Menu
waiting for a fiance visa
Aug 15, 2007 11:28
  • RONDRUM42
Hi there, I am from Detroit Michigan, and my fiance is in Harbin China.
I was wondering if anyone knows how long it takes to get a fiance visa approval? I filed in March of 2007, and by June 2007, our paperwork was approved here in the U.S. and forwarded to the Embassy in Guanzhou, China. Also if there are any other American guys married or getting married to a Chinese girl, let's talk. Thanks for your help :-) RON

Aug 15, 2007 18:27
  • GRIZ326
I am told that if things go smoothly it is an 8 month process.

Are you using an attorney or trying to do it yourself?

Aug 15, 2007 22:05
  • RONDRUM42
Thanks for the good news!
Yes I did go thru an Immigration Attorney ($600)
Aug 16, 2007 06:41
  • ROGERINCA
The 'Processing Time History' for a K-1 Visa, at the US Consulate in Guangzhou, after receipt of case file from the NVC in the USA, is approx. another 83 days as of August 16th.

Depending on the regional Service Center in the US, in which your case file was processed, on [average], as of today's date, it is taking anywhere from 6.5 to 9 months, from date of filing the I-129f, to date of interview at the Consulate in Guangzhou. Based on the dates you have provided, yours seems to be on a faster track. Therefore, your fiancee is most likely looking at an interview date of mid September to early October.

How many visits have you made to her, since first meeting ?? Are you planning on being at the Consulate in GZ the date of her interview; as well as attending the ACH which is held at the Consulate every Monday ?? These can be important considerations with the K-1, to help demonstrate a bona fide relationship.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask. I am looking at a mid January to early February interview date for my June K-3/K-4 filing.
Aug 16, 2007 11:29
  • RONDRUM42
Thank you for the encouraging news! Yes things seem to be moving along for us, but it seems like it's taking FOREVER!
And in answer to your questions, we met online a year ago. I was in Harbin in January for 2 weeks. We both feel
the same about this, and want to be married, and live here
together in the U.S. We talk every day through e-mail, some phone calls, and chat with web cams on the weekend. I included everything I could with our paperwork. Pictures of us together, my plane tickets, e-mails, and a letter of intent from both of us. Unfortunatly because of my job, I have not been able to return to China since January. I would love to go back once she has her Visa, and celebrate with her family, and then bring her home with me. I hope that we dont have any problems convincing them that we Are in love and Want to get married. Do they make it that difficult??? Also, I am not familiar with a K3/K4 type Visa. What is the difference? Thank's for offering to help with your advice. (Ron)
Aug 17, 2007 02:26
  • ROGERINCA
With respect to the number of visits: While the USCIS/DOS rules state that one visit is required, they like to see more; two is really great and three is even better. However, one can only do, what one can do.

If you can make the second visit at the time of her interview, that would be great.
Depending on which day her interview falls on, it would also be beneficial to attend the American Citizen Hour, (ACH) which is held on Mondays. Refer to USCONGUZ website for the time. Here they will answer questions for the spouse/fiancée, (citizen only no Lao Po) and they will log you in to show that you are their to support her during her interview.

If the interview is successful (Pink slip) then the visa is ready for pick up at the post office in about two business days, sometimes one or two more.

Yes, I think it is important also to fly home with her, so as to give her emotional support and ensure there are no issues at the POE where you arrive.

For some it is very easy and for some others, it can be difficult, with a Blue slip and then the overcome process, which can take on average two to three months.

It all depends on background checks, financial situation, domicile in the US, and many other factors that all form a profile of a bona fide relationship for the various levels of review, from USCIS, to FBI, to DOS etc.

A fiancée visa is a K-1, and with a child adds the K-2. When one is already married, the process is different (more paperwork) and it is a spousal visa K-3 and with a child add the K-4. I married in GZ, so I am going the K-3 / K-4 route, more money, more time, more paper; however, a happy Lao Po !!
Aug 17, 2007 11:36
  • RONDRUM42
Thank you so much ROGERINCA, for your knowledge and
suggestions. I see you live in California. I live in Michigan.
Do you have any suggestions for cheap or lower cost flights to China? My fiance lives in Harbin, which is in the most Northeastern corner of China. Last trip in January cost me aprox 1200 dollars. I flew United Airlines from Detroit, to Chicago,
to Beijing, then up to Harbin on Air China. I do want to go back, but like I said the money, and the time off work are tough. Im not sure if it would be better to go back for the interview, or go back when she is ready to leave for America??? I just look forward to the day when she is here,
and we dont have to worry about any of these immigration issues. Do you know how soon she could work here? She wants to find a job and work to help me with the bills. I tell you what, the women of America could learn a lot from the women of China! I wish I would have met her before I met my ex-wife. (lol) Thanks again!
Aug 19, 2007 15:26
  • ROGERINCA
I do not like to advertise here, so I will send you a PM with some info on tickets. :)

I know a Chinese travel agent in Southern California, in a predominant Chinese/American community, who buys blocks of tickets to China, as 98% of his business is with ethnic Chinese customers. I use him and I have referred dozens of others to him. No one has beat him yet, and his quotes (good for 72 hours) always include the tax and security fees, unlike some other ‘discount’ providers who give a low-ball price to lure you in, then you find out it does not include tax or fees, which can add $200.00 to some tickets !!

Yes, Harbin is in a very far north and very cold portion of China. You are fortunate that you live in Michigan. Harbin is positioned just above the 45 degrees of latitude, and so is the Northern portion of Michigan. So this will not be such a shock to her body this coming winter !! :) If she were a Guangzhou girl, like my Lao Po, she would die going from Sub Tropical at 23.5 degrees latitude to your deep winter weather in Michigan. LOL

Is there going to be a large/significant time gap between her getting the visa and coming to the US ?? If so, then wait for her to come to the US and travel with her. If not, then go to the interview and then wait the 2 to 3 days for the visa to issue and come home together. Also, remember, the K-1 visa is good for sixty days from time of issuance at Guangzhou, to arrival time at the USCIS POE, in the US. It will expire, if not utilized within the 60 time period.

As to her working, she must first have the AOS, Adjustment of Status, completed before she is allowed to work. Usually this is about 60 to 90 days after the marriage date and you have filed these documents for AOS. Then she can get her SSN and can legally work.

I will be returning again in mid-September, for my Lao Po’s birthday and for the Moon Festival Holiday on the 25th. I fly out of LAX, non-stop on China Southern Airlines, direct to my now second home of Guangzhou. Having grown up in LA and having been a police officer in the LA region for so many years, I have great comfort navigating the large terminals and flying out of LAX.

Good Luck !!!

Aug 19, 2007 16:13
  • ROGERINCA
.........One last thought Ron….I don’t usually go down this road, on this site, however, I will for you.

You appear to be a mature individual; but just remember to be very patient with Lao Po after she arrives. I have [many] friends who have married women from China. Most have been very happy, but some not so happy. You can make this happen and be one of the successes, however, it takes a lot of attentive work, each and every day !! Trust me, at some later date, you will remember my words to you !!

It can take as long as two years for the acclimation process to occur with her. She will be homesick and the language/cultural differences, especially in Michigan, will be pronounced for her. Even if she assures you she will be ok, these feelings are normal/natural and they will occur.

You will have to be very patient and understanding with your new wife. She will miss her home, her friends, her family and the cuisine she is used to. Get a good calling card plan such as e-call china, or one of the internet based ones. Enable her to call home often. Let her know, that in a year or two, you will both be able to visit her family in Harbin again. This is important for her to have this comfort. Find a good Asian market where she can purchase ethnic foods and seasonings. Get CCTV on your cable TV service, subscribe to one of the Chinese newspapers in the US.

Love her, baby her, respect her, and never let yourself get impatient nor angry with her, if she is having a bad day.

When my Lao Po finally arrives here in California (with the largest ethnic Chinese population in the US) we will have known each other for over two and a half years. We will have been married for well over one year. I will have communicated with her on the telephone multiple times each and every day, and had a minimum of six visits to her and her family in China. Even with all of this, I still know I must work hard at the relationship, everyday she is here with me in the US, to ensure she is happy and adjusts well to the new culture and environment.

Last, there is an outstanding on-line support group here in America, which is dedicated exclusively to Americans (also there are a few members from Australia) who are in the K-1 or K-3 or other visa processes with Chinese women. This site can provide you many of the tools and information to help you meet the challenges of a marriage to a woman from China. You can ‘lurk’ as a guest and observe for a few days/weeks and then join as a member, so you can ask questions, interact, and obtain tremendous support. There is no cost.

I will add this info to my PM to you on the airline tickets.

Again, best wishes for your success !! :)
Aug 20, 2007 01:57
  • APAULT
hey Rog, that's marriage regardless of cultural backgrounds!
Aug 20, 2007 21:48
  • ROGERINCA
Yes Paul, that is absolutely correct !!! :)
Page 1 of 6    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: waiting for a fiance visa
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code