Menu
what do u think about shanghai girls?
Feb 17, 2010 05:56
  • GLADIATOR
I had a nice shanghai friend who was a girl and i can vouch that she was just like any other girl i met in any other part of the world. This type of stereotyping is not fair.
Mar 7, 2010 19:08
GUESTJIZZM i know a Shanghai girl and she is very intellectural. She is independent, dynamic, friendly, pretty on the surface. I say on the surface because if she is such a good catch why is she still single at age 36?????

Maybe this Shanghai girl has some hidden Shangha flaws that are not apparent or kept hidden??
Mar 13, 2010 00:27
GUEST25528 I'm guessin you're from Shanghai!
Mar 26, 2010 22:16
  • LAUGH
I also was told that shanghai girls is not so good .vanity,money-oriented. But think carefully, how about people elsewhere in the world?
Mar 30, 2010 09:51
........that's said to be culture, right?
Let it be....and enjoy your own life.

Besides, I just happened to know that Vietnam girls like to marry Chinese too.....the global situation is cruel. And even more there is a rumor running saying "20,000RMB can buy you a Vietnam beauty"....such a world....
Mar 30, 2010 20:31
  • JIMMYB
"20,000RMB can buy you a Vietnam beauty"....

I heard this. A Chinese report says that a Chinese guy who once did manual labor jobs planned to go to Vietnam to "buy" a wife. Didn't know if he succeeded.
Mar 31, 2010 20:21
  • XIAOBAIHE
JIMMYB, you guys's statements have out away from the theme of this thread. Here is the one excerpted from NewYorkTimes that says something true about the most beautiful oriental pearl- Shanghai, a great city with the most diligent folks nutured by unique culture.

Tokyo vs. Shanghai: A style standoff
By Kaori Shoji
Published: Wednesday, February 22, 2006

SHANGHAI — At the fashionable 1920 Café in central Shanghai, young women decked out in Dolce & Gabbana converse over elegant cups of jasmine tea while at the next table a group of men in impeccable black turtlenecks ogle them from behind horn-rimmed glasses.

The atmosphere is hip and subdued with just a whiff of sleaze - a ghostly remnant, perhaps, of the days (around 1920) when the city was popularly dubbed "Whore of East Asia" and "Pearl of the Orient."

The big difference: Back then, the average Shanghainese wouldn't have been able to frequent a café like this one, where a cup of coffee is $2.50.This place would have been a hangout for colonialists and Western merchants. Now it's where Shanghainese models and their boyfriends come for a quiet talk before joining their friends for dinner. It's where designers show work samples to prospective clients before heading off to, say, the famed V.I.P.nightclub financed by the pop diva Faye Wong.

There's no doubt about it, Shanghai is nowthe most exciting city in East Asia, usurping Tokyo's position as No. 1.

Mar 31, 2010 20:22
  • XIAOBAIHE
Says Kenta Mitsui, a 29-year-old photographer who moved from Tokyo two years ago: "I stand on a street corner back home and, well, it's just a street corner. In Shanghai, the streets are so vibrant, buzzing with energy, it's like the very air is reprimanding me for daring to just stand there. I should be working, going out, making tons of money, whatever, something, ANYTHING! That's the air you breathe in Shanghai."

Mitsui is one of a growing number of Japanese artists who have abandoned Tokyo and bypassed New York and Paris to put their money on Shanghai.

"In eight more years,"Mitsui predicts, "Shanghai will have outdone Tokyo in everything from fashion to music to art, and let's not even discuss architecture."

While that still remains to be seen, it's true that Tokyo's fashion and design industries can no longer afford to turn a blind eye to Shanghai's colossal influence.

Mito Yokokawa, who had worked for a Japanese apparel company and now lives in Shanghai as a media consultant-interpreter, says: "I think the Japanese woman has a lot to learn from China, particularly a city like Shanghai, where the women are attractive, strong-minded and bursting with confidence. Before, Tokyo fashion had been a lot about blending influences from the catwalks of Paris and Milan into generic brands, but I have a feeling that will change."

Mar 31, 2010 20:23
  • XIAOBAIHE
Indeed, Japanese fashion magazines now routinely carry articles about Shanghainese methods of makeup and style while exhorting the nation's women to adopt Chinese traditional tips on beauty maintenance. (Apparently, it's the tea. Tea, tea, tea!)

Yokokawa says she never ceases to be amazed by the perfect skin textures andthe well-defined, statuesque physiques of Shanghai women as opposed to Japanese women, whose physiques tend to be flat and uninteresting. "And Chinese women are more energetic, vibrant, strident. As a Japanese living in this city, I'm always kept on my toes."

The Japanese textile manufacturer Itokinfeels the same way. While there's nothing new about a Japanese apparel company setting up in China, Itokin has taken the formula a step further to create its very own, Chinese- Japanese brand called Sujet. Scheduled to be started this month, Sujet is helmed by the Shanghainese designer Jonii Ma and Yuma Koshino, scion ofthe Koshino family - of the London- based designer Hiroko Koshino. It aims to create a clothing line that would match the tastes of urban, professional women in both Shanghai and Tokyo.

Ma, who speaks flawless Japanese and has been working in Tokyo for the past 10 years, says the time is ripe for just this sort of brand to hit the two cities.

"Asian fashion has always been about looking young, cute and desirable well into one's 30s," she said. "I think we're a little tired of that. Sujet targets working women in the crucial years between 28 and 38, when they're super- busy trying to balance work, family, marriage, childbearing ... and still continue to look and feel beautiful! I hope this brand will allow these women to feel pampered and privileged and, at the same time, empowered."

In the meantime, Itokin will have totaled its number of outlets across China to 350 during the year.

Mar 31, 2010 20:24
  • XIAOBAIHE
Ma, who herself is the epitome of East Asian chic (she favors her own creations combined with Viktor & Rolf), flew to Shanghai from Tokyo, with a staff comprising some of Japan's most prominent advertising talents. They were to decide on a model to represent Sujet, and an audition that promised the winner 450,000 yuan, or about $56,000, was held in the Shanghai Itokin building. The prize went to a local model called Jin Jin, who at 23 already owned two condos and looked upon modeling as a business venture.

"We're happy with the result," said Hideki Nakashima, the art directorwho was hired by Itokin to create Sujet's publicity stills. "Both the brand and Jin Jin speak of East Asia in the 21st century in a way that's beyond the prowess of the purely Japanese version. Frankly, I think we should see more of this sort of integration-collaboration going on."

Nakashima professed himself dazzled by the leaps-and-bounds progress of Shanghai, the general feeling of anything goes. "In Tokyo, the creator is hampered by red tape, laws written and unwritten, plus rigid codes of behavior. One doesn't feel that here."

Page 12 of 22    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: what do u think about shanghai girls?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code