Menu
Do you believe in 'luck"?
Sep 13, 2007 00:49
  • CHYNAGYRL
Some people seem to have all the cards in their favour. I'm not kidding. For instance, my parents know this one woman. She doesn't have a particularly nice personality but she always wins contests. I don't think she earned it from her nice personality, but she just keeps winning contests, ie for free vacations and for money.

As for myself, I find that my "luck" does not come often. But once in a while something happens that has one out of a million chance, and I call that serendipity. I think we're all connected together in this world, but we don't see the connections. Once in a while, when you consider something "lucky" to have happened, all it was -- was a connecting thread tugging at you and reminding you of the person or situation that you invisibly connected to.
Sep 13, 2007 06:02
  • LIONPOWER
DREAMLIFE,
The Fates, the three personifications of destiny in classical and European mythology (Moirae in Greek mythology, Parcae in Roman mythology, Norns in Norse mythology).
Fatalism is commonly referred to as "the doctrine that all events are subject to fate or inevitable predetermination."

More precisely, it can refer to at least one of three interrelated ideas:-

1. That there is no free will, and everything including human actions, could only have happened as it did. This version of fatalism is very similar to determinism.
2. That although human actions are free, they are nonetheless ineffectual in determining events, because "whatever will be will be".This version of fatalism is very similar to predestination.
3. That an attitude of inaction and passive acceptance, rather than striving, is appropriate. This version of fatalism is very similar to defeatism.
Sep 14, 2007 06:45
  • ERENCIUS
Very good definition Lion.
But I already said what I thought about it. Coincidences and profits from our actions, here is luck for me. I assume it is just a mathematic probability.
Sep 19, 2007 04:38
  • JIMMYB
CHYNAGYRL, I also met a person that is similar with the one you mentioned. Gambling is his profession. It seems that he seldom loses money. Perhaps, good luck is always with him. For me, luck seldom falls upon me.
Nov 7, 2007 03:16
  • DREAMLIFE
Lion, thanks for your explanation (though it is hard for me to understand, I'll try to understand it). Do you know Oedipus who killed his father and married his mother? Perhaps, he is the typical example illustrating Fatalism.
Nov 7, 2007 03:35
  • DODGER
Dreamlife,
Oedipus did not marry his Mother, but did slept with her without knowing who she was.
Dodger
Nov 7, 2007 11:27
  • CARLOS
It was predicted he would kill his father and marry his mother, and so he did, although he did not know they were his parents.
After ansvering correct to a riddle of a sfinks, he was rewarded, he was crowned as a king and he got Iocaste, his mother to his wife.
Nov 7, 2007 11:58
  • LIONPOWER
Dream,
I did not study about Oedipus.
Personally I believe in luck.
Nov 7, 2007 20:12
  • DREAMLIFE
Quote: Oedipus did not marry his Mother, but did slept with her without knowing who she was.

Dodger, he did marry his mother and had four children (two boys and two girls) though he did not know she was her mother. They were Eteoclus, Polyneices, Antigone and Ismene. Finally, his mother hung herself and he punished himself seriously, becoming blind and exiling himself. What a tragedy!
Nov 8, 2007 04:56
  • DODGER
Dreamlife,
The ancient Greek stories and myths are supposed to be about how to live your life. This was way before Christian morals came into play.
You can read a moral into every one of these myths.
And perhaps a very close mirror of how society still works to this day.
Modern day Western thing is still based upon much Greek philosophy.
But your knowledge about this subject is to be commended as I did not know the names of the children.
Dodger.
Page 4 of 8    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Do you believe in 'luck"?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code