Menu
Spare the rod, spoil the child
Aug 28, 2007 22:22
  • PETERJOHN
Thanks Leonardo! That's why I think the difference is so subtle. Punishment carries a sense of "you did this, so we're going to get even with you." As in putting someone in jail for robbing a bank. I don't think discipline is as austere.

But you're right, perhaps retribution is the wrong word.
Sep 12, 2007 22:31
  • LEONARDO
PETERJOHN,

I agree with you. The difference between punishment and discipline is quite subtle.

Punishment carries a sense of "you did this, so we're going to get even with you." This is a very good point. When we were in the Childhood, punishment is not needed, but disciplince should be indispensable.

The ancient sage are right. " Spare the rod, spoil the child."
Sep 13, 2007 18:57
  • GRIZ326
My friend told me his rule for disciplining his children when they were young. It is a good rule.

*** Never physically discipline (spank) your children when you are angry.

He made his children cut the "switch" he would spank them with; while they were trying to find a little stick, he would regain his composure. Then he would spank them without anger so the discipline administered was proportional to the offense.
Sep 22, 2007 03:30
  • LEOPOLD219
Peterjohn and Griz,

Have you ever been spanked by your parents in your Childhood? Or have you spanked your kids? What are your good parenting skills? Recently, I have heard that the juvenile delinquency has increased a great deal in China due to some doting parents' bad parenting skills?
Sep 22, 2007 18:17
  • GRIZ326
Did my parents spank me? Absolutely! My mother "beat the living daylight" out of us countless times...one time breaking the blood vessels in her spanking hand.

I never spanked my daughter. I should have. It took some tough talking with my daughter to get her "to straighten up and fly right." Thankfully she had some concern of what I thought about her or the tough talk would not have worked.

I do not know if I have good parenting skills; in fact, I doubt that I do.
Sep 22, 2007 22:31
  • MELODYCHOW
I always can't stand those parents who spoil their children much, but, of course, I also can't go for those who always bring up their children with beat and scold. Good parents skills should stand to sense, be encouraging and be positive... make kids to be aware of their mistakes themselves, not you.... Thus they can behave themselves consciously.

Oct 7, 2007 17:44
  • PETERJOHN
Yes, I was spanked by both my parents several times, but never when they were angry at me. I am the youngest of 13 children, so my parents were probably much more mellow with me than with the first few kids.

I've never been married, so I don't have any kids.
Oct 15, 2007 03:37
  • SUNNYDREAM
Using force to discipline the kids is an embodiment of bad parenting skills. For me, it sounds that the parents are incapable. I call this kind of parents " Bullying Parents" . Is it "the rod" necessary for spending a peaceful adolescence? Probably not.
Nov 8, 2007 01:20
GUEST25104 Im the second of three daughters in the family, Im 21 years old now,my father is very strict where once I went to shopping complex with my friends without informing. I reach home and got cane on my legs and basically in bare bottom. i was not allow to go anywhere with friends from that on.
Nov 8, 2007 02:28
  • LEONARDO
GUEST25104,
I think your father may be out of good intention. Well, she is a little bit hard on you.

Sunnydream,
Quote:
"Using force to discipline the kids is an embodiment of bad parenting skills. For me, it sounds that the parents are incapable. I call this kind of parents " Bullying Parents" ."

Well, IMO, most parents disciplined their kids for the good of their kids. There are quite few " bullying parents" indeed. As long as we grow up, we will understand them.
Page 2 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Spare the rod, spoil the child
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code