Menu
what do u think about shanghai girls?
Mar 31, 2010 20:24
  • XIAOBAIHE
The Shanghai architect Teng Kun Yen says, however, that the city still lags far behind Tokyo in terms of aesthetic design standards. Originally from Taiwan, he laments the fact that the Shanghainese are so willing to cut off all ties to history and tradition in the mad pursuit of wealth and ever larger commercial opportunities: "In such an environment ... true design cannot be nurtured."

Teng is a Japanese design fan. He bought his entire wardrobe from Issey Miyake and designed his staff's uniforms with concepts borrowed from Miyake's Pleats Please line. He is in the midst of converting a district of derelict factory sites into a space consisting of gallery, hotel, café, restaurant and boutiques that are at most, three stories high, with intricately precise details that he sees as a quintessential factor in Japanese design.

"Maybe Tokyo wants to learn from Shanghai ... but I think the feeling is mutual," he says. "Right now, there are signs that a creative dialogue is about to flourish between the two cities.

"And really, that's the most important thing, isn't it?"

Apr 1, 2010 01:36
GUESTGWAILO Isn't the topic about how shanghai girls are materialistic and spoiled little girls rather than how fashionable and confident they are?
Apr 1, 2010 03:20
  • YES_NONO
I just want to say, Shanghai girls are too expensive to get married.That's all!
Apr 1, 2010 22:55
GUEST21249 Of Shanghai women and their traitsBy Chen Weihua (China Daily)
Updated: 2009-09-25 08:27

To many Chinese men around the country, Shanghai women have remained a mystery that is both bewitching and confounding.

In countless movies and posters, the typical woman of Shanghai is seen to be dolling up in cheongsam, sipping coffee, playing mah-jong in the afternoon, holding a cigarette between her slender fingers and dancing her night away with ever changing partners in an elegant ballroom. Indeed, she reminds people of Eileen Chang, a writer who lived in Shanghai during the Japanese occupation and wrote about love and romance in those impossible and surreal times. One of her best known novels, Lust, Caution, was made into a movie by noted director Ang Lee in 2007.

Chang and the women in her novels have carved a deep impression in people's minds. They are seen to be smart, modern, stylish, elegant, carefree and meticulous, almost obsessive, about every detail of their dresses and accessories.

One signatory word to distinguish a Shanghai woman is dia, which refers to one who talks and acts in so overly gentlely that others can't resist being charmed or awed. It is often used to describe a woman who deliberately plays up her femininity to capture the hearts of the opposite sex.
Apr 1, 2010 22:56
GUEST21249 As people in the country's major metropolis, Shanghai women, as a group, have always been the leader in the nation's modernization drive since more than a century ago. When women in other parts of the country were largely house-bound in the early part of the last century, Shanghai women were frolicking on the beach in the city's Gaoqiao area and attending schools and learning foreign languages.

Everything good and bad about Shanghai women may not be exaggerated.

As a man who grows up in the city often known for its feminine character, I like Shanghai women who are smart, capable, strong and tender. I would also appreciate a bit of dia or zuo.
Apr 3, 2010 02:05
GUEST20445 @YES_NONO
i fully understand you by saying"Shanghai girls are too expensive to get married.That's all!"

but as ridiculous as it would be,shanghainese girls actually like this kind of comment,or i also could say,shanghai girls want to build up this kind of image--"look at me,look at me,i am a princess,if you want to get me,you will need to examine yourself first,cos i am playing hard to get!!"

they are just trying to put good looking labels on themselves,make them like cars,pets,watch,luxuries,so they need to use make-up,outfit,diploma,beauty,status to raise up their"price"
well,it's good to make youself pretty,high-educated,but it would be wrong if you treat yourself as expensive stuff--which just goes to the opposite way...
for the luxuries,we can really get the value back,so we dont regret of going after them,the merit of a woman are being tender,understanding,caring,having a big heart,decent,,,,so,girls,ask yourself do you have any of them,you must be beautiful with on doubt,but not decent i would say.

so,@guest91N,i couldnt agreet with you more!
Apr 10, 2010 20:12
GUESTGWAILO The comment above has written out a well thought out post about materialistic girls. Yes, there are suckers out there who will be fooled. However, there are many decent guys out there who will see through the high fashion clothes and makeup and wont waste time pursuing such diva woman when there are plenty of nice, decent woman out there.
Apr 24, 2010 08:31
GUESTHLAND7 What the heck? I'm a shanghainese/american girl and i am nothing like how u describe shanghainese girls. lots of the people who appear to be shanghainese are actually from the countryside even if they speak shanghainese.
Sep 3, 2010 03:05
GUEST34198
Quote:

Originally Posted by GUESTTY View Post

I can confirm based on my experience that Shanghai girl is materialistic, status conscious, independent, very smart, highly educated, hard working, dont do house cleaning or cook, extremely confident, well dressed and fashionable, very calculating in terms of relationship match, high maintenance, inwardly insecure, control issues... fun to hang out...

wow, you sound like a laowai who has lived in shanghai for a long time and experienced lots of SH girls!!!

pretty agree with you on 'status conscious, independent, very smart, highly educated, hard working, dont do house cleaning or cook, extremely confident, well dressed and fashionable'. as to others ~~~~ naw

Sep 18, 2010 18:06
GUESTTY I have not experience lot of SH girls but only base my beliefs on the few I have known well.

You have agreed with me on most of my beliefs but excluded others. I am shocked you do not agree with me on the high maintenance issue. It is so hard to please the SH girl I know and it is mind draining and frustrating process at times.

wow, you sound like a laowai who has lived in shanghai for a long time and experienced lots of SH girls!!!

pretty agree with you on 'status conscious, independent, very smart, highly educated, hard working, dont do house cleaning or cook, extremely confident, well dressed and fashionable'. as to others ~~~~ naw

[/quote]
Page 13 of 22    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: what do u think about shanghai girls?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code