Menu
Q and A with a Chinese student.
Aug 3, 2006 08:35
  • BENJAMIN
Part 1

I interviewed one of my female students. This is a brake down of her response I compiled. I found her to be honest, interesting and very insightful.

Q: What do you think about education and why is it important to you.

A: To get a good husband in China you must be well educated even if you only get married after studying for a long time and not going into employment, it helps with your future prospects - to present good social status is a prerequisite to a good life. A husband will not select a girl who is uneducated this would only lead to loss of face. Even the prettiest country girl would find it difficult to gain a well educated husband. So education is crucial for a girl’s presentation and partner appeal.

Q: So regardless of the expense and the over abundance of qualified graduates looking for positions its more than just a avenue to a good job.

A: Of cause.

Q: Do you find less opportunity in China being a woman? Do you think there is equal opportunity in today’s China?

A: I have two brothers and I think that my life is a lot easer than theirs they have the responsibility to find a good job and income and to be the financial family support. Even though I work very hard at University, I have a lot less stress in my life. There are less and less job openings in China each year and more students looking for employment - the preference are clearly in favor of bright, attractive and well educated females, in urban and city companies. Most men are unable to gain a job as easily as a woman after graduation.

Q: Do you think most women live a happy and fulfilled life in China?

A: Yes, most Chinese women are happy with a simple life, so I think so. But everything has two sides when we get married we take a lot of the husbands family care and maintenance as our burden however this helps ease the pressure on him to some extent. And when we have children some of the pressure of child rearing is taken on board by the extended family.

Q: Is this a good thing?

A: Yes, but this way of living is becoming less common, as people are having to travel further and furtherer from home for work, effecting the traditional Chinese family unit.

Q: Would you prefer to be a man?

A: No!

Q: How does inequality affect you?

A: I’m very lucky I think that my life is better than most Chinese. There is a large gap between the poor and farming communities. Most Chinese look down on people from the country side and young people move to the city to find work and an income to support their family at home. Lots of men are unable to find a partner in China with little money and education, if from the country they stand little hope with out proper education.

Q: What do you think about sexism?

A: Men are sexism.

Aug 3, 2006 08:37
  • BENJAMIN
Part 2

Q: Why are Chinese people so passive when lots live in poverty?

A: I think most Chinese are just happy people and social people.

Q: What do you think about abortion?

A: China has lots of problems with abortion. Girls are starting to have sex before marriage and at school there is no sex education at all. It is left to us to find out about sex for our selves.

Q: How did you find out about sex?

A: I read a book.

Q: When do you plan to marry?

A: I want to get married at about 26.

Q: What do you think about the environment and environmental issues?

A: China has lots of problems with industrial pollutants, water pollution and rubbish.

Q: Where would you prefer to live in the Peoples’ Republic of China or a democratic country?

A: I love China. But I want to go to France.

Q: Why do you want to go to France?

A: Because it’s romantic!

Q: What do you think about foreign investment in China?

A: I think it’s helping the Chinese economy.

Q: What do you think about globalization and how does it affect you?

A: …more westerners are now coming to China.

Q: Is this a good thing?

A: I don’t know.

Q: Are you religious?

A: No, my family is Buddhist but I believe in Aliens.

Q: What hobbies do you have and what do you like to do for fun?

A: I don’t know… I have no time I work very hard, I like reading and playing on the computer and spending time with friends when I have it.

Q: What is beautiful?

A: I have a friend at Uni she is beautiful.

Q: Are boys beautiful?

A: No they are cool.
Aug 3, 2006 20:06
  • CONNY129
She told the truth I think , and her thoughts stands for a certain amount of Chinese girl.
Aug 3, 2006 21:09
  • LOVEISVERB
There is a new expression in Chinese, "post-80s", I am not sure when this expression came into being. The expression represents a generation that were born in 1980s, they are very open to new ideas, desperate and bold, apparently hardworking but not exactly sure what for; they crave for fame and fortune, admire those who become rich overnight, they would not hesitate to pay the price for being 'romantic', they can accetp the idea of enjoy now, pay later.... the traditional ideas on what is beautiful can be redefined the way they like, they love to express themselves the way they like.....

Those above are not wrong or bad, (every generation has it's own characteristics and peculiarities,) and NOT applicable to ALL that were born in 1980s... there are exceptions of course. BUT the 'post 80s' are so very different from those of their upper generations, will be so from their lower generations too, we will see :D. They are also known as "The Ruined Generation" in China, which I myself do not think so.

The above conversation was very interesting and representational, good to see the insights and outlook of a post-80 girl.
Aug 3, 2006 21:10
  • CALIFORNIA
Thanks Ben!!!

Oh,chinese girls:-)
Aug 3, 2006 22:00
  • ALICEGAO
As for the answer of 1st qustion of Part 1 which is related to the importance of education, to be honest, it's such a shameful answer I have ever heard in the world. The reason of getting educated is just for earning a good husband? That's bull shit. Don't most of Chinese woman have their own values without relying on men?
Aug 3, 2006 22:51
  • ECHO01
Definitely, I don't agree with the answer to the first question. Though I am not one of the post-80s generation, I often chat with many girls in this generation.
Many girls want to receive higher education because they want to know more about the world, about the society. They also want to be independent and live a more fruitful life.
Aug 3, 2006 23:36
  • BENJAMIN
ALICEGAO,

Good comment, and thanks everyone for your comments. Its seems to be a case that Chinese girls really love their men (I have first hand experience of this)。 I also get the impression that this is reciprocated - Chinese hold a strong responsibility to further their life and do better for their family and children as both a partner and a contributor to social growth and ethics. A concept that we often pass over in the west, is one of cultural and social ethics. Lest we forget, when this generation of children were born their parents were living in extreme poverty. A strong sense of responsibility to better their life and the life of their families has been ingrained. Chinese girls in some respects work hard because of the love and investment their parents influenced on their lives - this is not a selfish society. However, as it becomes more prosperous and people start to loose themselves in choice, I’m sure the happiness and harmony that currently exist will be lost in a selfish foray of individualism, watched over and fed upon by the brand marketers and media brain washing of a market economy.

In this case, going to university and learning is a privilege of which the out come is done not for ones own personal gain but for the love of those who made it possible for her to be there.
How people think is often a reflection on the pressure placed on their social demographic by those able to influence it - this is neither right or wrong it’s just the way it is…
Aug 4, 2006 01:49
  • APAULT
Hey Benjamin!

You posed the question....Q: Where would you prefer to live in the Peoples’ Republic of China or a democratic country?

Hmmm, which democracies were you thinking of? The Uk where 55% of the population can vote for one party and still not form the government; or maybe the USA where you get your brother to fix it so that working class voters are denied there right to vote and when it looks like the counting of some indistinct votes will jeopardise George Dubba's elction to president, you get your Republican party friends to take it to court to stop the count (Florida Pres G W Bush's first term).

The Chiese system is different and it too has limitations, but objectively, we can describe it as a democracy, people's voices are represented, people can join the Party.

Long live cultural difference and democracy.
Aug 4, 2006 06:02
  • BENJAMIN
I come from Australia a country where you get fined $50 if you do not vote. Is this a democracy I should wonder? Where is my freedom not to vote if I feel there is no one to vote for? In theory China is not a democracy, the people do not directly vote for their president most really don’t care about party politics, its impact on their life is minimal after all they have one party for the people what’s to worry about? In most cases of western politics the true power is in the system under which a party governs. When a party is elected they must work within any given system or waist time trying to change it to fit the needs of their party sponsors. I was more interested in the philosophy of the question.

Of which she was generally more interested in thinking of the image of romantic France to the state of the Chinese political arena.
Aug 4, 2006 08:50
  • PINETREE
How "insightful" is the result of this interview based on ONE gal's view ?
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Q and A with a Chinese student.
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code