repetition, reinforces so many negative and false images and perceptions of those who have no independent knowledge, other than what is continually displayed to him/her on the big screen or the television set. :) :)
May 26, 2006 04:17
  • PEA28COCK
Hi Rogerinca,

Thanks very much for your explanation. I see that to some extent western people and Chinese people share the same value tward marriage.
May 26, 2006 04:26
  • CALIFORNIA
Hi,Roger,

You are an expert in marriage,good!Thanks!
May 26, 2006 09:55
  • INMEDIC
Hey Rogerinca,

I could not have said it any better. Sure there are some American men who want to have every woman they can get but like what Roger said most od us are in deep love with our wives and our families and would not have it any other way.
May 26, 2006 12:01
  • APAULT
I understand that Rogernica defends his society. It is true that in most western countries that outwardly people live a conservative lifestyle. But under the covers is something else... researchers suggest that as many as 1 in 5 children were not fathered by their mother's husband. In reality, most of China is still far more conservative in social/sexual matters than the famously 'conservative' mid west bible belt of the USA.

I am not saying China should be more or less conservative than it is, people will decide for themsleves. However, simplistic denial of reality by fellow westerners does not help understanding.
Page 1 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: different attitude to love and marriage
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code