Menu
Cost of traveling in China ?
Mar 29, 2007 02:33
  • LIONPOWER
Laser,
Guangzhou cheaper that HK. Some time 50%
So better to stay in Guangzhou.
Keep in mind, In April, Guangzhou some what expensive for Canton fair there.
Mar 29, 2007 08:28
  • LASER
Strange my post disappeared

We are thinking about traveling to Guangzhou, Guangdong China,,,

We do not even know the difference between RMB and Yuan

Our friends say it is better to stay in Kowloon

What would an apartment there cost to stay...

What is the average wage there..

Again we are brand new and know little any help is greatly appreciated
Mar 29, 2007 08:56
  • LIONPOWER
Your post not disappeared.
Your previous post in page one.
Please check
Mar 29, 2007 23:37
  • JANFRISK
A necceary question, reckons, but, what cost are you comapring with?
Apr 2, 2007 22:07
  • BETWEENUS21
hi Laser, yes staying in HK is a very expensive option - as if u want u can just get a hotel across the border in shenzhen for less than half of what a decent hotel will costs u in kowloon. The rmb and yuan is the SAME thing. U can take a direct train from HK Hon Hom station all the way to Guangzhou East station in 2 hrs. Guangzhou have good food and as long as u go there before the 12 April, then its ok as after that hotel prices will increase by at least 3 times the normal due to the Canton Fair - and in fact all prices will be upped during this fair - so its not advisable to clash with the fair.
Apr 3, 2007 03:57
  • COLAIDO
to Laser,
yuan is the chinese pronunciation for RMB, about 8RMB=1USD.
im not sure where is Kowloon, its a city in Honkong?
my sisiter in guangzhou, her wage is 4000RMBa month, im sure it wont less than 10,000 for a foreigner. it depend on which company or school u choose. u can find a two bed rooms apartment in guangzhou in 2000-4000 monthly, that depend on how close to downtown.

to pual,
how can u only spend 160RMB per day? where did u find that 60RMB hotel? in my memory,any motel below 100RMB is hard to stay.

to LISATALK ,
u dont need to spend that much money on a 5-stars hotel. a 3-stars hotel or a good motel is very enough. why not save your money to eat and play more?
Apr 3, 2007 10:26
  • LASER
Thanks to everyone for responding with such advice.

So 8 Yuan equal $1 USD,, is that after or before exchange rate.

When does the Canton Fair end?

Must be rough if your sister's wage is 4000 Yuan/RMB per month ($500 USD)
and the cost of an apartment is 240 to 500 USD per month!

a hotel at 160RMB (20 USD) per day seems best, do they have weekly or monthly rates. Everyone says in Asia, negotiate, negotiate.

They say they want to charge me a duty to bring my computer stuff over there.

How much is a simple computer with Windows in Guangdong?

Is there internet service at the hotels or apartments?

Again, thanks, everyone, for the help.
Apr 3, 2007 15:40
  • APAULT
Colaido: Most of the hotels I stayed in were very basic. Most had a shower, usually hot water, and toilet. Most were clean, but might have peeling paint, and perhaps a few broken fittings. Most had aircon, clean sheets (a few didn't!), and many had the electricity and water facilities dangerously close! These hotels abound around most rail and bus stations. If I pay more, I cannot travel for such a long period.

Laser: In most cities a foreign teacher's pay is between 4000 and 5500rmb a month, plus free accommodation and some airfares. There are very few jobs for foreigners at 10,000 rmb, but in the biggest cities they seem to go up to about 7,000 rmb. Normal local teachers, from my discussions with them, earn from 800 rmb to 1500 rmb. In one of Guangdong's smaller cities (Zhanjiang), you can easiily rent an apartment for 800rmb a month.

That exchange rate is in China and approximate, there is not much loss in the exchange.
Apr 3, 2007 21:26
  • COLAIDO
LASER:
my sister lived in a apartment with some flatmate,so that make it cheaper.

PUAL:
is a foreign teacher earn so less in china? its different from my estimate.
i think laser means guangzhou, not guangdong.guangzhou is a big and develped city in china, u can assimilate it to shanghai and beijing.in the city,the rent for a apartment wont be lower than beijing, the rent i said means the apartment in downtown.
in uptown, out of the city centre, it should be good to find a apartment for 1000-2000, the price depend on where u lived.
Apr 4, 2007 05:12
  • CSHANSELLO
Yuan is the same as RMB. Yuan is also called "kuai". The smaller units of money are called "jiao" (formal) or "mao" (informal).
I usually spend around 100-200 yuan on a mid to low class hotel. When you go into a hotel, the prices listed are not fixed. You can haggle.
Airfair within China is usually between 580 to 900 yuan one way, depending on where you're going. Trains are cheeper. Hard sleeper is the best way to travel comfortably over long distances, but is often sold out.
Hard sleeper usually costs about half of a plane trip, but will take much longer.
I don't know the average wage in Guangdong specifically, but as an English teacher in China, normal pay is between 3200 and 7000 RMB per month depending on the school, your education, and the city. Even at 3200,
it is more than enough to live on. However, I don't know apartment costs, since accomidation has always been included in my contract.
Hope that helps!
Page 2 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Cost of traveling in China ?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code