Menu
what do u think about shanghai girls?
Oct 23, 2010 23:55
GUESTSHANGHA... dont date girls from shanghai. i am and trust me dont be a wictem
Oct 24, 2010 21:03
  • MARRIE
Hello, Guest. If you are from other parts of China, I hesitate to judge u and your folks even if we are of the same nation. We are different in terms of eating, clothing, living, ways of thinking, apperance, big difference of accents of speaking the same language. China become great coz we are united bringing about our own cultures that have been melted to the Chinese cultures as a whole for two thousands years since Qing Dynasty.

Here is about Shangnese from other source.

Shanghai Soul
Exploring Shanghainese Culture (sanghei venho), from the language to the arts

Shanghainese are a contentious, if cautious, crowd, and definitions of what constitutes both Haipai (海派, Shanghai Style) and “New Haipai” range significantly. The term Haipai originated with literary and artistic modernization movements over a century ago, but took on a life of its own to describe all forms of culture considered typical of Shanghai.

The most well-known incarnation was ‘40s scribe Zhang Ailing, iconic for her descriptions of urban life and the quirky Shanghainese character. Zhang’s modern literary successor Wang Anyi also portrays the finicky Shanghainese, most famously in 长恨歌 (Chang Hen Ge), or Song of Everlasting Sorrow, now available in English translation.

Haipai is generally associated with lane life, speaking Wu (Shanghainese is a dialect of the Wu language), exploring the “petty urbanite” (as Shanghainese jokingly refer to themselves) sensibility and is considered rooted in the Wu- Yue or Jiangnan culture of eastern China. “In Jiangnan, [the people] reference water, tend to be a bit feminine and care about the individual–it can be soft,” describes Jiang Yipeng, a Shanghainese galleryist now living in Beijing. She adds that many of Shanghai’s immigrant artists come via the China Academy of Fine Art in Hangzhou.

Peng Xiaolian, an acclaimed Haipai film director, laments that many young Shanghai natives now only speak Mandarin (and English): “But I think Shanghainese is more trendy now. That is why [we] are proud of [famous Wu-speaking, Haipai slapstick comedian] Zhou Libo. Outsiders hate Shanghainese, think we are too proud, so we are embarrassed. He was the first to speak out proudly, to say we can be proud to be Shanghainese [without it being a bad thing].”

Oct 24, 2010 21:05
  • MARRIE
other source:

“Shanghainese have gone from arrogance to embarrassment to a new protectiveness,” adds Jiang.

“Now, we have people who are popular who feel it is important to protect Shanghainese, because schools do not allow it to be used as an official language. So there is a movement led by people like Zhou Libo.”

Up till a few years ago, xiawuning, or countryside people, was a popular derisive adjective for things and people alike, but it has since been shooed from the common parlance. Peng suggests that the stereotypical Shanghainese snobbery with a reputation for superficial Westernization has receded, replaced by a healthier confidence and pride. “A lot of people have immigrated to Shanghai. Most of them, especially the white collars, graduated from universities here but are not Shanghainese and don't speak the dialect. But now they are not poor, and you cannot look down on them. Shanghai has changed a lot.”

Echoes Jiang, “In the ’80s, if you didn’t speak Shanghainese, it was hard to get by in Shanghai. Now there are a lot of New Shanghainese, and their position is high.”

What has not changed about Shanghainese culture is the linglong (玲珑)-ness of Haipai : a focus on exquisite detail, perfection and precision, be it in film or art or music, along with a focus on the personal, intimate and familiar, rather than the broad, politicized strokes of northern China.

“I just think that movies should be more literary, not with simple characters and not fictional, but reflecting real life,” muses Peng, who has refused to move to the Northern film capital. “I have tried to work with Beijing people, but it is difficult to immigrate to another culture, even if all in China. In Beijing, people’s working relationships are very difficult. I think Beijingers are more warm, and Shanghainese are more rational. Beijingers are easy to get close to quickly; Shanghainese keep their distance, but when they say yes they mean it. In Beijing, people say yes but mean no. Beijingers are easy to be friends with; Shanghainese are easy to work with.”

Oct 24, 2010 21:08
  • MARRIE
Peng’s films are among the only ones made about Shanghai by a Shanghai-based director. The award-winning Shanghai Story (美丽上海) saw a local family battle old ghosts around the hearth of a typical, muchsubdivided old mansion. “[Shanghai Story] talks pretty much about a house as a living space–it is very important to people’s life in Shanghai. A house is like a stage,” Peng suggests. Her touching Shanghai Women (假装没感觉) saw a Shanghainese mother and daughter pinged around property arrangements by a succession of personal dilemmas. “I explore people’s emotion and relations in the city, and its culture,” Peng says. “My films seem Shanghainese because I am native Shanghainese, and my movies are very low budget films so I can’t afford to pay somebody to write the script, so I write them myself. It is easy for me to write about Shanghai.”

Jiang describes Shanghainese contemporary art as, “very independent, and very cool. Their works can be very zhai (Shanghainese for finicky, precise), but their vision is very big.” As for the artists most typically Shanghainese, she lists Xu Zhen, Ding Yi, Song Tao and Yang Fudong. Yang, while a Beijing native, is an aficionado of Old Shanghai film and literature, and his works are more noticeably Haipai than most Shanghai-born artists. “A lot of immigrant artists to Shanghai change into Shanghai artists, and very much assume the Shanghai flavor, which is very sentimental, very introspective.”

In indie music as well, Shanghai bands’ styles are deliciously diverse, from pop to hip-hop to some that defy description. The signature sound changes with the band du jour. However, the over 100 original bands here, New Shanghainese included, all retain that meticulousness with quality and precision, plus that sentimental introspectiveness. Favorites like Topfloor Circus and Candy Shop would make Zhou Libo blush with their bawdily comic antics and Wu-singing performances, but musicians like other Shanghainese have gotten adept at expressing their Haipai linglong-ness in Mandarin, English, German, Japanese or whatever as much as in Shanghainese.

Oct 24, 2010 21:10
  • MARRIE
It's a very attractive melting pot-SH

Nov 3, 2010 04:09
GUEST04194
Quote:

Originally Posted by GUEST50794

As a girl from Shanghai, I LOVE those comments. Spot on~~~

Great! Thanks for your support!!
Nov 8, 2010 21:44
  • JENNIFERSHIN
well, there are many reason for this attrative woman to be single.
I know these women so well: They have good education, a job pays well, always work as an office lady. with good manners and independent. They don't need marrige to get ahead in life because they can support themselves.And they believe in living a happy life for themselves. So nationality doesn't mean anything to them.
But, when it comes to the sterotype, I know clearly where it came from: Most college girls majored in art~ they are too open and act like exposers, and sleep with any foreign guy they met, because they feel themselves supior that they can date a foreign guy. These girls are unmoral.
Well, still there is another reason, some girls are absessed with sex(you know what i mean).
Nov 8, 2010 21:47
  • JENNIFERSHIN
Obsessed. sorry.
Nov 12, 2010 23:02
  • WUYUETIAN
They are very dilligent on their own in all walks of life. Lots of evergreen superstars in HK are of SH origin.

张曼玉-
Maggie Zhang

Nov 12, 2010 23:07
  • WUYUETIAN
利智-li Zhi, Jet Li's wife

Page 15 of 22    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: what do u think about shanghai girls?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code