Menu
Visa Application with Criminal Background
Sep 19, 2011 19:24
GUEST43144 This is nice to know guys. Thanks for the advise as I too am looking for a Z visa in the next year. I have probably more grounding than you guys do (family) and it's very important to me right now.
Sep 20, 2011 20:39
GUEST51139 So - based on all of this, I intend to check "no" about my misdemeanor 15 years ago - in Los Angeles - for a tourist visa. I will have hotel and people in Shanghai to list as visiting. Shall I be able to sleep at night again, folks? Your response is appreciated.
Sep 21, 2011 00:16
GUEST11144 And another one:
Misdemeanor, disturbing the peace, $50 fine, non-violent
I can't apply in person.
I'm going to teach English to Chinese students. I'm starting out on a tourist visa then switching to a work one. This may be different since I'll be in Shanghai when converting the visas.
Sep 21, 2011 22:22
GUEST55168 I'm kind of in the same boat with a former dui. I work in photography and had a last minute job come up in china. think the consulate we'll be sending this to is the one in san francisco.

i can't really take a chance on this trip to china, so i'm stuck AND we're slated to start the project october 14th.

guess my question is: anyone here who has actually 'ADMITTED' it and explained the extenuating circumstances and had it go well?

reason i ask is this stuff came back to bite me recently as i'd always been up to canada to work with no problem, then they ran me once b/c i was wearing prescription sunglasses and when i took them off i was squinting. for some reason, that got me pulled over into the interrogation room.

they found a former dui that i received in graduate school, then as a consequence of satisfying all the probation/mandates from the courts, i had to spend 48hrs in jail after my move to washington state. the dui happened in march of 2005 and think i spent the time in jail like march 2006.

when the canadian border guys started asking me about things, they said 'tell me what happened in iowa' i told them that was supposed to be off the record, then he said 'well what this arrest in washington state?' i went on and on and about it and they rather understood but told me if i'd come back thru canada and got ran, i could be barred b/c it hadn't been 10 years.

i wasn't up in CAN for work that trip, but they still let me through. . .
Sep 22, 2011 01:31
GUEST55168 oops. okay - went back and read a fair amount of the text here.

think i'll be marking 'no'
Sep 22, 2011 08:51
GUEST13101 what does ten years have to do with anything?
Sep 26, 2011 21:11
GUEST51139 Does anyone know if the Los Angeles Embassy does background checks for tourist visas?
Sep 27, 2011 21:29
GUEST51139 I was advised by an attorney that the embassy will do an NCIC check - and lying will deny it.
Oct 6, 2011 02:30
GUEST75186 The Canada 10 year rule is common here in Minnesota. We fish up in Ontario, a couple of the guys have DUI's and since the new passport rules came into effect have not been able to enter. Canada is blocking entry for DUI's less then 10 years old. But again it is not all of the agents, some just seem to be bigger pricks then others. And I wish the US side of the border would start to make it an even show, and block Canucks with same charges from coming into the USA then too.
Oct 7, 2011 01:22
GUEST13101 no chinese embassy does background checks. why is everyone so worried and paranoid?
Page 32 of 47    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Visa Application with Criminal Background
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code