Menu
Duan Wu Jie (Dumpling Festival) - 31 May 06
May 29, 2006 00:32
  • ROGERINCA
Question: My friends in China, make this type of dumpling (see photo) of which I am most familiar with, and which in America, we call the pot sticker, or pan fried dumpling.

Is this a different type of dumpling, from that of which the Festival is about ??

May 29, 2006 00:46
  • PINETREE
Yes, it is totally different.
The name "dumpling" is used very loosely to describe most handy-size foodstuff made from rice or wheat with fillings inside. The Japanese copied the dumplings you showed above and call it gyoza (which is derived from Chinese dialect pronounciation).
The dumpling we are referring to is basically made only on this special occasion and is shaped like a pyramid. Nowadays u can find this pyraqmid-shaped dumpling almost anytime of the year.
The locals may be able to throw some more light & background about this occasion.
May 29, 2006 00:49
  • CALIFORNIA
Pinetree,

You are so excellent!!!
May 29, 2006 01:29
  • ROGERINCA
Thank you for the information and clarification Pinetree !!

I cannot ever go to a Chinese restaurant, without getting an order of the pan fried dumplings (pot stickers) !! If it wasn’t so late now, here in California, I would go to my nearby favorite restaurant and get an order to take-out, now !!! LOL

May 29, 2006 02:10
  • CONNY129
Hi Roger ,sticky rice dumplings packed in bamboo leaves is a must eat food in Dragon Boat Festival :) and the dumpling you mentioned is a must eat food in Spring Festival , though they are all called Dumpling in English ,they are totally different food in Chinese culture :)
May 29, 2006 02:25
  • PEA28COCK
So the Chinese are very much rich. :)
May 29, 2006 02:28
  • MAY001
Found the pic for you.

May 29, 2006 03:07
  • PINETREE
The dumpling you're referring to here should best be eaten dipped in black vinegar, Roger ! U may not be used to this dip. It takes a little cultivation to like it.
And the dumplings come panfriend or steamed. I prefer the steamed version.
May 29, 2006 20:50
  • CALIFORNIA
Hi,Roger,

Yes,the dumplings your mentioned should be eaten with vinegar or soy;

And the dumplings was eaten with sugar:-)
May 30, 2006 00:40
  • SAYHITOANT
I prefer the pan fried dumpling than the steamed version. Yes, it tastes great with vinegar! I have not tried it with sugar though. Wouldn't it tastes funny, Cali?

Anyway, my lunch yesterday was dumplings and this morning I ate dumplings again for breakfast!! Both given by my colleagues. I'm beginnning to have phobia on dumplings even before Duan Wu Jie which is tomorrow!! How?? Maybe I should drink more tea ....
Page 2 of 6    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Duan Wu Jie (Dumpling Festival) - 31 May 06
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code