Menu
Chinese Marriage
Mar 1, 2008 07:46
  • ROB04216
Hello Tsotan, I am from the USA so I don't know about the UK. I would contact your embassy in China and see if they could help. It worked for me. Good luck.
Mar 4, 2008 01:44
I'm from the UK, I took my divorce paperwork to a solicitor and made my declaration on oath that I was still single, this cost £50, I then took it to the Foreign and commonwealth office to get it certified this cost £25 and only took about 30 mins, I then took it to the Chinese Embassy to get it notorized this cost £25 and takes 4 days although I had mine done on the express service of 2 days, I then brought it with me to China and presented it at the registry office in Changsha filled in the paperwork, had our photo taken together, we then read out our vows paid the money which was about 420 RMB and then the marriage licence was issued, this was all completed in in less than 1 hour, I didn't even have to get my paperwork translated, it was much easier than I thought.
I hope this helps anyone who wish to marry in China.
I plan to get my marriage blessed in Church once my wife joins me here in the UK.
Alan
Mar 6, 2008 04:21
  • DODGER
Alan,
the Church blessing is a nice touch IMO as the RO is a little cold.
Dodger
Mar 6, 2008 08:42
  • ROB04216
Alan,
It always is interesting to hear of the differences from province to province. We had our marriage registered in Urumqi, (the area where my wife is from) it was a long process compared to yours, it took most of a day. We had already been married in a Catholic Church in Beijing so maybe that made some difference, I do remember that we had to pay the fee at a bank across town. The registar could not accept payment. I too needed a copy of my single certificate and a picture of the both of us along with my travel documents. The process was smooth but a little time consuming.

That process is nothing compared to getting a visa for her to come to the USA. Is it a long and confusing process to bring your wife to the UK? I am curious to find out if it is just the USA that is difficult or if other countries do the same. I am looking at 2009 before my wife and step-daughter will be able to come here. To be fair there was some incorrect paperwork on my wifes end that needed to be cleared up before the USA process could start. I am interested to know how long it takes for you to bring your wife back to the UK, Good luck.

Rob
Mar 6, 2008 10:31
Hi Rob.
I have seen the application form for her applcation, most of it I helped her with, we haven't actually submitted it yet because ( a ) I didn't have enough money with me, the fee is £500 or 8,000 RMB, I'm working as much as I can to raise the money quickly subject to my health allowing me to anyway.
And ( b ) I still need some paperwork that I must supply such as a copy of my decree absolute from my previous marriage and a reference from my company confirming my employment.
Hopefully this will be resolved fairly quickly.
I hope you get your wife to the states soon.
Alan
Mar 7, 2008 11:44
  • JCC8111969
Can someone help me please? How long do I have to stay In china before I get marry to My china girl.
Mar 7, 2008 11:51
  • JCC8111969
Can someone help me please? How long do I have to stay In china before I get marry to My china girl and do I need to have My Divorced Certified Translated In Chinese? I live in USA MISSOURI. What all I need to do to marry My girl in china.
Mar 7, 2008 12:25
  • ROB04216
As far as I know there is no time limit for you to stay in China. I was there about a week before I was married. As far as the divorce certificate, take it to the consulate or embassy they will give you a certificate of marriageability, you will need to have that translated. Good luck to you.
Mar 8, 2008 20:30
  • BARONTWANGLE
JCC8111969 (great name - really rolls off the tongue nicely!).

I would suggest that you spend a little time and money on English lessons before anything else. No offence (that is the proper British way of spelling it), but it seems you can't string a simple sentence together. If English is not your first language then accept my apologies, but if you are American, then please go back to school before you think about getting married to some poor Chinese lady. It'll be in everyone's favour.

Mar 13, 2008 10:42
GUEST21757 I have just started receiving correspondence from women of the Chnlove agencies. I am concerned that perhaps these women are just shills for the agency itself, there just to generate income from correspondence fees. Does anyone have actual experience to share regarding this agency?
Page 3 of 12    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Chinese Marriage
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code