Menu
I don't understand
Dec 7, 2006 16:56
  • HITURA
Hi all,
I was reading a review:
https://community.travelchinaguide.com/d_review2.asp?i=563&d=111
I see that they mention hostels rejecting foreigners. Are all hostels like that in China, where they turn away foreigners? Also, I am an Australian Chinese, will I bee seen as a foreigner or a Chinese person in China? :)

Regards,
Steve
Dec 7, 2006 18:58
  • MAY001
Yes, there are hostels or hotels can not accept foreigners according to the laws and regulations. Generally, they are not good enough. But NOT ALL!!If you can speak Chinese, they may consider you as Chinese and no problem will happen.
Dec 8, 2006 01:12
  • HITURA
Thanks. I learn something everyday. ^^
Dec 8, 2006 01:23
  • ALICEGAO
This kind of thing happends in China, but not quite often, so no worries.
It was said that only 3 star hotels are qualified for accepting foreigners. Lots of reasons, you know, laws, security, and maybe they also want you to pay more money to make the better contribution to the tourism there, haha...
Dec 8, 2006 23:23
  • TEKNOMED
I was turned away from a 3 star hotel in Zhengzhu recently althought I had prior booking. Reason I am a not a Chinese national. I am an Oversea Chinese. So make sure the hotel you booked accepts foreign guests.
Dec 9, 2006 05:19
  • SILJA
Your information is out-dated. Now all Chinese hotels which has a government license can accept foreigners. You can come to China freely and find a hotel easily.
Before 1990s', only some good hotels were permitted to open to foreigners, now these regulations had been cancelled.
Welcome to Kunming, I am a lawyer in Kunming, I am willing to introduce China to you. tel:13095338075, E-mail:163.com|kmlawyerchen
Dec 9, 2006 17:27
  • ELLYSE
NOT outdated. I've had recent bookings for foreign travellers at some hotels (eg in Guangzhou and Shanghai) rejected because the hotels aren't allowed to have foreigners staying there.
Dec 9, 2006 20:04
  • APAULT
I cannot comment on the legal situation, but my recent experience in the East and South is that there is little problem being accepted in any of the cheap hotels (I mean Y50 to Y120) provided you have a passport and money. Expect to pay a deposit of up to one night's fee.

In some hotels they made every effort to complete the registration forms in detail, in others just your name and passport number. As these forms are or can be viewed by the authorities it seems to me that there is not too much concern about foreigners staying in the hotels. Even if the laws are still current, they seem to be like many other laws, considered historical and out of place in the modern China.
Dec 11, 2006 05:22
  • JABAROOTOO
There is nothing 'out-dated' about the current information. It is still the same as it has aways been.

Hotels must be registered with the authorities before they may host foreigners, regardless of whether or notyou speak Chinese, however having said that there are many places which will host foreigners if there is little chance of them incurring any difficulty with the local PSB.

Each foreigner is supposed to be registered every night of thier stay in the country but this is sometimes ignored.

I personally have spent a few nights while travelling where the required forms were not tendered, I was not asked to produce my passport or othe and I asked no questions. Just paid my money and enjoyed the digs.

But I have also been refused by several hotels before finding one that is able to take me and I've heard many other similar stories.

It's no big deal - there is plenty of good budget accommodation around. Hostels are certainly there to accommodate foreigners so there should not be any refusal from them.
Jan 7, 2007 21:54
  • CSHANSELLO
My husband and I live in China, and have traveled a lot. We have
found that some cities are harder for foreigners to find a hotel than
others. We ususally aren't turned away, except when we visited
Xinjiang provence. There, almost none of the hotels could take
foreigners. On the other hand, in eastern China, we have been
allowed to stay in places that probably weren't licenced. Nobody
cared. It all depends on how closely the police are watching.
Also, unless you speak fluent Manderin, expect to be treated as a
foreigner.
Dec 20, 2009 13:13
GUEST71525 Your information is wrong. I've been kicked out of many hotels in Kunming based on the color of my skin. Just walk around and ask at hotels.
Post a Reply to: I don't understand
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code