Entering Mainland China from Hong Kong
Jul 16, 2007 05:25
  • Points:
  • Join Date: Aug 17, 2005
  • Status: offline
Hello all,

Please forgive me for posting this here again, but I got no responses from the visa section.

I am getting ready to return to China in a couple of months, and I have some new questions. This time, I think I want to fly into Hong Kong, stay there for a few days, then go to Zhuhai, on to Shenzhen, Guangzhou, northward to Wuhan, Xiangfan, back down to Zhuhai, and finally back to Hong Kong to catch my plane back to the US.

If I am reading my information correctly, I can go to Hong Kong for up to 90 days without a visa. So, my question is, if I go to Hong Kong first, then enter mainland China on my tourist visa, spend some time in the cities I have listed, and then return to Hong Kong, will there be any visa troubles? I know I can only enter mainland China once on my single entry visa, but can I return to Hong Kong to catch my plane back to America?

One more question. I understand that Hong Kong, Shenzhen, and Guangzhou are considered high risk areas for malaria and dengue fever. Should I get preventive medications for these before going to those places?

Thank you all for your help.
Jul 16, 2007 16:53
  • Points:
  • Join Date: Apr 14, 2007
  • Status: Offline
If your visa is the same as mine then you should have no problems, I always fly into HK then on to mainland and back out to fly home from HK. Doing that is your single entry as a tourist, once in and then out again.
I would advise getting your visa before you arrive to save time, you dont want to queue up and waste valuable time.
As for malaria my doc told me south west is the danger not HK and surrounding bits but I am taking precautions anyway. I have gone for the doxycycline pills as they have few side affects and I have had them before.
Jul 16, 2007 22:26
  • Points:
  • Join Date: Aug 8, 2006
  • Status: Offline
yes your itinerary works with a single entry China visa. In HK no need for a (hongkong) visa for each entry upto 90 days. Your single-entry China visa will allow you to get into Mainland China from HK once and be back to HK to catch your flight back .

no risk in Hongkong for malaria, in South China eat carefully and only in places with good hygienes
Jul 17, 2007 04:59
  • Points:
  • Join Date: Mar 11, 2006
  • Status: Offline
Now u have been answered in both! Good luck
Jul 22, 2007 07:35
  • Points:
  • Join Date: Aug 17, 2005
  • Status: Offline
Hey Guys,

Sorry it took me so long to thank all of you for your help. I have been really pressed for time the last few days. I really do appreciate your help. Thanks.
May 23, 2008 10:35
  • Points:
  • Join Date: May 23, 2008
  • Status: Offline

getting ready to go to hong kong and then onto mainland china if it works out. did you get your visa ahead of time or when you arrived in hong kong. any tips? i will be traveling for 2 weeks. did you enjoy your itinerary? any advice is greatly appreciated--

a sims
May 23, 2008 10:42
  • Points:
  • Join Date: Oct 30, 2005
  • Status: Offline
Most nationalities do not need a visa for Hong Kong, but need to apply for a visa in advance for mainland China. The latter is especially difficult to get now.
May 24, 2008 06:36
  • Points:
  • Join Date: Aug 7, 2007
  • Status: Offline
You'll have no problems with the itinerary. Don't worry about malaria or dengue fever--they're very rare (or at least a very small percentage considering the huge population). Just take along some mosquito repellent. My advice is to skip Shenzhen unless you want to buy a lot of fake junk--there's almost no culture or places of real interest there (I know, I've been living there three years now). There's definitely plenty to do in Guangzhou though--a lot of nice culture there to see. If you have time, check out Macau on the way to Zhuhai. Even if you don't gamble, there's a lot to do, and it's a rather relaxing city.
Sep 24, 2008 02:21

I would like to ask you experts something..

My situation is as follows: i will land in Guangzhou (mainland China), stay there for some days, then go to Hong Kong also for 2 or 3 days and then come back to Guangzhou for another few days.

Question: do i need a visa for 2 entries or will be a visa for single entry enough, according to that Hong Kong is like a "province"?

Thanks in advance for your answers!
Sep 24, 2008 04:05
  • Points:
  • Join Date: Feb 20, 2007
  • Status: Offline
You need to apply double entry or multi-entry visa.
Oct 25, 2008 02:27
  • Points:
  • Join Date: Oct 30, 2005
  • Status: Offline
Double-entry visa, if you don't already have a multi-entry.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Entering Mainland China from Hong Kong
(You can post as a member (login first) or a guest!)
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code