Menu
How long does it take to become fluent in speaking, reading and writing Chinese?
May 22, 2007 01:00
  • WINDENERGY
Hi, community......been very busy "pounding the books" and expanding my Chinese vocabulary, as well as reading, writing and speaking Putonghua on a daily basis.

I talk with Chinese children when I am touring around town and sometimes, if Iask, they help me read some Chinese writings. Some of these children are very young (4-5 y.o.) and they are able to read, and comprehend, most informational notices in the parks and streets. Being a full-time English teacher, as well as avid traveler, living in China, I am exposed to the language and writing everyday. My students in the classroom go out of their way to assist me with my studies. Now, I've been in China 15 months and I'm still a long way from being able to read a newspaper or understand Chinese television/movies.

I study everyday and I am getting frustrated.....nobody told me that this language was as difficult as it truly is. Yet, over time, I have grown to love studying it...so I won't give up! Like the Chinese proverb "Zi Qiang Bu Xi" tells us, there will be a reward at the end of this long, dark tunnel.

Does anybody know (through research or real-life experiences) just HOW LONG does it take? I have surfer the internet for this information and the writers only refer to "time-consuming" and "tediousness" adverbials.

Anyway, it's still nice to enjoy a bowl of hot noodles for only 3 RMB. Don't you agree?

May 23, 2007 03:34
  • FAERIEQUEENE
i think you shouldnt have problems with your Chinese in your daily life and you can achieve some level of fluency in speaking, reading and writing in a few years time:)
May 23, 2007 03:42
  • BBQQ
I've learnt English for more than ten years and still can't say that I'm a good English speaker. So take it easy and relax. Plus, spend more time on Chinese learning can surely help you.
May 23, 2007 22:59
  • WINDENERGY
Thanks BBQQ: That's what I am planning to do just as soon as I log off...hit the books. It's not easy to keep it up everyday after almost 500 days have passed, but, judging from where I am 1 yearago, I've come a long way. I think I can recognize more than 1,000 Chinese characters and I can have a simple conversation with a native Chinese speaker on the telephone (I already did this morning : )). Maybe, instead of 1 year (my original goal), I will take 2 or 2 and a half years. Either way, I am dedicated to accomplish this task. China has been very good to me over the last 15 months.....ups and downs like anywhere in life, but I'm coping with the confusion.

__WINDENERGY__
May 25, 2007 03:12
  • BBQQ
More communication with locals, more progress you made!!
May 28, 2007 00:26
  • ZOEY
Yes, practice is the best way. Keep learning Chinese on. You will succeed, Windenergy.
May 28, 2007 07:20
  • JOANNEL
Hi windenergy-you are lucky to be in the best spot on earth to absorb the language. I get to visit once a year for a few weeks, but spend the rest of my time trying to learn from afar. I did ask my friends the same question though, they are a married couple- she is Chinese, he Aussie. He reckons that after about two-three years of study and living there, that he suddely found he was understanding conversations in the street, and he knows characters quite well too. So keep up the good work-i've been learning for three years, just started learning characters and am living in Australia- i figure i learnt a language(ie english) in the first half of my life, and will learn another in this second half!! Yes, it's definately a long term project!!!Cheers,
Joannel
May 28, 2007 20:44
  • MAY001
It's a great task for one to learn another language. Take it slowly and enjoy. Don't worry!
May 30, 2007 03:33
  • JLEE0
hei buddy, just try to use chinese in communications and in your daily life.
the fastest chinese learner i have ever seen is a man from Canada, he can make himself understand in chinese only after half a year's learning.
just spend some time with your chinese friend, using chinese.
that do help a lot.

May 30, 2007 09:58
  • APAULT
Wish I was as clever or as dedicated as you Windy. I reckon I don't have enough years left in my life to even begin to have a real conversation in Chinese. I envy you. And seriously, working with small kids is proably the best possible environment.
May 30, 2007 21:58
  • JLEE0
hey paul, do not say so. it's never too late untill you give it up!
you can do it! come on! next time you come to china, we will see a fighter and a dreamer, a man never give up till the last moment~
Page 1 of 6    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: How long does it take to become fluent in speaking, reading and writing Chinese?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code