Menu
Favorite Domestic Travel Destinations Top 10 of Young Chinese
May 29, 2006 08:18
  • SAYHITOANT
I'm an 'old chinese' from a foreign country, so my opinion does not count too. However, I'm not surprised that Xian is not in the top ten. Take myself for example, I've been to Beijing, Shanghai, Xiamen, Fuzhou, Suzhou, Chengdu, Hangzhou, Chengde but Xian is not in my next China destination list. I'm more interested to visit Lijiang, Lhasa, Kunming, Xinjiang or even Guilin. So why?? Maybe because I know very little about Xian. I only know Xian has the famous Terracotta Warriors and Horses. Now I know one more thing ie. intelligent and beautiful women!:-}. Whatelse? I dont know. Maybe, those who live, work or have visited Xian would like to share this information.
May 29, 2006 08:45
  • PINETREE
Beside "intelligent & beautiful" Chinese women working and living in Xian, the city itself has a history longer than that of BJ. It was the old capital of China before BJ & housed more dynasty/emperors than BJ.
The locals told me that if you wanna look at China's last 1000 yrs history, go BJ. If u wanna look at China's history from 1001 t0 3000 yrs ago, go Xian.
However, I understand that most of the historical buildings were destroyed in local uprisings, etc. Thus there are no palaces & royal buildings in Xian - but one can see the remains of the city wall & Yang Yu Huan's bath, etc !
Nonetheless, there are more in Xian than just the Terra-Cotta.
Suppose the locals can tell us more.
I will revisit Xian when the next opportunity arises.
May 29, 2006 20:03
  • MAY001
Yes, pinetree, you are right. Xi'an is more than the famous Terracotta. Long history, beautiful Qinling Range, splendid Big Wild Goose Pagoda Plaza, delicious local snacks and what's more, the warmly people!
May 29, 2006 20:14
  • PEA28COCK
Hi Sayhitoant,

I have noticed that Lhasa is in the destination list of your next trip to China. It is also my dreaming place. If ever possible I will go there to taste its distinctive flavor.
May 29, 2006 20:25
  • CALIFORNIA
Hi,Sayhitoant,
QUOTE:"I'm more interested to visit Lijiang, Lhasa, Kunming, Xinjiang or even Guilin."

I found that your next destination were all about scenery,the nature!Yes,I love nature too!

But Xi'an,as pintree said,the history was so long,if you have no interests of chinese history,I think it was boring in the city.But Xi'an is different,she has amazing and long history.She was as the capital for 13 dynasties,Beijing only for 6!

The splendid time of chinese history was Tang,there were many things happened!

I think,if you want to REAL China,please go to Xi'an.

Good Luck!
May 29, 2006 21:41
  • PINETREE
There are so many places in China that I would love to go to - particularly the fringe areas like dongbei, Mongolia, Qinghai, XinJiang & Tibet. And also Guilin.
Harbin is a must for me - probably end of this year. I must see the ice carvings for myself.
May 30, 2006 00:06
  • SAYHITOANT
Thank you all for enlighten me on why Xian is worth a visit.

California is absolutely right that I prefer nature than history. As a Chinese, it felt a little guilty that I had no interest for china history at all. Fortunately that was before I first visited China in 2002. Since then, my interest in Chinese history grows. I brought 3 books on MaoZheDong, ZhouEnLai, DengXiaoPing during my 2nd trip to China (Fuzhou). I didn’t finish the 3 books though as the content and Chinese language used was quite 深奥 (difficult to understand) by my standard. On my recent trip to China in Beijng, I bought 2 books on the Qing & Ming Dynasties “正说清朝十二帝” & ” 正说明朝十六帝“. I managed to finished reading the first book and is half way through on the second book. I’m currently watching a TV program on Han Dynasty “汉武大帝”. I had watched “康熙煌朝“。”乾隆皇朝” & “三国演义” last year. As you can see, I’m beginning to appreciate Chinese history although I’m learning it backward. So, I guess my trip to Xian would have to wait a little longer as my history knowledge has not reached that standard yet (Pinetree has pointed out “If u wanna look at China's history from 1001 t0 3000 yrs ago, go Xian”).

Having said so much, my priority is still on nature scenery when I plan my travel trips. If it helps to pick up history along the way, that would be a bonus to me :-}
May 30, 2006 03:46
  • CALIFORNIA
To Sayhitoant:

What about:"正说清朝十二帝"? I also have interest in it,becasue I am a manchurian.I hope you can tell me more!

If you go to Xi'an,please read about Qin,Han and Tang,haha,so long~~~~~~
May 30, 2006 17:51
  • INMEDIC
Hangzhou is very nice, especially West Lake. It is great to walk along the shore with the person you love.
May 30, 2006 20:35
  • PEA28COCK
West Lake is a romantic place for lovers. I am looking forward to go there someday with the person I love.
Page 2 of 4    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Favorite Domestic Travel Destinations Top 10 of Young Chinese
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code