Menu
Two most difficult languages to learn
May 26, 2009 13:20
  • FUHSING
According to UN, Ethiopean language is the mot difficult language in the world because it is totally unrelated to any other language of the world.
May 27, 2009 02:48
  • ICEBERG
I still think Chinese is the most difficult one, which is also unrelated to any other language of the world. Furthermore, few people knows the total number of the Chinese characters.
May 27, 2009 06:58
  • WUQUE214
you do not need to understand all of the Chinese characters, some of them only can be found in the book written thousand years ago. further more ,lots of the characters are contained in the placenames.and meanless.
May 30, 2009 08:12
GUESTBENZHONG Every one said chinese is difficult to learn , may it is true.But in my mind,chinese is esay if you dont't pay you attention in poem and literary works. It is so easy to communicate with other in english.
Aug 21, 2009 10:54
GUESTCHRIS This is a couple of years late but I studied Arabic for about 11 years and finally screamed, "I CAN'T TAKE THIS ANYMORE!!!!" So, I quit. I have had very limited success and I used some Arabic when I went to Israel in May of 2007. However, I felt that the payoff for what I put into it was just not worth the effort it was taking. I intend to spend a few months in Jordan when I retire and learn all I can by total immersion. I told someone that I had studied for a long time and hardly knew the language at all. She said, "Is that because it's so hard to pronounce?" I said, "I didn't say I couldn't pronounce it!" There are a few difficult sounds in Arabic but that has nothing to do with it. Someone else says, "Is that because they write backwards?" "First of all you don't write 'backwards' in Arabic. Arabic is a Semitic language and so is Hebrew, and all Semitic languages are written from right to left. The Greek alphabet, which spawned the Roman alphabet from which we get ours was derived from Hebrew. They originally wrote one line from right to left, the next left to right, and so on. Then they thought, "This is silly, we should make it all one way" which ended up being left to right. So, if anyone is writing backwards it's us because we changed it. And no, it is not difficult at all. So what is difficult about Arabic? The very complicated verb conjugations, the different types of plurals, writing with no short vowels indicated in the script most of the time, the unfamiliar vocabulary, etc. etc.
Sep 30, 2009 21:42
GUESTJIMMY haha, actually, Chinese language(Mandarin) is one of the easiest language to learn, esp. the spoken Mandarin. The Chinese verbs never change their forms no matter when the action takes place. No change of forms of nouns no matter whether it's singular or plural, feminine or masculine.

In a word, each and every Chinese characters stays the same all the time while you are learning Chinese. Nothing like any other languages that you have to memorize all the different forms of words be it a noun, a verb, an adjective, a pronoun or whatever. So once you recognize a character and know the meaning assigned to it, it is there for you to recognize any time any where you come back to it, similar to the learning of traffic signs.

Put it in another way, there is no socalled "grammar" in Chinese language but logical arrangement of the "original" words that carry the thoughts.

Chinese language has been regarded difficult. It is maybe due to misunderstanding, lack of knowledge or its "apperance", or beliefs in stories told by those who have limited knowledge or experience in learning the language, most probably.

However, every language has its uniqueness either in its formation or in its pronunciation, not to mention its cultural background. Chinese language(Mandarin) has some sounds that other languages do not have. This is true to almost all other languages. That's why we have to learn it unless you are living among Chinese people and pick up the language by yourself.

Thanks for your patience reading my remarks whose purpose is to encourage those who are thinking of learning Chinese(Mandarin), seriously.
Oct 12, 2009 19:53
  • LOVELYLILY
Chinese is a language with a complex system, including voice, grammar and written language. Each part has its own characteristics, Voice: the Chinese syllables can be analyzed into consonants, vowels and tones. The head of the sound is a consonant, and the other parts are the vowels, tone is the pitch of the entire syllable. The tone is also seen as an integral part of the syllable, because the tone is identified in Chinese meaning. Grammar: the Chinese language is monosyllabic morpheme mostly (手shǒu), Morpheme and the moneme can be combined into words (马mǎ + 路lù→ 马路mǎlù), Some of morphemes themselves are words (手shǒu ,洗xǐ), Some of morpheme themselves are not words, only with the other morphemes together making up the compound words(民mín→人民rénmín), in Modern Chinese, two-syllable words take the largest proportion of total. Text areas: From the view of the relationship between the Chinese characters and Chinese, the Chinese character is a morpheme word. From the view of Construction of character, it is writing system composed by ideographic, phonetic notation of the radical (shape, phonetic), and marks which neither expresses meaning nor sound, So, Chinese is a little difficult to learn. But as a foreigner, you can choose the professional online school to learn Chinese.
Nov 16, 2009 12:13
  • SZALICEXIE
I do not think so..why do chinese kidds learn chinese so easily ,why do american kidds learn eanlish in their country so easily ,when you understand that ,you will get a way to learn any language easily !!
Jun 7, 2010 23:06
GUEST2GOOD Finnish language is considered to be one of the hardest language in the world.

In mY opinion here are most difficult languages to learn in decending order (1 is hardest).

1- Russian
2- Finnish
3- French
4- German
5- Danish
6- Indian
7- Arabic
Sep 6, 2010 03:59
GUESTALICE well i think that arabic is not difficult to learn itas easy we can learn it in a month easily. no language is tough it depend on us how we learn it . even japnese is not tough. the most easy way to learn any language is that if you want to learn urdu so u can learn it easily if u live in pakistan for at least 2 months. urdu is the fourth language. 1 is english .2 is arabic.3 is chinese.4is urdu . urdu is 4th becaz it has been spoken in many countries lke pakistan . some parts of india. afganistan . in germany . iran . turky
Page 7 of 8    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Two most difficult languages to learn
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code