Menu
To stand back or fight?
Oct 23, 2007 20:28
  • LEOPOLD219
ICEBERG, it seems that you are pessimistic. It is true that modern people have become too indifferent. But there are still some heros who risk their lives to help others. We shouldn't lose our confidence. If I were the driver, I would offer hands to others.
Oct 24, 2007 21:26
  • JIMMYB
To stand back or fight? If I were confronted with this situation, I would firstly think about whether I could beat the robber. If so, I woudn't hesitate to fight him. Otherwise, I would try other ways to offer help. If you are not able to fight him, you should not risk your life and be the second victim.
Oct 28, 2007 01:18
  • ELLEN77
Yes one really should not to be blamed for not being able to saving a person, but we should do something at that moment at least.

This reminds me a story that I read in a maganizine.
On a bus running in a remote area, a group of bad guys threat the woman driver to stop and intend to pull her out. The woman cries for help to the passengers on the bus, but no one come out instead they all would not like to waste their time and shout the woman to promise the bad guys, except one man who calls up people to help the woman. Of Course, the man is suffered to serious beatings by the bad guys. Then we know what will happen to the woman.

Finally the hurted woman driver come back to the bus, and shouts to the good man to get off. No matter what he explain the woman doesn't listen to him. At last the man has to get off at the shoutings of the driver and the passengers on the bus.

The next day when reading the newspaper the good man finds a report that a bus coming to XX is dropped in a cliff, all the passengers are dead except one revives.

Oct 28, 2007 22:14
  • DREAMLIFE
Ellen, I read this story. If I remember it correctly, this story has been made a film and won an international award. Those passengers paid too much for their indifference. I really could not understand that why they did not offer their hands to that driver. At least, they were on the same boat. Those bad guys could hurt the driver, they also could do the samething to them. Personally, I think that they derserved the consequence.
Oct 29, 2007 01:42
  • ELLEN77
Yes, the passengers are really worth no sympathy. When reading it I'm also very angry about them and really can say nothing.
Oct 29, 2007 03:00
I think that was taking things too far but I can understand her anger, the passengers would have probably felt the guilt of not helping for the rest of their lives, I don't think anyone truly knows how they would react until they are faced with a situation like this.
Oct 29, 2007 17:55
  • WCTMAN
I would have no hesitation in stepping in. I have already done so on 3 comparatively minor incidents here in Xi'An. By minor I mean no weapons were visible.

In the first case, I stopped a guy who was beating his wife. My friends were shocked, and told me later that a street beating like this was none of my business. That explains why nobody did anything. I didn't have to do anything physical either; I just shoved the guy away from his wife, who was down on the ground, and let him know ( in English, lol ) that he can fight with me if he wants to. He didn't.

On the second occasion, another Canadian and I came across a large crowd of people watching a heated argument between a couple of street vendors. When one grabbed a nearby chair and charged his opponent, my pal and I got involved. The locals, to their credit, jumped in too ( but only after a couple of lao wai did ). The fight was over before it really started.

The third one involved a two on one beating that began across the street from where I was sitting with some friends. There were plenty of bystanders right there, but NOBODY did anything to help this guy who was getting the crap kicked out of him. As soon as I yelled out and began to cross the street ( it was late at night ), the fight ended as the two guys who were doing the kicking took off.

The point I am trying to make is that intervention often serves as a complete distraction. The attacker does not know if one or ten people are going to get involved. Fleeing the scene becomes first priority. And that serves to stop the attack.

Oct 30, 2007 21:50
  • BBQQ
Hey, WCTMAN. You are really a good guy. If I were confronted with the situation that Zoey had said, I would feel very panic and did not know what to do, let alone helping others:(
Oct 31, 2007 09:51
I would have no hesitation in stepping in. I have already done so on 3 comparatively minor incidents here in Xi'An. By minor I mean no weapons were visible.

Neither would I.
I have been trained to deal with people like this, I have had knives pulled on me, it can be scary, not everyone is capable and nor should they try or they could get hurt or worse killed.
BBQQ is being honest saying she would panic and not know what to do, most people would be the same so I understand.
Alan.
Page 4 of 4    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: To stand back or fight?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code