Menu
Marriage... How does a foreigner marry a chinese woman?
Dec 5, 2007 15:30
  • ROGERINCA
Wow, a lot of questions here !!!

I just returned home to CA, two days ago, from a month long trip to the PRC, to be with my with and daughter.

It amazes me how much misinformation is out there.

I think the guest, in post #64, says it very well. I have also posted a lot of info in the past six or so months here, in other threads, and/or posts in this thread.

I am deeply in love with my wife, who just happens to be Chinese. We will celebrate our one year wedding anniversary and a total of over two and a half year together, later this week.

I did not rush into any of this. I visited China three times, before I met my Lao Po. I have now been to China eight times and I have taken the time and have made the effort to enter my wife's life and culture and become very close to her family and circle of friends.

The US spousal visa process has slowed down very much the past several months, due to fee increases in July, and a mad rush to file and beat the steep fee hikes. I had first hoped my wife would be here for Christmas; but it now looks like late Feb, or early March, for her to be here with me in sunny CA. (California not Canada).

BTW, I have never had a conversation with her about any money for her family. I did pay for a family wedding dinner after our civil marriage cermoney in GZ; with 60 guests, I paid about 3,000 RMB, for banquet room at our hotel and all the food and beer/wine. Far less than what I would have paid in the USA.

My advice..... go slow, take your time, be sensitive, be intelligent, be ever so kind and honest. Moreover, while you do not have to be 'rich', one MUST be financially sound to accomplish all that is necessary to be successful in this endeavor. My opinion is that there are a lot of western men who really do not understand what they are embarking upon. Many who only have an imature, storybook dream of some cute Chinese doll in their head, which when the realities of life, later set in, two people may be very unhappy. My Lao Po is my friend, my soulmate, my partner, and my universe. We are equals in our relationship. We work hard at this every day, it is our mission in life.
Dec 8, 2007 10:42
GUEST14204 How many folks on here used a lawyer or some other service to help get a visa, or wished they had used one? (especially with respect to the K-1, fiancee visa)

Balance....I am using an attorney that specilaizes in Immigration law and visas. I can't tell you how thats going yet, since I just started the process.

Here is the sticky point when it comes to US Immigration/K-1/K-3 visas. If there is problems with your paperwork, they will only tell you the first problem, then you fix that and all of a sudden there is another problem and so on and so on. According to my research, they never, ever deny a visa. They just make the process so painful that sooner or later, you will give up...

Here is another point that you should well consider....you are dealing with the government...with government employees that couldn't care less what you are going through. If you think that getting your car inspected and getting it registered is a pain....then this is not something that your patience level is going to tolerate well.

I'm not trying to talk you out of anything here...but it is a slippery path you are trying to negotiate...a good Immigration lawyer would be a valuable ally...and to me, well worth the money.
Dec 9, 2007 10:10
  • BALANCE
Guest,

I share your concerns about dealing with a government bureaucracy. That is why I would consider getting a lawyer. Just emailed with someone who said he navigated the process fine without a lawyer. So many costs associated with the whole process. I'm still up in the air.
Dec 11, 2007 20:36
GUEST72242 It is allowed but on the basis that the girl you are to marry would like to.

Good luck with your search.
Dec 13, 2007 10:41
  • CARLOS
Although it was me who said one should not rush to marriage, I might say I did.

I met her online purely accidentaly. I was not looking a Chinese woman. First we did send e-mails, then we started chatting in MSN every day. I really liked (I like now too) to chat with her, she seemed to be an intelligent woman, and what´s important, she understood my humour and I understood hers.

One day I decided to fly to see her. She never asked me to. So, I asked her and she said "what took You so long?" I decided that if she is like she have been when chatting, I will propose her.
She was not.
She was more, she was... I fell in love with her almost immediately.

I woke in the morning of fifth day. Opened my eyes. Saw the most beautiful eyes I had, and have ever seen before and after. My heart almost jumped out.
I invited her to a park near the hotel. There I kneed and proposed her. She was amazed, but answered yes.

So, maybe can say I did rush, but I have always followed my heart. Now my heart was right, I know that for sure.

Carlos

Now we are only waiting for a permit of residence for her. Feels like time has stopped.
Dec 14, 2007 08:20
GUESTCOSSY Hi guys thanks for adversing for marriage in china. the question i want ask is can i use my marriage certificate to apply for a working visa in china. for any adverse. thx cossy. china.
Dec 24, 2007 01:59
  • DRICHARDS
Hello,
I am 45, male and living in the state of Arizona in the United States. I have had 1 multi-year relationship and dated China born woman living here in the USA in my past and for the last several years, have begun to desire to bring a Chinese woman from China to USA to have a marriage. I am very new to the process and have been reading and asking questions to learn what is involved.

I have been talking with a woman in Guangzhou City for about a year now.

Im interested in understanding the time it takes for the process overall in general because as I read these post, it becomes confusing. Im also confused about such details about how many visits I need to make to China and if Im suppossed to live there for 21 days as one post stated. I have a Passport which I obtained a few months ago (with destination China on it). I have not traveled and this is very new to me. Also, the entire Visa thing I dont understand much at all. In my mind, I assumed that if she was my wife, and she came to USA with me to live, I assumed she would automatically get a VISA. I have read about a K-1. What is this K-1 and if she came here as my wife, coudl she be declined and kicked out of the country later? (im just confused about this as you can see my lack of knowledge). The last thing is the money. Is there some suprise fee that will be thousands of dollars along the way?

I do have a good job and make a normal living but i dont have thousands of dollars in the bank.

Thank you in advance for your help.
David in Arizona USA

Dec 24, 2007 03:00
  • DRICHARDS
Hi Post #64,

Im confused about a basic thing. You said your married for 2 1/2 years and now your applying for a Visa to USA. Can you break that down? Do you mean your living in the USA and shes living in China for 2 1/2 years and if so why? Is that the rule? Does a person get married and then wait years before shes allowed to come to the USA?

Thank you,
David
Dec 28, 2007 19:39
GUESTPETER Is your name Martin?
Dec 31, 2007 22:30
  • ROGERINCA
The overall time has recently increased; now at least 10 to 12 months, for both a K-1 or a K-3.

The official USCIS/DOS requirement is one visit to the beneficiary by the petitioner. However, most do at least two and many visit more times.

There is no requirement for any specific number of days for the visit. Most spend at least two weeks, 10 to 15 days.

Not sure what a passport “with a China destination on it“, is ??
You must have a valid USA Passport with a valid travel visa for issued by the PRC, affixed to one of the pages of the passport.

If you follow the procedures to marry her in the PRC, you must file for the K-3 visa or CR-1 visa. She has no right to come to the US with you, just because you married her.
A US Citizen (USC) has a right to marry anyone as long as they are single (free to marry) however, there is no right to immigrate her to the US.

A K-1 visa is for a fiancée, wherein you would marry her here in the US, within 90 days of entry. If no marriage, she will be deported.

Yes, the process is more expensive now. Figure at least $10,000 including airfare, from start to finish. Also, you must show that you are at least at 125% of the US Poverty Guidelines.

As I said in previous posts, you cannot have a criminal record with respect to the abuse of woman or children. You must have paid your taxes and not be behind in child support etc. These are all things that can put a wrench in the process. Google: IMBRA.

There are many steps to the process and many forms to fill out and a lot of info to organize and submit.

One person cannot answer all of your questions. It will be incumbent upon yourself to do a lot of reading and research in this regard. I started this in early 2004, with my first trip to the PRC, and I am still learning and reading every day.

The first step is to meet the person and ensure you and her are really compatible. Then build from there. This is a major undertaking and it takes 100+ % commitment, and so much patience, to accomplish and have success.

Go on line and read all you can in this regard. You can consult the web-page for the PRC Consulate in Los Angeles for info on the marriage certificate info, the LA Consulate serves Arizona.
Page 8 of 56    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Marriage... How does a foreigner marry a chinese woman?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code