Menu
Coming back for 30-60 days...
Aug 27, 2007 15:41
  • GRIZ326
I hope to return to Nanning after hunting season here; probably around Christmas and I intend to stay 30-60 days. I will come to China on a tourist visa but the plan is to continue working my regular job over the internet (hoping my boss approves this idea).

Is this likely to be a problem???

Will I need to renew my visa after staying 30 days? ...and does that mean a trip to Hong Kong???

Will I be able to get DSL bandwidth (or more) to the Internet???

Will I be able to set up a VPN connection to my company across the Great Firewall of China?

Aug 27, 2007 19:33
  • NEWBBIE
Hi Griz! Hunting Season? Where? And what do you hunt for?
Aug 27, 2007 19:35
  • WINDENERGY
GRIZ326,

Most of the schools that I have worked for provide a computer with an ADSL broadband connection. The speed of this connection is generally 100Mbps. Using a notebook (laptop) computer here is very easily done from any "hotspot" with wireless connectivity. The "Great Chinese Firewall" that you have mentioned, MAY prevent you access to prohibited websites in China.

If you are planning to stay more than 30 days, then why not get a 90 day , Type-F business visa? Although there is a small fee, it will save you from having to go on a "Visa Run" to Hong Kong. And, yes, once your 30-day tourist visa expires, you have to leave China and apply for another.

I hope this helps,

__WINDENERGY__
Aug 27, 2007 19:58
  • BBQQ
I don't think there will be problems connecting your company unless it against China's law.
Aug 27, 2007 21:28
  • GRIZ326
...I never considered a business visa...

Perhaps I could hold some trainings at our offices in Guangzhou, Chengdu, Shanghai and Beijing that would legitimize that request! :-)

Aug 27, 2007 21:40
  • PETERJOHN
The Chinese visa officer can extend your Duration of Stay more than 30 days if you request (that's a fact). It doesn't necessarily mean he will, but he can. I don't know how common this is or if it's something that's easy to get or difficult though.

I seriously doubt you'll have much luck connecting to a VPN (I'm an IT guy). However, connecting to your intranet (if your company has one) shouldn't be a problem over the internet from China.

Aug 28, 2007 06:13
  • APAULT
I have met other people doing this, working out of hostels with free wireless connections (not all have this). If you don't want dorm accom, most of the hostels have single rooms. The one I discussed it with most had managed to arrange a business visa. Provided you are not seeking business in China there is no reason why you cannot do this on a tourist visa... many people need to keep in touch with their workplace. I have lost touch with the technical acronyms but you should not have any problem. The firewall will prevent you accessing some sites...maybe firearms sites!

As discussed in many threads you should be able to obtain a 3 month tourist visa.
Aug 28, 2007 11:47
  • GRIZ326
I was able to connect and to browse gunbroker.com while I was in China last month, Paul...so not a problem. ...but the VPN concerns me because that is the only way to connect across the internet to our corporate resources.

As for what I will be hunting in November: pronghorn antelope, mule deer, white tailed deer, and elk.

Aug 28, 2007 21:08
  • NEWBBIE
Hey Griz,

Exactly where's the hunt taking place? Exactly which dates? Mind if I tag along? What's the cost like?
Aug 29, 2007 10:21
  • GRIZ326
We sleep out on the eastern Montana prarie the 2nd and 3rd weeks of November; the rattlesnakes are hibernating then so they are not a problem. Snow, freezing rain and high winds are common at that time of year with day time temperatures around 20 F and night time temperatures much colder.

The trip itself does not cost much, just three tanks of diesel fuel and food for two weeks. The clothing and camping equipment required for the harsh weather is very costly. Each firearm costs around $1000 USD. Hunting licenses for Montana residents are $14 USD for each animal. US citizens coming to Montana to hunt have a special application process and very high licensing fees (about $500).

But to answer the most important part of your post:
>>>Mind if I tag along?

I mean no offense, but my hunting partner and I hunt alone or hunt together. A big reason for that is safety. We've learned to hunt safely together over many years and a few very close calls. A hunting drive with 3 or more people can be extremely dangerous even for experienced hunters. We do not take extra people into the field with us either as hunters or observers; safety is our concern.

This thread has sure wandered far off the question! ;-)
Aug 29, 2007 12:54
  • GRIZ326
My apologies...I forgot to run my spellchecker and did not find my I misspelling of the word prairie.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Coming back for 30-60 days...
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code