Menu
Two most difficult languages to learn
Sep 6, 2008 14:11
GUESTTHEEDGER It seems no matter what the topic everyone wants to give their veiwpoint of how they would do it, and this is the perfect place for those ideas.

I love reading what other people think about it gives me a constant source for new ideas in my job.:)
Sep 22, 2008 20:02
GUESTTHEEDGER It just seems like it all just for fun and I hope it stays that way.
Sep 24, 2008 00:07
GUEST22738 Why learn chinese is so difficult?

English is a language of alphabetic writing, the language region in the brain in native English-language people is in Wernike area of the brain, Wernike areas are connected to the hearing area, Chinese is a graphical language, the areas of Chinese language is in the Broca area of the brain, Broca area is connected to the region of movement and color functional areas of human, Wernike area is incompatible with Broca area,
If we use Wernike area to learn Chinese, it will become extremely difficult.
Therefore, native alphabetic writing people who want to learn Chinese, must overcome the resistance in native-protection systems and enter the Broca area, because it is linked to the movement and color functional areas of human, So it is necessary to increase the active time of Broca area through using more visual, auditory sensory organ !

http://www.chinese-family.com/chinese-17.htm
Nov 2, 2008 07:36
  • YINDUFFY
I have found that Mandarin Chinese is spoken using the back of the throat while English is mostly the front (lips and toungue). English is tolerant of pronunciation and accents.
Pinyin helps but like any new language it is best if you immerse yourself in the language and culture.
Nov 6, 2008 23:31
GUEST28173 Hello, I am an Arabe native speaker. Well, Arabic is very tough to learn. First of all , it has some sounds that the great majority of people can not utter. In addition, it structure differs a lot from the other languages. Its grammar is the most difficult grammar in the word. but It is very good to give it a chance.

NB: there is the classical Arabic that most Arabe people use for writing. it is also the language with which the religious book 'quran' was written. there are also many varieties that are used in northern Africa and some parts of Asia.
Nov 7, 2008 01:55
  • WANHU
Two most difficult languages to learn -- why only two? I know my mother tongue very well because I was taught both formal and informal when I was a child thus like others, I formulate that it is really not difficult. I know a little bit of English to enable me to communicate. English pronunciations at times, still do confuse me and my friends whom we shared English lessons with. The words but, busy, bury, butte, buy, burger, etc though start with the same bu but pronounce differently. Still, many people managed to master this language.

I have tried to learn other languages, but to no avail. For Tamil I managed to get a credit C during my Lower Certificate of Education examination (or equivalent to Junior Cambridge in the 60s). You may be able to read Tamil writings but that doesn't mean you know its meaning. I managed to pick up a little bit of other languages, such as German, Spanish, Arabic and Thai, but over the years due lack of practice I can only show certificates of attendance rather than fluency and later become history. I hope starting next year, I will start with basic putong hua. We never know how hard a food is until we chew.
Jan 10, 2009 18:50
  • DODOY
Hi, I don't know whether Arabic is difficult to learn. I'm a english major, my second language is Germany. T think Germany is very difficult to learn, though it has many places similar to Ebglish, but very complicated,
Jan 10, 2009 23:01
  • JAAP
Hmmm, I speak more than one language.
My first language is Dutch, English 2nd, German 3rd.
Furthermore a little French and Hebrew (close to Arab, at least it is related)

Since I have experience with learning languages, I find Chinese not extremely more difficult then others. The biggest challenge is the pronounciation, but, with exercise and a good teacher, it is not extremely hard. One note, it does matter whether you are an English native speaker, since English native speakers have a little more trouble in any language (for instance Dutch, French and German).
May 1, 2009 00:31
GUESTRAYNTAN Hello I'm ryan i'm new here. I just wanted to drop a note to say hello and i'm pleased to be here.
May 26, 2009 13:17
  • FUHSING
Quote:

Originally Posted by CHYNAGYRL

You can trace English, Greek, Sanskrit, even Korean are all derivative somehow from Phoenician -- but Mandarin is different from those. That's one thing that makes it so special :-)

Not sure about Korean. As I understand, Korean is a daughter language of Chinese.
Page 6 of 8    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Two most difficult languages to learn
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code