Menu
American seeking work in China...where do I start?
May 19, 2007 22:52
  • FREECLIMBER
Hi everyone. I want to work in China. I'm an American and do not speak Chinese yet. I have an MBA from Carnegie Mellon University and enjoy marketing, sales, and business development. Do I have a chance to work in China without knowing how to speak the language? If so, where is a good place for me to start looking for jobs?

Thank you so much for your help.
- Freeclimber
May 19, 2007 22:57
  • LIONPOWER
Teaching job good for you. Search the University.
May 20, 2007 01:29
  • FREECLIMBER
Thank you for your help. What about opportunities in the business sector?
May 20, 2007 06:15
  • APAULT
The skills are sure needed here, but most don't know it! Actually, understandable, massive growth without advanced techniques, so they can use such things for the second wave.

Not many jobs obtainable here I think. Most business jobs are peopel sent here for a period of time from their home employer. Otherwise look through the sites that advertise university jobs here.

Or bring your money and start a business...if you dare!! (In many ways!!)
May 20, 2007 07:46
  • LIONPOWER
Yes Paul, you are right.
If you have money, start business like me. Doing business in Chinese items since 1992.

MBA suitable for business sector. Problem, owner of the firms very weak or unknown in English. So they prefer Chinese people for their close helps. You can't get suitable job for you. Job they will offer you, I think not suitable or match your status. Have a try---?
May 20, 2007 17:33
  • WCTMAN
-----------------
Agreed. Good marketing ideas and good products can and will be copied "overnight". I love China, and may never leave here to return "home" to Canada, but foreigners must realize that the business world ( ie making money ) is different here. Knockoffs and fake products are everywhere. As a consumer, this is fine, bearing in mind that it is buyer beware; as a producer, it can be very frustrating and costly to do business here.

I am sure that we all have some examples. Such as: Mike ( read Nike t-shirts ), Adibas ( same ), Christian J'ior ( read D'ior ), Nire ( another Nike ). And what about Li Ping? The logo is almost exactly the same as Nike; I don't know how they get away with it.
May 20, 2007 19:03
  • CSHANSELLO
If you want to teach English, there is a huge demad for people teaching business English. You do not need to speak any Chinese to get these jobs. I look for jobs in China by going to www.daveseslcafe.org, or by finding the English department's website for universities, and sending my resume straight to them (you can get better jobs this way). Once you get out here and meet people, more and more opputunities come up.
May 20, 2007 19:33
  • FREECLIMBER
Great ! Thanks so much for your help. I will certainly take your advice. Best wishes.
May 21, 2007 03:50
  • LEMONCACTUS
Hi Freeclimber

I just want to direct you towards a website that might help you and anyone thinking of working abroad but with no real clue as to where to start. It's called Transitions Abroad and really is excellent.

Here's the URL: http://www.transitionsabroad.com/index.shtml

Good luck :)
Jun 13, 2007 22:02
  • LUCKYBAMBOO
Beside teaching or finding a job, just think about to cooperate with me, i am working in Zhanjiang city of southwest of Guangdong province of China, there are several products can be sold to worldwide which are original here without any fake problems, let's talk if you are interested with this subject, my email:hotmail.com|lyhlxhljx

Jun 23, 2007 22:43
  • KSWONG
An Ivy League degree don't count for much here. Most expats (ie Caucasians) end up teaching English where the only pre-requisite is that you must come from an English-speaking country and have white skin. Yes, you will be there with the backpackers and high school leavers who are also qualified for these jobs (no offense intended).

Sales & marketing? Why would they hire an American who speaks no Chinese when the market is like 99% Chinese-literate only?

I guess the next bet is for you to start a business. But you need to be business savvy to survive. You need capital, guangxi and a reasonable length of time in China to suss out market needs & wants.

If you have only been in academia all this while, it will be tough.

Perhaps u might want to try Hong Kong or Singapore. Anyway, all the best to you :)
Page 1 of 7    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: American seeking work in China...where do I start?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code