Menu
Do Chinese People Really Believe in God?
Jul 22, 2011 20:27
GUESTALVIN GOd gave us freewill to choose according to christian bible...If a man choose not to believe in god because god gave as freewill then why we punished after death after we choose not to believe in god...
Aug 24, 2011 02:15
GUEST63118 i think some do and others not
Aug 31, 2011 01:42
  • JIMMYLEW
Yes-There is a God.Some of my Chinese university students in Shanghai confess to that and I feel the presence of the maker in them when they speak in class.They have an undeniable Godly demeanor.They dont cheat on their exams like most of the other students do and I just feel good having them in my class.Yes-there is a God.He has always been good to me because of what goes around comes around.I have always been blessed when I was doing good things for others and sometimes not so blessed when I am not but mostly because of my foolish mistakes that I can only blame on myself.Karma is also an example-do good things and goodness almost always come back to you......Shanghai Jimmy.....yahoo.com|jlewellen2003
Sep 5, 2011 07:12
  • JOHNSINA
In my opinion every person believe in God when people are in trouble then firstly they remember the God.
Sep 6, 2011 03:49
  • MICHAEL_BOND
"Love is the only true religion. Chinese people are in fact deeply religious. Agree? "

I am a native Chinese who like reading history and travelling, going to lots of temples. And I went to church very often 5 years ago, so I have some ideas for your question.

In our history, Buddhism, Confucianism and Daoism were once flourish, and now still affect people in their subconscious and philosophy. And Christian has been booming in recent 2 centuries.

But...

From my understanding of theology, my opinion is that much of our piety is not to the truth of GOD, or to pursue ultimate questions of religion like believers in other parts of world do. But it is very concrete to detailed things in China, like money, health or luck. People always pray in temples for "the lord keeps me rich", or "the lord blesses me health". That may be the reason of why GAZ07 said Chinese people are too smart to bother with religion. From the first glance, it is indeed like trading rather than worship.

But we should consider the historic facts that Chinese like concrete living wisdom while western like theory more. That is why modern science died in China, but art and literature lived. From 2000 years ago, government distorted the core philosophy of Confucius from “why” to “what to do in this situation”. Because the question of why makes people hard to control, but what to do can lead to the opposite. And this reflects in religion. Anyway, I think the result is the same, even under these kinds of motivations, a little bit different from your “LOVE of GOD”, people accept disciplines of love and charity in the same way. And this is a little bit different to what I saw in Europe, where I lived for two years. Still, religion, although not welcome by our government, affects our way of living by "promise and punishment" which still guide people to good side. But I am not sure whether this is what you said, as "deeply religious"
Mar 18, 2012 22:44
GUEST96245 im a cat meow
Mar 19, 2012 00:26
  • ANDER001
Quote:

Originally Posted by KEVINWARDCFC View Post

I have read with interest the thread started by Pinetree and the responses to it. Religion is a fascinating subject. In china I visited and prayed in Mosques, Buddhist Temples, Churches. Communism may be anti-religion but it cannot root out the faith of the people. I saw deep faith among the people of china. We need to distinguish between inst...
One family of my neighbors deeply believe the existence of Jesus Christ.And people around me respect their faith in religion.But I heard one thing that a boy and a girl fell in love,the girl's family believe in christian and the boy's family believe in buddhism.The girl's family order the boy to give up his faith if he want to marry with the girl which confused the boy for a long time.And I don't know the result and it won't be a fairy tale.
Apr 29, 2012 23:53
GUEST29172 KEVINWARDCFC,

Your comments struck me as reasonable, until you made the comment that "many Chinese are going to be in for a big surprise when they die" is so ridiculous, that it kind of invalidates your entire argument. Unless you can prove that Communism has somehow stifled out the true sentiments of the people of China I would find your remark more offensive by far than a picture of Jesus Christ smoking a cigarette (Martin Luther King smoked cigarettes, and he was not a bad man, was he?) You might have to face the fact some day that you, are mortal, that you will really die, like most enlightened modern human beings which would seem to include the majority of Chinese. If you are blaming Communism for the lack of interest in embracing a Western Religion developed by the Holy Roman Empire, then look at Taiwan and see if they are really much different. I am not saying I understand everything about the eternal, or even having a full, complete life but I think I would trust the opinion of just about anyone in China, even on the streets of Shang-hai over your chauvenistic outlook. Good heavens, give it a rest.
Sep 3, 2012 21:56
GUESTLOVE God is real
Oct 2, 2012 14:42
GUEST86190 In our Hmong religious, we don't believe in god but know that there is a god up there in heaven looking down at us every moment. When one person died, it equal one tear of drop from god eyes.
Page 6 of 7    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Do Chinese People Really Believe in God?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code