Menu
Help: About the Road Names
Feb 26, 2007 19:22
  • SERENA07
Westerners who have ever been to China could have such an experience: the translation of names of roads, shops, or words of caution in public places often make people confused or even lead to misunderstanding. For Example, "白云路" is translated as "White Cloud Road" in one's guide book while as "Baiyun Road" on the signpost. Travelers consequently can not find the correct road.

Such variations in name translation often make trouble. I am eager to know which version is most acceptable according to you westerners, White Cloud Road, Baiyun Road, or Baiyun Lu, or some others?

Another question: Is Chinese Pinyin hard for you to remember and identify?

Feb 26, 2007 20:54
  • HEIDI
I also have the same question. Hoping someone could give us the answer.
Feb 26, 2007 21:38
  • CHRISWAUGHBJ
1: Hanyu pinyin is very simple and easy and should be the romanisation system of choice.
Onto the real topic: Names should never be translated unless there is a generally accepted equivalent in the target language. Xianggang is Hong Kong. Beijing is Beijing (Peking is only used in historical contexts or in the names of institutions (Peking University) which have historically used 'Peking' in their English names). The same principle applies to street names. 白云路 should never be translated "White Cloud Street" for the obvious reason that it causes unnecessary confusion. 'Baiyun Lu' and Baiyun Road/Street' are acceptable, although I, personally, would use 'Baiyun Lu'.
Feb 27, 2007 03:14
  • ELLEN77
yes, I have also found the trouble with it. Personally, I also prefer Pinyin to be used. The problem is: Do westerners always know the Pinyin 'Lu' 'Jie' equally to 'road' and 'street'? I find the not very well-known streets or roads in Chinese cities, especially in small cities are often translated as PINYIN.
Mar 2, 2007 22:43
  • JABAROOTOO
Pinyin is wonderful and relatively easy to get a grasp of. It is not necessary to translate into English or any other language for that matter. As we learn Mandarin we can do a mental translation ourselves. It is always fun to finally understand place names and wonder about the history and origin of the names themselves.

Most foreigners move around the city/country using maps, looking for landmarks etc and these help a great deal because they often have characters and pinyin both of which we can compare even if we do not understand them. I seldom if ever get lost, perhaps go out of my way a little but this usually nets me some interesting sites or experiences.

Aug 16, 2014 16:57
GUESTLIU XUQIU Sichuan, Luzhou, Jiangyang District, Wayaoba Road, 71/4, People's Republic of China.
Post a Reply to: Help: About the Road Names
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code