Menu
Moving to Shenzhen from US
Jun 7, 2006 20:53
  • MICHELLEBE
My husband is getting transferred to Shenzhen from TN, United States...we asked for this and are quite excited. But we need help! We have three small kids (oldest is 7) and need information on the following:

Looking for a Christian (would Lutheran be asking too much??) church
And a apartment/house near said church
And a good school near said apartment
And any other helpful information you may have for me: health care information, etiquette we need to know about, transportation information... I have never been to China and am simultaneously terrified and ecstatic about our upcoming experience.
Jun 10, 2006 02:59
  • JOHNLIN888
I don't think there is any church
of free preaching except few unlicensed
family churches somewhere hard to find.
Maybe u can set up a church here. I would
like to attend.
welcome to China
Jun 10, 2006 19:30
  • RUNNERMORE
Hello. There're several Christian churches in Shenzhen. This one is located in Meilin, Futian District.
Shenzhen Church: No.126, Meilin Road, Futian District, Tel:86-755-83118817 83118837
A primary school and middle school are near the church.
Welcome~~:)
Jun 11, 2006 07:55
  • FONG
Hi MICHELLEBE

Firstly, welcome to shenzhen, a very beautiful city in china, and I am sure you will enjoy your stay here.

As far as I am concerned, there is one Christian church very close to my apartment. I will be very glad to show you around when you are here. Sure enough, it is very easy to find an apartment near the church and the transportation is very convinient.

ps. I am a native chinese speaker and have been in shenzhen for almost one year after my graduation from shanghai. If you have any difficulties or need any help, do not hesitate to contact me. I will be very glad to help. And this is my email address: gmail.com|fongsong

Jun 12, 2006 07:35
  • JABAROOTOO
Hi Michelle,
Welcome to China in the near future.

Can I suggest that you ask your husbands company for assistance in looking for an appartment or a temporary serviced apartment until you have time to look around. Can I suggest Shekou unless this is too far from where he will be working.

Many International schools in China are operated by Christians groups. Forget denominations - there are not enough of any of them to be bothered with this. Many larger Cities have 'Interantional Fellowships' where only Expat Christians can fellowship for obvious reasons.
We are of course very welcome in the local churches but language may preclude this. Sometimes have to travel long distances.. There is not one on almost every corner as there often is in the west.

THE city's three major international schools, the QSI International School of Shekou (QSI), Shekou International School (SIS) and International School of Sino-Canada (ISSC), have played an important part in the process of building Shenzhen into an international city.

www.qsi.org/shk_home

International School of Sino-Canada, Nanshan, Shenzhen
Add: No. 166, Nanguang Rd., Nanshan Dist.
Tel: (86 755) 2656 8886, (86 755) 2656 8889
Fax: (86 755) 2657 8889
(www.ccsc.com.cn)

Anyway do a'google' search yourself and spend a little time looking at what comes up. If you find an International Christian school then they will be able to tell you about any IF in Shenzhen as these are not always easy to locate. Usually word of mouth unless it is large enough to advertise.

All the best with your move. Shenzhen is very modern and you should have a great time living there and visiting the surrounding areas.

If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask.
Jun 13, 2006 12:35
  • SCHINAJJ
I asked some of my Chinese friends today about Christian churches around town and was told that the services at the Church in Meilin, as well as most of the others, are held in Mandarin only - no English. Does anyone know if this is true?
Jun 17, 2006 15:16
  • MICHELLEBE
Thank you all for your kind encouragement, information, and suggestions.
Can anyone tell me what kind of health care is available to a non-citizen in Shenzhen...is there anything like the "911" service in the States? What about regular check ups, etc. for my children? Again, thank you.
Jun 17, 2006 17:37
  • LOVECHINA2
Police is #110,Fire is #119,Rescue is #120 and Traffic Accident is #122.
Enjoy Shenzhen,go shopping in Dongmen but go during the mid week NOT on weekend:))
Jun 26, 2006 03:06
  • SCHINAJJ
Hi Michelle. I sent you a message, rather than post a reply, a few weeks ago but haven't heard back from you so I thought I'd post a reply in case you didn't see the message.

Anyway, I'm an American female and I currently live in Shenzhen with my 11 year old daughter.
We moved here from Memphis about a year and a half ago. I'd be happy to help with any questions you have about shenzhen in general, or about living here with kids. I don't like posting my phone number and such on a public forum board, but I can send you my email address and/or phone number in an email if you'd like.
Dec 1, 2007 20:45
GUEST76066 Hello, Im David, just arriden in Shenzhen 2 days ago. I will be living here with my wife and one year old son, as I am just starting a new job with a local airline, I am a pilot.
I have some questions, maybe u guys can help me out:
any luck in finding an english speaking christian church?
any good enlgish speaking pediatricians?
those emergency numbers mentioned above.... will somebody there be able to reply in english?
Would you say QSI is the best one? do they teach christianism?
thank you all....... and God bless you.
p.s: Im loving it here so far, living at the Rose Garden and all.
take good care..
Feb 13, 2008 01:10
GUEST48191 I am also looking for a english speaking church and have had no luck. But I know that there is a Gymboree here with english speaking teachers and they are about to open a new center this march. My wife and I work there and recently moved from Indiana. You can find us on the web quite easily. It is an amazing program but it is for children 0-5 years old. Ask for Leevi or Jessica
Page 1 of 4    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Moving to Shenzhen from US
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code