Menu
Visa Application with Criminal Background
Jul 4, 2012 15:59
GUEST51193 I am applying for a Chinese Tourist VISA, and have a UK caution for possession of a class c drug. This is not a CONVICTION, no court hearing etc. Technically a slap on the wrist, but would turn up on a enhanced CRB check....

If I select "No" on the criminal record question, surely there's no way of them accessing that information from the police database?!

I just don't see how that would be shared between countries, however convictions, jail time etc. Obviously would be flagged up immediately.

You guys reckon I would get away with it?
Jul 8, 2012 20:16
  • ENID
Hi GUEST87108, Immigration will not check criminal backgrounds if you already got your Z visa. The Z visa should be changed into a residence permit after your first entry, and it allows free exit and entry within its validity.
Jul 8, 2012 20:23
  • ENID
And GUEST51193, it will not be a problem if it is not a CONVICTION. Don't worry too much, tourist visa is short term visit visa to China, it does not require check of criminal record.
Jul 23, 2012 19:44
GUEST03214 Just to finally let everyone know. I applied for a visa through abriggs and got it in the mail in exactly one week with regular processing. I said NO on the application and I have a felony within the last 3 years. I did read people said yes and they let them through. So I don't think that uestion matters much unless it's something like treason.
Aug 15, 2012 09:38
GUEST11255 I have been to prison for abh and was wondering if i could get a visa to go work in australia
Aug 17, 2012 17:38
GUEST29246 Hey just wanted to let you guys know, I checked no on the criminal question. I got my 6 month dual entry F visa today :D sometimes lie and deny the man proof :D
Aug 18, 2012 14:10
GUEST56198 I recently applied for a Chinese visa thru a courier service for a business trip. I am a US citizen and convicted felon and answered "yes" to the question about criminal records. I was approved for the visa but it did take longer than usual. I applied at the same time as a coworker who does not have a criminal record. We both chose to expedite the visas as much as possible, he received his that day and mine took 3-4 days. Following advice from this thread I first sent the application in with a very brief description which basically said "In 2004 I was convicted of a crime where I allowed the use of my vehicle for someone to flee the scene of a fight they were involved in". The courier service came back and said that I would need to send in court papers showing that I am no longer under any obligation to the courts. I had to go to the courthouse and retrieve a certified copy of the journal entry in my case which stated that I had fulfilled the terms of my sentencing and that I was under no supervision or obligation of the court. With that the courier service submitted my application but the consulate came back asking for a more detailed personal account of the crime. I sent them about a 1.5 page long word doc with one paragraph about the details of the event and another paragraph talking about how remorseful I am, how I've never been in trouble before or after that, etc. I do not know if the consulate has set rules for whether or not they approve a visa for a person convicted of a crime but it seems more that they want full disclosure of what happened. Good luck and I hope my advice helps / eases some worry if you are applying with a criminal record. For those of you saying to just put "no", I think thats terrible advice as lying on those forms is a felony in itself. Getting the visa is one thing, getting thru customs could be very different if they decide to run you, or even worse if you are in China and something goes down and you get detained by police.
Aug 21, 2012 09:21
GUEST52485 I think you may have seen one of my posts about admitting and a brief summary. They didn't ask me for additional details on 3 f.l.nies at different times. Passed both times. I don't disclose it anymore. I think it depends how you word it on the app.
Aug 21, 2012 17:35
GUEST56198 I made the post above this one and wanted to add that I officially received my Visa today and noticed that while both me and my coworker applied for multiple visas they gave us different ones, presumably because of my criminal record. He received what he requested a Visa good for a year and up to 90 days duration. Mine is only good for a few months and 30 day duration. This works fine for me and I hope that by receiving this its easier to get one in the future but wanted to let you all know that this might happen. They didnt say anything at all about it so it also could just be a mixup but figured I'd let you know.
Sep 1, 2012 02:55
GUESTSCHON13 Hi,

I am planning on going to China in about a month to visit family. I was originally born in China and came to Canada when I was five years old. I am a Canadian Citizen. I was charged with extortion earlier in the year but won't be convicted in court until after the trip to China. Will I have any issues applying for a Visa if I have a pending court date for my conviction?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Page 36 of 47    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Visa Application with Criminal Background
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code