Menu
Tell Others Your Travel Traps here!
Oct 5, 2008 15:42
GUEST12134 Beware of taxi drivers who try to lure you into going to places like clubs, karaoke, bars. DO NOT GO. You will be practically robbed by these thieves who have connection with people with background. One of my friends just came back from Beijing and told us the horror story. He ended up paying thousands for about 1/2 hour of karaoke entertainment.
Oct 9, 2008 09:33
  • JOSHIRV57
Frankly,to tell anyone all the travel traps I have been in would take a long time. But there have been a lot of narrow escapes.
Nov 8, 2008 22:30
  • CHINAGUY
discounted" to the real price of 40 once we saw that written on the ticket itself) in order to simply go to the parts of the boat where one could see the surrounding scenery, and almost none of the tickets were included. We were asked to pay for almost every one of our stops, excepting two (which noone would really want to see anyway). The worst of which was the actual three gorges dam, where we were not told that our tickets weren't included and we got off the boat, went up in the lift, and suddenly saw our boat departing. We were then completely stuck; buy a ticket to tour the damned dam for 150 kuai or buy a bus ticket to where the boat would meet us for 30.
Nov 9, 2008 00:04
  • WANHU
My friends and I hailed a taxi near Beijing Lu, GZ for Humen, Dongguan. The guide, whom I consider and treat like my own family, was not familiar with the fare, but the driver asked 250RMB for 4 persons. After 5 minutes of travelling we were stopped by some police officers armed with video cameras. They asked me, and not my guide, in Chinese about the fare. Well, I may look like a Chinese but I can't speak Putong hua nor any other Chinese dialects (only understand a little bit of Hokkien or Minnan hua).

Two officers with two video cameras interviewed and recorded our statements. One of my friends said to me jokingly, "hey Wan, maybe we are under: "You Asked For It" programme!" The taxi driver was taken away and one officer stopped a taxi for us. The new driver charged us160RMB to a hotel in Humen, not far from the Taiping bus station. Well indeed, he (the first taxi driver) asked for it.
Nov 23, 2008 15:23
GUEST49243 hi guys,
just need to know if i am travelling to hong kong, macao and shenzhen carrying swiss francs is it better to change the currencies in the mentioned places? or it's safer to have changed it before i travel? kind of worry about the counterfeit money.
Nov 25, 2008 02:15
  • WANHU
In some countries, authorised money changers offer better deal than commercial banks. In-so-far, through my experience, neither commercial banks nor authorised money changers ever dispense counterfeit notes, In Macau, HK currency is widely circulated and used, while in SZ mostly accepted in Luohu area but discouraged with low exchange buying rate. Customers never gain profit in monetary exchange..

Counterfeit notes are often circulated at street stalls. If you haven't seen Chinese Yuan or HK Dollar, get some and watch closely its images, designs and paper textures.

Wan
Nov 25, 2008 11:46
GUEST72113 thanks for the advice wan. will change some before travelling just to make sure..
Dec 7, 2008 04:36
  • APAULT
According to Chinese friends, bank staff have been involved in issuing counterfeit notes through ATM's, though I have no experience of it. You should not change money with unofficial changers (and they are not very common) as the difference is very small and there is the added risk.

I don't know how someone will go with Swiss Francs, but travellers should be aware that not all major foreign currencies can be exchanged: I was unable to exchange S Korean won which is amazing as it is one of the 6 currencies against which the Yuan is based!
Mar 2, 2009 19:21
  • EDYHARTO
I have visited China no less than 20 times on package tours. Each time, somehow the tour guide will take us for free consultation service by Chinese physicians. Nine out of ten times they'll say we have some kind of illness and recommend herbs or medication, supposedly for recovery. Usually they will say, the medication has to be taken continuously for six months if not a year. And they will `despatch' to us when we run out of medication.

I would not say that all the medication are not efficacious but I would say that they are not that cheap and travellers should be very sure before they buy them.

Even knowing this information will not prevent a traveller from buying the medication. I relate to you an incident. We were in Zhuhai on Free and Easy. We booked a `bread' mini-bus and the driver was good. We agreed to go with him to a medicine shop and agreed among ourselves to be wary and not to buy any medicine. But after the visit, we found that my friends had bought about S$400 worth of Chinese herbs!

At Chengdu and other places, there could be offers of free `foot reflexology'.
When we are enjoying the reflexolodgy, the men in white robe, the `doctors' will appear and take your pulse and they will persuade you to buy the medication! Or if your wife is with you, they will `play' on your feelings. `Sir' your wife have this sickness and this medication will cure her. `Madam' your hubby is suffering from....., look at his eyes, his face, his hands, take this medicine and he will be well again......Buyers beware!
Mar 11, 2009 04:01
GUEST3892 http://community.travelchinaguide.com/forum2.asp?i=51614
Page 10 of 21    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Tell Others Your Travel Traps here!
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code