Menu
Duan Wu Jie (Dumpling Festival) - 31 May 06
May 27, 2006 09:10
  • SAYHITOANT
This year’s Duan Wu Jie (Dumpling Festival) falls on 31 May 06. All Chinese around the world celebrate this festival by wrapping dumplings filled with glutinous rice and other fillings.
I’m looking forward to this festival as I like to eat my mum’s handmade traditional salted rice dumpling. The ingredients that she uses as fillings are chestnut, mushroom, peanut, pork meat & five spices.

Nowadays, there are many varieties of dumplings such as:

Nonya Rice Dumpling
Salted Rice Dumpling with egg yolks
Chilli Shrimps Rice Dumpling
Vegetarian Rice Dumpling
Abalone Rice Dumpling

Recently, I heard from the radio that they now have goose liver dumplings. It is very expensive at S$11.80 per piece (about 60 RMB). I still prefer the traditional rice dumpling - cheap and good to eat!

What are the varieties of dumpling in China?

May 28, 2006 10:40
  • CALIFORNIA
I ate it already,very delicious!
May 28, 2006 19:55
  • PEA28COCK
Hi Sayhitoant,

Why the Duan Wu Jie is called Dumpling Festival? :)
May 28, 2006 20:07
  • CONNY129
in the Dragon Boat Festval,sticky rice dumplings packed in bamboo leaves is a must eat food , I like it very much and ate it already before the festival :P
May 28, 2006 20:10
  • LOVEISVERB
RIP, Mr. Qu Yuan!
May 28, 2006 20:20
  • LOVEISVERB
Qu Yuan is of of my favorite litterateurs, I love the cothurnus style in his work and in himself.

I'm gonna get some wormwood on my way back home today.

May 28, 2006 20:21
  • CALIFORNIA
Dumpling Festival???

So funny~~~~~~
May 28, 2006 21:04
  • LOVEISVERB
I've never heard Duan Wu Jie was called "Dumpling Festival" either, California, it IS sort of funny. This is not a 'dine & wine' day at all.

There is not much commercial opportunities can be digged out, that's the reason this important traditional festival is not so popular as the Christmas and western Valentine's Day. One day, it might fade completely out of Chinese people's memory. It's a pity!

This is important and one of the greatest heritage we should carry on to the next generation.

(Forgive my wordiness, Sayhitoant:))
May 28, 2006 21:16
  • CALIFORNIA
And I don't like Quyuan!!!
May 28, 2006 22:15
  • SAYHITOANT
Loveisverb, Pea28cock, Cali,
I didn’t know that Duan Wu Jie is not commonly known as Dumpling Festival in China. I guess it was introduced by our clever dumpling businessmen. After all, dumpling is the first thing that we think of or relate to (not Qu Yuan, unfortunately) whenever we talk about Duan Wu Jie. For example, last Friday when I wanted to remind my mother that Duan Wu Jie is coming, I didn't say "mum, Duan Wu Jie is coming" but I said this to her “ 妈,你又要做粽子了是吗?” (mum, you are going to make dumpling soon right?).

Anyway, I have also eaten the traditional rice dumpling & vegetarian dumpling yesterday & today (both given by my friends).
May 28, 2006 23:16
  • PINETREE
That's because we are losing our traditional ties and level of Chineseness, Sayhitoant.
Page 1 of 6    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Duan Wu Jie (Dumpling Festival) - 31 May 06
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code