Menu
expat life on hainan island, south
Jan 10, 2009 22:41
  • JAAP
Ok Guys,

My name is Jaap (Dutch), and I live in Haikou.

For coffee... There are a few restaurants which serve pretty nice coffee. My favorite is Pizza Corner. (located near KFC, 2nd Floor GuoMao Street). Nearby, going from there to the Police Bureau (Where you apply for visa) is SFR coffee, but I have never tried that one. Pizza Hut is not to bad either.
Furthermore you can buy the Nescafee (instant) coffee, which is n't too bad, but, compare to pizza corner coffeem it is just water with a color.
There must be a Pizza Corner in Sanya as well (no, I am not a shareholder), but I haven't got the address. If someone would like to know, I can ask arround.
International Schools, I have no idea, but if there are, don't expect to much... Better is to go to a local school where they teach english as well, especially when the kid is very young, they will pickup the chinese very easy, and since China is the largest country in the world, Chinese will become more and more important.
Sanya is nice and beautifull, but too hot for me... Haikou in summer time is up to 35 C, Sanya would be up to 40+.
GUEST42150:
I am an ICT-professional my self (MCSE, MCITP, MCNE, CCNA), but it isn't of any use here. There are no corporate networks or what so ever, and everybody think they are a expert here (they learn by trial and error). The Haikou university does not provide a high-tech science class, it is more like a language university so maybe your wife can teach spanish there. For English they are looking for native speakers (but i think they will be having a hard time to find one). At a high-school I am afraid it ain't there and if it would, the classes would be in Chinese, since most of the Chinese here don't speak English, and certainly not at a level required for a tech-class.
Learning Chinese is a must here in Haikou if you would like to find your way arround, unless you have a Chinese girlfriend who can be with you 24 hours a day.
Jan 11, 2009 03:23
  • RANYA
HELLO!

WE ARE FROM OREGON, AND HAVE BEEN HERE ALMOST 1 YEAR, LIVING AT SHEMIE BAY, HOUR AWAY FROM SANYA,
AND POSSIBLY LOOKING INTO MOVING TO SANYA IN MARCH. MY HUSBAND, WORKING IN THE AREA FOR A COUPLE YEARS.
HOMESCHOOLING A 10 YEAR OLD BOY, LOOKING FOR OTHER FAMILIES WITH THE SAME SIMILARITIES.
LOOKING FOR CHILDREN!
ANY OUT THERE? WOULD LOVE TO MEET!
Jan 14, 2009 00:09
GUEST72167 Hi everyone.

I received a postion in Hailou. At first I was very excited, but after some internet exploration I am confused.
Is Haikou safe for an American man. Do the locals really not like Westerners.

Input from anyone living in Haikou past or present would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Jan 15, 2009 03:47
  • JAAP
Hi GUEST72167,

I am in Haikou, and I didn't notice anything you mentioned here. But... I am not American...
Just kidding... It is nice here, and people are nice too. My wife's uncle is an American too and he would say the same thing... Maybe it depends on where you are in the city.
It is very nice here.

ciao,
Jaap
Jan 15, 2009 10:02
GUEST42115 Hello,
My wife and I are interested in living in or near Sanya. Can anyone tell us what life is like - housing (buy), prices, people, way of life etc. This wouldn't be before next year. We have a two year old. Is Mandarin spoken/taught in the schools? In other words will my son be around people who are speaking Mandarin or just a dialect? What was the most difficult thing about living on Hainan Island. Any info is appreciated. thanks, Vince/Sheyla
Jan 17, 2009 03:27
GUEST72167 Hi Vince / Sheyla,

Mandarin is not spoken here on Hainan Island. If your two year old goes to school here he should learn Hainanese after years of school and immersion, no problem. Hainanese seems to be only language spoken on Island espescially down south. You can certainly enroll the little one in formal Mandarin classes in Haikou. Hainanese and Mandarin are very different languages and not dialects of the same language. Please google and do some research for yourselves and espescially the little one.

Good Luck to you.
Cheers
Jan 17, 2009 04:09
  • JABAROOTOO
People do speak Mandarin and it is a compulsory subject in all Chinese schools.

However there are several local dialects including Hainanese and other minority languages which many of the islanders speak in everyday life.

Sanya is a great place to live but you need to come and investigate for yourselves and decide where the best location for you to rent and buy. It can be more expensive than other places in China but.......it is also nicer in many ways that other parts of China.

Google the local Sanya/Hainan expat sites for more contacts and relevant information. There is a large expat community here and lots of tourists predominately Russian at the moment.
Jan 20, 2009 19:08
  • JAAP
In Haikou, also Hainan, they speak mandarin. True, the people, if from hainan, will speak the local language here, but they all know mandarin and will speak if you address them in mandarin. I don't know about the south since I haven't been there (yet)
But according to my wife in Sanya the situation is different. There they speak the local language like mentioned by GUEST72167.
Jan 28, 2009 10:06
GUEST10249 Are there no international schools in Sanya? We have a 8 year old boy and he was born in Los Angeles and have attended international schools (tho' we are what I call overseas Chinese). We reside in Arcadia, CA east of Pasadena and have never been to Hainan. Hope you can help. Email me yahoo.com|prlst Thanks Paul
Feb 17, 2009 21:40
  • JOANPU
I can help any of you with golf, if you need help, pls let me know by sending me an e-mail: openfairwaysasia.com|joan
Enjoy your living in Sanya!
Page 3 of 7    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: expat life on hainan island, south
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code